I hate deer hunting.

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I have been hunting three bucks all year and tonight one of them stepped out of the woods and into my food plot. He busted me when I drew my bow but then I stopped him at about 30 yards. I let the arrow fly and the thing jumped my string. Zero blood on the arrow and only hair on the ground where he was standing. I give it an hour and walk into the woods where I last saw him. I found tiny drops of blood and end up loosing the trail.

Most guys on this forum will say “big deal” but to a bow hunter this is heart breaking.

184CE301-A2FF-4DE7-B90B-E5CF8A0B082B.jpeg

C09AA6D6-D5D1-4788-98D6-A58F33C0FD0F.jpeg

To any hunter losing that buck would be a heart breaker. That I understand. I have found that as I get older I don't hate deer, elk, antelope,pheasants and other wildlife as much as I used to. I still aggravate the feral hogs in Texas though.
Yote

Get a GPS arrow tracker. A little spendy but you wont loose the **** when he bolts.

Gave up hunting 8 years ago after hunting for 40+ years. I just have no reason or desire to see another animal die. And after being a land owner and dealing with asshats I have become rather anti hunting. But hey, everybody has to answer to their own set of standards and morality.

To any hunter losing that buck would be a heart breaker. That I understand. I have found that as I get older I don't hate deer, elk, antelope,pheasants and other wildlife as much as I used to. I still aggravate the feral hogs in Texas though.
Yote

I don’t hate the deer at all. I love whitetails but it’s a tough hobby.

if your really out to get him, you should place some anti personnel mine by your food plot

There were deer everywhere a week ago, banging all around. None to be seen now.
My buddy’s son is still determined to get one with his bow. Goes to his tree stand and waits. Any young ones or does he practices drawing, waiting for the buck to show up. Has a couple nice ones hanging around.
Saw them last year cleaning out the pumpkin patch. Right across from his house.

There were deer everywhere a week ago, banging all around. None to be seen now.
My buddy’s son is still determined to get one with his bow. Goes to his tree stand and waits. Any young ones or does he practices drawing, waiting for the buck to show up. Has a couple nice ones hanging around.
Saw them last year cleaning out the pumpkin patch. Right across from his house.

I took every Friday off for the month of November and I have set from sun up to sundown on Fridays and Saturdays all month besides this Saturday due to weather. I’ve spent more time in the tree stand then I have at home this month. This is my second encounter with him and hopefully not my last.

Well no matter how experienced a bowhunter you are killing a big buck with a bow is still a challenge. I've missed way more than I've killed. Don't even bow hunt anymore. Can't stand the heart palpitations. Every time you miss you learn something, right?
Killed a big boy with my muzzleloader a few years ago. He was so close my scope was useless. Just line sighted him down the barrel and unfortunately gut shot him. Let him lay for an hour and then walked him up and he still ran a mile. Then on to someone else's property. Found buzzards the next day, but couldn't get permission to go look. That one hurt bad.

IMG_20171118_111833.jpg

Went bow hunting yesterday. At least 100 Muleys in that pic.... Thank god none of them let me get close enough ! Stalked several heards but they are just too smart.
Instead of butchering a deer today I went dirtbiking.... Lol

Well no matter how experienced a bowhunter you are killing a big buck with a bow is still a challenge. I've missed way more than I've killed. Don't even bow hunt anymore. Can't stand the heart palpitations. Every time you miss you learn something, right?
Killed a big boy with my muzzleloader a few years ago. He was so close my scope was useless. Just line sighted him down the barrel and unfortunately gut shot him. Let him lay for an hour and then walked him up and he still ran a mile. Then on to someone else's property. Found buzzards the next day, but couldn't get permission to go look. That one hurt bad.

That’s awful.

I have been bow hunting for 10 years and this is my first miss. I am letting it get to me way too much.

Worked a 6x7 bull elk last year for 5 + hrs last year. He was HOT in rut! Parraleled him from the adjacent ridge bugelling and cow calling. Dropped over a mile down to the river pursuing him.
Just when I thought we had lost him he came runnining in screaming to about 10 yds from me. I took 3 shots and missed each time ! I wasnt lining my pins up with my peep! I never get buck fever... But he came in so fast it startled me... My buddy cow called 1 more time and he came running back in bugling. This time I was ready...
Had some of him tonight in stuffed pepers....

Don't know where you're hunting at. Down here in Moscow they're thick! Got monsters all over the place. I guess the river draws them.
I've got at least a 13 pointer that comes up in the yard. There's a couple of doe's that bed down under the pine in the back yard. To close to the house to hunt, but they're going to cause a problem when they get out on the road.

Well, ultimately it is about population control. I've never sweated killing one and not finding it. Hasn't happened very much, but it has happened. It's all about herd management.

1. Your food plot looks good you'll get some meat.
2. Those close encounter near misses will keep you going back!

South Fork of Boise River. Not many bucks though... At least no monsters.
I took a 200 Pope and Young from a ridge in that picture about 20 yrs ago.

That's why you don't bring a bow to do a guns job ! If you want it bad enough you use the best thing at your discretion! Good looking buck too. I had one with his woman and two kids in my front yard the guy next door called and said keep the does away from the window he was lining up the shot ! He got the buck clean shot right from the garage! We had deer that night it was good I believe he was a 8 point . The guy next door was just up hunting and got nothing he was desperate I think ! He cleaned the blood off my driveway!

-
Back