I got my first craigslist scammer

-

jjr426

Reaction score
Hey guys I feel special I got my first craigslist scammer today:-D. I just wanted to thank you guys for posting this stuff earlier so I knew what to be on the lookout for, I don't know if I would have fallen for this but still It's nice to know what to look out for. So I just figured I'd post this to show other people what to be on the lookout for so hopefully no one here falls for their scams.

Hello I really appreciate your response to my email.I want you toconsider
it sold, pls do withdraw the advert from craigslist toavoid
disturbance.I want you to know that i will be paying via bankcertified
check .I will like you to provide me with the following.information to
facilitate the mailing of the check to you .
1.....Full name to write on the check
2.....Full Physical address to post the check
3.....City, State and Zip Code
4.....Home & Cell Phone to contact you
*** Note that the payment will be shiped to your address via UPS NEXT
DAYSERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
responsiblefor shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you
have cashedthe check** Thanks

Again guys thanks for the heads up. Justin

Just look at the spelling, if I were to scam, at least people would know what I wanted them to do.

I got scammed selling a car on ebay once...a 74 Bradley GT(not running, not rolling)...well, this jackass hits 'Buy it Now' for $700, and then sends me a cashiers check for $3500, saying his 'client' needs the car urgently in the UK and that I'm to forward the remainder to his 'shipper'. After a half-dozen calls to banks, I finally find out the check is real, but was cashed a year and a half prior. The whole time I'm figuring this out, the guy is threatening to call the FBI, accusing me of fraud...if only I'd gotten a real return address...and a big box full of live scorpions. As it was, I was only out the ebay listing fees, but really, some people fall for these things...This guy even called meon the phone to complain, but as soon as I mentioned getting to talk to the bank that issued the check, he hung up and promptly disappeared...

Just look at the spelling, if I were to scam at least people would know what I wanted them to do.

You're joking....right?

I mean....have you bothered to look at people's spelling on HERE? And these are people we'd like to think we know and trust. But they still can't spell or construct a properly punctuated, capitalized, or formatted sentence.

Some simular happened to my dad, he was selling a mid 80's Dodge Caravan in a local magazine called the Super Shopper. He only wanted around $600 for it. So one day this guy calls and is SUPER interested in the car says that he lives in Europe somewhere but is moving to the States in a month and needs a vehicle when he gets there. The guy says he'll pay extra to get it shipped to the States (we live in Ontario Canada). My dad is obviously suspicious of the whole thing from the start but keeps taking his calls over the next few days just to see what is really goin on. Sure enough the "buyer" says asks for my dad's bank account info address etc.. so that the guy can wire him the money etc.. for the car plus shipping. At this point my dad just told him the car was cold locally and doesn't have it anymore.

So I ask you who in their right mind would want a 1980's CARAVAN soooo bad that they're willing to buy it overseas and have it shipped to a 3rd country for when they move there. Obviously a scam to get the vital info then drain every account and credit card you have!

I'm also not comfortable giving out my phone number on there anymore, it's just flake city on craigslist lately, I think about half of the "interested buyers" are just phishing for numbers to go on a telemarketer/spam list. I know the bogus phone calls wanting me to "not let my car warranty run out" started happening a lot more frequently since I last tried to sell a car on craigslist. I bet I had 50 people email for my phone number to talk about it and maybe one or two that were actually interested.

From now on, if I sell anything on there, I'm either be working just thru email or ask for their phone number.

You're joking....right?

I mean....have you bothered to look at people's spelling on HERE? And these are people we'd like to think we know and trust. But they still can't spell or construct a properly punctuated, capitalized, or formatted sentence.

I have always had a hard time with spelling and grammar. I think I missed a comma in my first statement, but at least I try and I use the spell check at all times.

I was actually thinking about someone's response in another thread. I didn't notice a missing comma.:-D

Your first? I am up to like the 50th. LOL

I would just once like to get my hands around the throat of one little scammer bastard.

The one scam where a supposed buyer sends you more money than your item is selling for is known as an overage scam. The typical scenario is the buyer instructs you, the seller, to send the excess amount to a third party to whom the buyer owes money and keep the remainder amount for the purchase of the item being sold. It takes a bank about ten days to figure out that the "certified" check they took from you, the seller, is counterfeit and at which point they debit your bank account for the previous credit for the deposit of the check. Of course, if you listened to the instructions from the buyer and withdrew and sent the "overage" amount, usually sent Western Union, which can be picked up anywhere if you have the pickup information, you owe your bank this entire amount plus anything else of the original deposit you've spent.
More people selling items over eBay and the Internet in general have been taken by this scam. Buyer, beware....

-
Back