I feel like a disc jockey...

-

Krooser

Building Chinese Free Engines since 1959...
Reaction score
That flipped a record to the B side...

So it's been a long while since I have been here (I can hear the sighs of disappointment that I'm back!)...

My favorite Mopars have always been '63 - '70 B bodies... mainly Plymouths. Just like their styling.

This past September I missed a local Mopar auction...a dispersal of a deceased collector. Never heard about it.

Then I saw an ad for a '65 Coronet for sale at a great price.

I stopped to look at it while on a trip to the Doc. My wife was in the jump seat of my daily. I reassured her that I wasn't buying anything today...this has got to be a rust bucket at the sellers asking price.

It took me two minutes to break my promise. The seller was a real d*ck... a Chevy guy. Wanted this thing out if his yard.

He bought three cars at that auction I missed... this was one of them.

Two hours later I had the car on a rollback headed to it's new home.

This car will not be a restoration... more like a rust-o-ration. More original than modified.

An original 273/904 car, I have a $100 80's 318 for it. The car is getting a 4 speed conversion. Has a 2.94 one legger rear...that will stay for a while.

One hole in the floor pan near the dimmer switch. One hole over the rear axle. Minor rust out in the lower 1/4's. A few dents and some previous bondo work on the front of the left quarter panel.

Rockers are solid. Almost zero surface rust on the unibody. Has OEM undercoat.

Southern car.

Got a title.

Came with the original hood and one front fender. Got one non original front fender.

I have been gathering parts since I bought it. Have 90% of the trans parts. Found Satellite front seats. Bought a bumper and some trim bits.

Not much has been done on the project. I have a shoulder replacement coming up Jan 8th.

I will be on it when I can.

Right now it is hiding in plain sight on my lift in my shop.

IMG_20231014_212232353.jpg

IMG_20230921_191610028.jpg

IMG_20230912_185531463.jpg

IMG_20230912_185502798.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, can't beat a nice 65. Keep us posted on your progress.

That flipped a record to the B side...

So it's been a long while since I have been here (I can hear the sighs of disappointment that I'm back!)...

My favorite Mopars have always been '63 - '70 B bodies... mainly Plymouths. Just like their styling.

This past September I missed a local Mopar auction...a dispersal of a deceased collector. Never heard about it.

Then I saw an ad for a '65 Coronet for sale at a great price.

I stopped to look at it while on a trip to the Doc. My wife was in the jump seat of my daily. I reassured her that I wasn't buying anything today...this has got to be a rust bucket at the sellers asking price.

It took me two minutes to break my promise. The seller was a real d*ck... a Chevy guy. Wanted this thing out if his yard.

He bought three cars at that auction I missed... this was one of them.

Two hours later I had the car on a rollback headed to it's new home.

This car will not be a restoration... more like a rust-o-ration. More original than modified.

An original 273/904 car, I have a $100 80's 318 for it. The car is getting a 4 speed conversion. Has a 2.94 one legger year...that will stay for a while.

One hole in the floor pan near the dimmer switch. One hole over the rear axle. Minor rust out in the lower 1/4's. A few dents and some previous bondo work on the front of the right quarter.

I have been gathering parts since I bought it. Have 90% of the trans parts. Found Satellite front seats. Bought a bumper and some trim bits.

Not much has been done on the project. I have a shoulder replacement coming up Jan 8th.

I will be on it when I can.

Right now it is hiding in plain sight on my lift in my shop.

View attachment 1716180484

View attachment 1716180489

View attachment 1716180491

View attachment 1716180495
Damn, can't beat a nice 65. Keep us posted on your progress.
I am looking for a 64. I would love a 273 (or Poly). THat 273 I would build and dress like a HP mill with the valve covers, 4 barrel and air cleaner.

Wiring is intact...dash is untouched...needs parking brake cables...all glass is good...windows roll up and down...vinyl roof looks like it was attacked by badgers.

IMG_20230922_162626544.jpg

IMG_20230922_162901940.jpg

IMG_20230922_162920051.jpg

IMG_20230928_164931732.jpg

IMG_20230928_164923278.jpg

IMG_20230928_162601505.jpg

That is really clean
Didn't expect that. Has 1980's plates.

It's nice that all that little stuff is intact...wiring, glass, most if the chrome. All expensive and time consuming.

If I was doing a total resto that stuff wouldn't matter so much but to a 75 year old on SS and working a PT job that means a lot.

My days of building $7,000 engines are over. This is my last ever project. I want to drive it in 2024 before I assume room temperature...

Well I have the engine figured out...

Reminder...this is a budget build...you have no idea!

Bought a used 318 from an un named member here whom I have known for many years.

Didn't spin over when I dragged it home but a little Earl down the cylinders got her freed up.

$100 well spent.

All it's getting is a 340 cam (maybe), 1970 340 intake and Magnum exhaust manifolds.

Done...

Right now I'm installing a new used timing chain and a hardware kit. Fixing a dent in the oil pan. Cleaning up the oil pan and intake gasket surfaces. It's a '73 engine...using the stock single point dizzy.

The spark plugs looked good so I will use those again. Got a good set of seven spark plug wires that came off my last 351-C race engine in 1988. Should fit OK.

I can hear you guys groaning! That's alright.

Got a juice clutch setup...bought a new hyd. slave cylinder and have a few race masters to choose from in my stash. I have to fabricate a bracket for the slave and make a hole for the master pushrod.

Going to go thru the brakes...no I'm not installing a dual master cylinder.

Got new fuel lines from Inland Tube...cheap enough not to bend up my own.

I got a good tip from an A body owner this week... he bought a Valiant and used an electric fuel pump to get the dead gas outta the tank. Good idea. Sez the car runs great...I will give it a try if for no other reason than to get it running.

That's the update from Coronet Headquarters here in Cheeseville.

Now back to you regular programming.

That should be a nice cruiser. I’m interested in what slave you use and how you mount it. Take and post some pics when you get there if you don’t mind.

That should be a nice cruiser. I’m interested in what slave you use and how you mount it. Take and post some pics when you get there if you don’t mind.
I bought a push type slave from Speedway Motors which is very close to the Toyota Corona units I used in the early 70's on my dirt cars.

$54 as I recall.

1711793410386.png

I will make my own pushrod.

I will fab the bracket from a chunk of 1/8" cold rolled steel I have. Use some sort of brake hose mounted to one of the master cylinders I have left over from my dirt late model.

IMG_20231009_162120260_PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back