I hate rust repair ------ Yeaaaaaaaa!

-

crackedback

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Fun to work in the garage when it's only 110+ outside, DOH!!!

The Swinger I'm working on had a leaky rear window seal and was parked in a way that didn't allow for it too drain. So it puddled and rotted the area right behind the shock crossmember. Rot extended all the way over to furthest left shiny spot on the shock crossmember.

I cut out more than I needed to, but, I'd rather have my weld joints in easier to access locations. There is some rot on the trunk pan flange that needs replacing.

trunkrustrepair001.jpg

trunkrustrepair002.jpg

Almost got the repair panel removed...

Crap, that is almost a rust free car on the east coast.
Should be a quick easy repair.

Yeah but where you live you can find nice donar metal cheap. Out on the east coat not.

Yup, No fun. Im loving this rust free west coast metal I have !

I know what you mean i have been in a hot garage replacin metal for over a year now on our charger.

Hey Rob,rust free is nice,isn't it? I passed on 3 darts l,until I found my scamp.

Looks like a pretty nice repair you've got going there. Are you fabricating your own patch panel?

Don't forget to get your red ball cap from under the car!

My 64 Signet came out of NuYawk with 62K on the odometer and it was a rust free car, bought it in the early 80's. Most NuYawkers have garages and not storage facilities where their car should be like they do on the Left coast. And to top it off, I'd rather repair a couple rust spots than replace every rubber bushing, all the cat whiskers and the glass from any car in the California desert..

Got the donor part off the long since dead 4 door...

trunkrustrepair003.jpg

Laid in place and still needs to be trimmed up

trunkrustrepair004.jpg

I'm going to clean/strip it up before going any further with it.

I know how you feel! I am replacing everything on the rear of a Camaro except the right 1/4. Heck of alot of work. The frame rails are bare now with weld-thru primer applied. Complete trunk floor with shock mount fitted and prep'd. All the exterior sheetmetal prep'd ready to be welded up. Second pic is after teardown before cleanup. Then the new sheetmetal dry fit. Then on to the front floorpans and dash top. All the rear sheetmetal had to be replaced from a butcher job in the late 70's.

It also HOT here!

Attachments

• 0707121840.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 959
  • 0614121316.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 971
A little more clean up thanks to the guys at the machine shop for letting me toss it in the hot tank and blast it.

trunkrustrepair006.jpg

trunkrustrepair005.jpg

Got some small dents to pound out and some straightening to do. Love it when it's 100+ out and raining... :wack:

Hey CUUDAK Get that damned chevy junk off from here. I almost had to vomit. lol.

Hey, are you gonna show the window repair also? (Lookin for tips, my Val is a bit weepy there).

I hear ya on the weather here. Reminds me of the week I spent in Cleveland one day.

This fricken disaster has been resurrected in my life. LOL

Been sitting for 1.5 years.

No Rev, I'm not fixing the window. My solution is don't park it outside where it gets wet. If I wash it, sop up the water!

The original panel just melted when I tried to fill in some pin hole it had. I got a replacement panel that we thought was rust free... NOT!!! It had rust on both side of the seam. Anyways, back at it with the newer less rusty panel.

Have to clean the existing edge on the car and get to tacking it in.

Anything that has holes after this is getting fricken kitty hair. :)

That's the hope. Go bust off some stuff fast enough to get thrown out! :)

I have a $5 bet with my neighbors daughter that it will be running by years end. Need to get after it. LOL

I wish I knew how to work metal like you do my friend.

Looks good

-
Back