I Hate Metric

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
Metric....I hate it, I didn't grow up with it and it sucks as far as my feelings go. Twice as many tools, money and swearing when grabbing the wrong one. However...If I can remember away back correctly the States was going to go metric along with Canada, then the US pulled the plug. :scratch: I guess we were to far in already. My kids grow up with it in school, but still don't use it. The only thing I know is 80 kph is slow and a 240 kph speedo is cool. :headbang:

That's my input!

Im jumping with both feet first and i totally agree with you Jim.. :wack:

Mind you i need a set of metric everything to work on my honda's. :coffee2:

but i think everything should be SAE.. ALL THE WAY BABY! :headbang:

Hey Cerwin, you think you got it bad. I work on and install new compressors and turbines that are coming out of Germany (Siemens) and everything is metric. But I also work on old units in North America that are mostly imperial. Then it gets really interesting here in Canada where a turbine or compressor will have both metric and imperial pressure guages and temperature sensors so you got to go back and forth constantly. I carry a metric converter calculator with me wherever I go. Personally I wish that everyone would just go metric and get it over with but our friends south of the border ain't never going to change, which is their right, so here we sit. Most of the rest of the world is Metric and some countries have been for 100 years. ](*,)

Terry

Even though I am a died in wool US Citizen, I much prefer metric. The layout makes much more sense and conversions and calculations can be done right in your head. I hate fractions and always have. Must be the engineer in me.

That being said, I am so used to MPH that anything in KPH entails some quick math. If someone said to me that their car pulled 220 k/ph in the 1/4 mile, I'd be lost as to how fast their car was or was not (at least in the immediate sense!).

I used to work on English bikes back in the day and I had to have a set of "Whitworth" tools along with my metrics and standards. Jeez, talk about a pain in the butt!

I hear ya! I'm in the shop right now pulling the tranny out of my daughter's Chebby, half the freakin bolts are metric and the others imperial. Just pick one for Christ's sake! I spend more energy crawling back and forth to grab the other set :wack: I brought the laptop out to the shop today, this is the first time I've been on a computer on my own time :lol:

As you basiclly said Rob...Knowing the sizes (eye balling for size) is not problem, it's the guy before that has grabbed any metric bolt to throw in its place prior. :wack:

Try working on a Jeep from the last 20 years... they're a mix of Metric and Imperial (hex and Torx!) as well. What fun that must have been for the guys/gals on the assembly line! :p

Hey Rob, jim and i are gunna coem over and supervise.. you seem to have things all out of wack.. LOL..

Ps what color did you paint that thing again.. its a nice color

Rob said:
I hear ya! I'm in the shop right now pulling the tranny out of my daughter's Chebby, half the freakin bolts are metric and the others imperial. Just pick one for Christ's sake! I spend more energy crawling back and forth to grab the other set :wack: I brought the laptop out to the shop today, this is the first time I've been on a computer on my own time :lol:

You need just two tools for that mess:

gatorgrip-wrench.jpg
visegrip150.jpg

Oh wait, maybe one of these too:

6963029.jpg

Can't work on a Chevy without a dead-blow hammer! :D

gatorgrip-wrench.jpg

I painted it "Winning Blue", it's a Mazda colour. Come on over, it's almost Miller time, must be noon somewhere :toothy6: I think things are under control, I've got the tv on Spike, just watched "Muscle Car", the puter is on A-body and I'm thinking about that 1st beer, mmmmmmm, beer. :blob: I've already taken out one bolt and I'm getting ready to go under for another one, man's gotta pace himself :thumbup:

ahh ahaha.. ya.. careful now.. i dont knwo about you but i like to spread out the time between when i go under to inspect the nuts and bolts.. lol

ya you should PM your address and maybe we will pop by depending on what jim feels like, hes headin my way for some chit chattin.. and coffee and of course to work on the Vart

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h167/cerwinn/66 dart/rebuild/?start=all

That's an interesting looking socket DemonDave, where do you get that? Heading down for bolt 3, "Trucks" just ended, 350 swap into a Jeep. Jeff, if you guys feel like making the journey, I'll be here, sent you a PM. :drinkers:

Rob said:
That's an interesting looking socket DemonDave, where do you get that? Heading down for bolt 3, "Trucks" just ended, 350 swap into a Jeep. Jeff, if you guys feel like making the journey, I'll be here, sent you a PM. :drinkers:

I'm sure the Gatorgrip can be found at fine tool merchants like Canadian Tire, WalMart or House of Tools. I think I saw them once at Princess Auto as well! I doubt they'd take a lot of torque but if you can only afford one socket... well, one million Mexicans can't be wrong! :D

It would probably be handy, not much torque but not everything needs it. I just noticed you're in Victoria too. I'll have to get together one day with all the locals.

demon seed said:
British Wentworth, I remember them, what a pain in the *** they were.

Man, you just made the hair stand up on the back of my neck! Back in the early 80's I worked in an independant repair shop that handled Rolls Royce (HUGE steaming piles of _____ ), Jaguars, BMW's, Porsches, etc. and remember searching for those Withworth wrenches. 2BA....4BA....and a British 9/16 was about 3/4" big!

As for Metric vs. SAE, I find Metric easier too. I spent my entire career working on Foriegn cars and this is what I'm used to. And technically speaking, it is more sensible. As a matter of fact, I only recently started filling out my SAE tools when I bought the Barracuda.

I just wish it was one or the other, using both on one car is insane :wack: And don't get me started on torx bits :cussing:

Rob said:
It would probably be handy, not much torque but not everything needs it. I just noticed you're in Victoria too. I'll have to get together one day with all the locals.

I'd certainly like to meet you guys, be nice to put faces to the sweet cars I see running around town. Just yesterday, I was passed by a bright yellow fastback 67-69 Barracuda on the highway out to Langford!

Of course, I know that since I'm currently between Mopars, I'm bringing the donuts. ;)

Rob said:
I just wish it was one or the other, using both on one car is insane :wack: And don't get me started on torx bits :cussing:

safety torq. Alan keys and lets not forget the good ol' screw side of things..

philips, slot head, spanner,hex, torx and robertson..

[robertson] which i might mention was invented in canada, not like the american slot head. :headbang:

hehe

and that cuda lives in langford.. ive seen it parked around here.. by my dentist. ill not say were for their sake.

Metric rules!
You gus and gals don't know how to do engine in bluprint when you have a metric system which you have in a school when you are in a 7 year old...

Do not judge metric system, we have measured everything in inches, that sucks, we are born in metric...

Do not be upset about it...

I think the problem for you old-timers is the comparisons you make. "lets see...a 15mm is about a half inch...or 9 sixteens?....). 15 mm is 15mm. Simple. Don't worry guys, the kids get it, even if we don't!

Plus,everything is in multiples of ten.

69 Swinger1 (Small).JPG

MtNemoMopar said:
I think the problem for you old-timers is the comparisons you make. "lets see...a 15mm is about a half inch...or 9 sixteens?....). 15 mm is 15mm. Simple. Don't worry guys, the kids get it, even if we don't!

You got it !

Oh , you are a canadian... i know that Canadian people can be smart if they want to...

MtNemoMopar said:

Old dogs are just hard to re-train, (bitching is much EZer)

With the exception of vintage British cars and their unique fasteners, metric is really easy. Our entire currency system is metric and no one complains about THAT! 10 cents is soooo much easier than 1/10 of a dollar isn't it? And no matter WHAT standard you use, there's always a new twist: 6 point, 12 point, allen, torx, tamper-proof torx, and who knows what else is next....

Hey, if I sold tools, I'd lobby for a new style too to create new sales!

-
Back