I do love this hobby.

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I love this hobby.
I love the hunt for parts, chasing down leads and tips on classics that have been out of sight for years. Some pan out, some don’t. That “old Dodge” is sometimes an ‘82 Omni.
Yippee!
Sometimes it is better than that. Most people are NOT car enthusiasts like us. An old car might as well be an old dishwasher to people like that.
A few days ago, I got a call….”Hey Greg, do you want a parts car”?
Of course I do.
I get this picture….

e5493937-e8cc-43d0-874f-2150434fe420-jpeg.jpg

Okay…not a ‘68 Road Runner or a69 340 Dart but I am still interested.

I make plans for Friday and got a buddy to help out.
I drove in today to find this:

f5afc0ab-580d-4ee9-abda-dbf5c13b43b5-jpeg.jpg

Yeah…we have been getting a LOT of rain lately. This car is within 2 miles from the San Francisco Bay so it rained even more there.
Two inches of water was all around the car. This usually isn’t a problem but this car has been sitting in this exact same spot since at least 2002. I looked at the address on Google Earth and all photos prior to 2002 were too blurry to see anything.

1680313555373-png.png

Sitting this long with salty air meant that the brakes were likely rusted. Through some crazy luck, the fronts were fine. I did have to cut off the right rear drum so the axle shaft would spin.
The car was facing a fence to a narrow alley….

The ground was soft and I had to get through this gate way:

rust-5-jpg.jpg

I had to drive down this alley and block it.....
rust-6-jpg.jpg

I used chain and this to pull the car out of the muck....

rust-4-jpg.jpg

Even though it rolled, I couldn't push it. The ground was too slippery to get traction. I had to chain to a pole and winch it up....

rust-7-jpg.jpg

The alley was so narrow, I had to pull into the street to get the ramps out. They slide in from each side.
It is going to need some work:

rust-25-jpg.jpg

For all of you that hear and believe that California cars don't rust, I say
B-A-L-D-E-R-D-A-S-H.

rust-8-jpg.jpg

rust-9-jpg.jpg

rust-11-jpg.jpg

Yeah, it isn't as bad as many Northeast cars but I had hoped for more.

rust-12-jpg.jpg

rust-13-jpg.jpg

rust-14-jpg.jpg

This car has been off the road longer than it was on the road.

rust-15-jpg.jpg

Original paint!

rust-16-jpg.jpg

rust-21-jpg.jpg

Remember these silly alarms that people installed years ago? The keyed cylinder on the fender was common in the 70s.
You can see it above the "Gold Duster" decal.

rust-22-jpg.jpg

rust-23-jpg.jpg

rust-24-jpg.jpg

Vinyl tops are the devil!

Every panel has some rust.

rust-31-jpg.jpg

rust-20-jpg.jpg

rust-27-jpg.jpg

rust-17-jpg.jpg

This is a low optioned model....Slant six, automatic, Power disc brakes! No A/C, no fold down rear seat, tiny 7 1/4" axle.
The only stuff that didn't rust is the plastic.

rust-28-jpg.jpg

rust-30-jpg.jpg

1974 model...Big bumpers.

Rust 33.JPG

This needs a correction:

rust-34-jpg.jpg

I'll part it out anyway.
The floors are rusted through. Who knows if the frame rails are any good. The front disc brake setup is worth something and there are numerous other small bits that may interest someone.
What do you expect for $400 ?

The guy also had THIS '70 Duster.....

x-1-jpg.jpg

It is in a LOT better shape but still needs lower quarters and who knows what else. He wants $1500 for it, a buddy told him it isn't worth more than $700. All of these cars are small bolt pattern, 95% are drum brake, 7 1/4" axle and at least 60% seem to be slant six models.

This guy texted me pictures of yet another....

jbxc7991-jpg.jpg

cbli6907-jpg.jpg

Back in 2007-2008, I was stumbling over these cars....all for around or under $500. For many years, it seemed that the supply just dried up but suddenly they seem to be getting discovered again.

Wow. Too bad we're so far away. I'd love to have another slanty.

I don't know what caused this car to be parked for so long. The engine looks complete.

Wow. Too bad we're so far away. I'd love to have another slanty.

You can have it for the cost of shipping.

1 laugh 3.jpg

The wiring is unmolested. The only modifications this car seems to have is that alarm.
If it were a 340 car, it would be tempting to save it.

I don't know what caused this car to be parked for so long. The engine looks complete.

You can have it for the cost of shipping.

View attachment 1716071410

The wiring is unmolested. The only modifications this car seems to have is that alarm.
If it were a 340 car, it would be tempting to save it.
Man that's a swiss-cheese special, worse than a lot here in Seattle-East, even with PENNDOT doing their best with mag-chloride brine, sodium & calcium chlorides, damn!!!
Don't forget to actually check the 7.25 for a SG. Cool retrieval...lots of useful items there I'm sure.

That looks like FL rust. Mostly from the top down.

I imagine anywhere that gets salt water rain gets that.

Yikes. It looks a lot like my 74 Dart parts car, which has rust holes all over that you can stick your hand through.

That's a great parts car.
Seeing that it's a slant 6 power brake car, it will have a BBP front disc brake set up and a BBP 7 1/4 rear end if it's never been changed.
I picked up lots of cars like this over the years and sold parts off them because I had a place to keep them.
They are a gold mine if you find a good body to fix up and need a lot of little things...

I'm glad I handed this one off to you Greg, we all have some interesting adventures picking up parts cars for sure!

-
Back