I Hate Metric

-
I dont HATE metric...I just hate when they use both or convert...please pick one and go with it
Some of the drawing we get at work ocasionally have both on them or they were made in standard and converted to metric for approval, and they were too lazy to convert back, so I have to spend 30 mins with a calculator...just easier to work with 1" VS 25.4mm

intresting topic..
i hate metric because in my mopar there is only sae bolts and nuts, but when i wrench on my chevycaprice rustbucket/wintertransportation its a big mix of metric and sae that is a big %&#¤"§ some sae sizes are the same as metric ones 3/4" is the same as 19mm wish is a good thing after spliting a 3/4" socket while swaping headgaskets on a 318 late at night and there is a 19mm socket still in the socketbox ;)
but i do like the torx fasteners they seem to be easy to work with:D

DemonDave said:
Try working on a Jeep from the last 20 years... they're a mix of Metric and Imperial (hex and Torx!) as well. What fun that must have been for the guys/gals on the assembly line! :p

Whats Imperial, tools? Like 1/2"??

I remember buying Imperial Gas,
it was 5 USA quarts., what a bargain in 1974. :)

Now gas up in Canada is in liters, and is more money than in the USA. :(

How about bolts that are close, like
you can use a 14mm wrench on some 9/16th hex head,
some 17mm, for 11/16th, etc....... 11mm, for 7/16,
but 10mm needs its own.

Another thing annoying is the different threads,
Metric fine thread/coarse thread,
uss fine, vs coarse, and sometimes the fasteners are very close in size.

Ugh.

LOL then there is a 2 liter engine vs, my 2 liter Pepsi, :coffee2:
whats up with that? :scratch:

And my old snowmobile engine were rated in CC, like 700cc,
while it was 100+hp, it sure looked small.

Haha, almost anything is likely to confuse me.
So simple even a Caveman can do it. ;)

Ill stick with a 1/4 turn past tight. i wonder what you guys will do in metric? :shaking2:

The benefit of owning a set of Metric wrenches is sometimes they're the perfect fit for a standard bolt with a very rusty or rounded off head! :D

A farmer goes into a store to buy chicken wire.....

Farmer:
I'd like 10 yards of chicken wire.

Clerk:
Haven't you heard? We've gone metric. We sell things by the meter now, not the yard.

Farmer:
OK, I'd like 10 meters of chicken wire.

Clerk:
Right. Is that with the half-inch or quarter-inch holes?

Cerwin said:
Ill stick with a 1/4 turn past tight. i wonder what you guys will do in metric? :shaking2:

90 degrees.

but seriously, metric is a better idea for math. im sure everyone can agree with that.

but my jeep is put together with standard,metric,torx. so many torx it would make your head spin.

100_1173 (Small).JPG

littleman66 said:
90 degrees.

but seriously, metric is a better idea for math. im sure everyone can agree with that.

but my jeep is put together with standard,metric,torx. so many torx it would make your head spin.

I hear that!

DSCF0001.sized.jpg

:D

I've been using it for several years now so I'm used to it. But I still don't favor it over imperial.

69signetv8 said:
A farmer goes into a store to buy chicken wire.....

Farmer:
I'd like 10 yards of chicken wire.

Clerk:
Haven't you heard? We've gone metric. We sell things by the meter now, not the yard.

Farmer:
OK, I'd like 10 meters of chicken wire.

Clerk:
Right. Is that with the half-inch or quarter-inch holes?
I am with you Jimmy boy :headbang:
And this story is a good example of this metric ****.

When you guys say imperial do you mean SAE? Because I have never heard of the US SAE being called imperial. In the US we never had any royalty so why the imperial?

Chuck

It could be that Europeans invented the system originally but gave it up when Metric came into vogue. Since the US is still using this system (although in a slightly modified form), it's sort of natural to refer to it as Imperial. Plus, with Canada being an ex-Commonwealth country, we still have many Britain-isms in our language that are hard to give up.

Besides, doesn't SAE stand for Society of Automotive Engineers? I'm not sure how this would relate to a measuring system devised 100 years before the automobile made its debut, but I realize that's what it's referred to as. Can anyone expand on this?

hell im a young kid and i 'grew up' with American, my first car was the dart and when i worked at a local boat shop most of the stuff was SAE so i got use to it all, i agree im not a fan of metric either, and whats up with using both, my blazer has american, metric. then there is torx bits, SECURITY torx bits, alen head bolts.

I guess i would agree though, if you are gonna use one kind(metric or sae) STICK WITH IT don't change it up....grr :wack:

just remembered that there is actualy some torx used in my 904 transmission :S

i don't know which is better or worse we deal with both metric and imperial stuff at work. north american helicopters are all standard & the french ones are metric. so if you go out on tour with a couple of machines you get to take both sets with you, think tool box and overweight charges on the airplanes. now one of ower newes helicopters is a french built airframe/trans, with an american engine. now we'll need to sets of tools for just one aircraft.

if i had my choise metric all the way non of this half and half stuff. why can't the american industrial machine just get there act togethere and go metric like the rest of us.

no offence ment to my fellow american mopar brothers.

-
Back