I found my old 1965 Barracuda yesterday

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
Yesterday, Hagerty's Auto Classic Insurance posted on their Facebook page, a 360 degree view of the inside of a 65 Barracuda. I opened it and instantly recognized it as my old Barracuda. I couldn't believe it. I sold about 20 years ago. They have it displayed in their showroom. A few things have changed, such as replacing the shifter ball with a t handle, adding a set of gauges under the factory a/c vents, and painting the middle grille black, instead of the original white.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

The car is a factory 2bbl 273, auto, with factory air. The original motor was long gone when I bought it. It did have a 77 318 in it when I got it. The passenger fender had been replaced with a OEM Mopar fender sometime early in its life. The drivers fender was bent back and the wheel opening was torched to clear the tire in the front. There were no indications of any v-8 or Commando emblems ever being installed. I chose to not put anything back on when I took it to bare metal and rebuilt it. I wanted to keep it low profile for all the 5.0 Fox Mustangs the young airmen were driving. When I sold it, it never had any emblems on it.

The car is a factory 2bbl 273, auto, with factory air. The original motor was long gone when I bought it. It did have a 77 318 in it when I got it. The passenger fender had been replaced with a OEM Mopar fender sometime early in its life. The drivers fender was bent back and the wheel opening was torched to clear the tire in the front. There were no indications of any v-8 or Commando emblems ever being installed. I chose to not put anything back on when I took it to bare metal and rebuilt it. I wanted to keep it low profile for all the 5.0 Fox Mustangs the young airmen were driving. When I sold it, it never had any emblems on it.
Cool to hear from you the story of the car. At least my eyesight was correct.

I noticed their photo has Commando Emblems and do not see them in yours.
I have a old photo from the day I sold it, but for some reason it will not load. I think it is too big(guessing) if I can figure it out and I did get some more photos today of the inside. If I can get them both to load I will post them and let you decide if it is the same car or not. After building it and driving it for all those years I have no doubts.

image.jpeg

Cool to hear from you the story of the car. At least my eyesight was correct.
It looks like they have also painted the center grille black, they changed the insturment bezel(I had painted it silver with black insert because I never had any reference and nothing was available aftermarket), changed the round white shifter knob to a t handle.

Wow thats cool Mike. Its got to be the same car. It ended up all the way in michigan, and did the power tour in 2009 from the looks of the sticker in the windshield. Looks like your old barracuda is an accomplished traveller.

I remember your old barracuda its got to be the same car. The one pic up top looks like you snapped it outside Cooper HS auto body shop. Looks like it has been well cared for all these years. The paint you sprayed on it all those years ago appears to have held up well.

After seeing the dog dishes and steelies on your cuda all those years ago, it had an effect on me. I plan on the same setup for my 67 except no beauty rings. Thanks for the memory bro.

Last edited:
Thanks Matt! The dog dishes and beauty rings were there because I was poor and could not afford anything chrome or aluminum! I bought the rear wheels off of a 65 Dart convertible out at 600. They were 14x7 or 8 chrome reverse steel wheels that had rusted so I blasted them and painted them black. I wanted to use the factory sport hub caps, but there was no way to get the lug nuts to show thru, so I went with this instead. I wanted to hide the fact of wider rear tires and the dog dishes and trim rings did that. I ran around town with 4.30s in it for a while, trolling for Cameros and Mustangs. Wait at a stoplight, let them get cocky and when the light turned let her loose!

-
Back