I hate selling stuff.

-
The sad thing is there are(flakes) everywhere, Craigslist, ebay and yes even here.

How about when you are selling services and you start high knowing the cheap *** is going to cry like a baby until you come down to your "real" price anyways so he thinks he just became the "bargainologist" of the year, then he asks if he can supply his own parts.

At this time I usually say the deal ender because I am already fed up with their crap and don't feel like doing anything for them at this point so I say "Do you buy a steak at Krogers, then take it to longhorn and ask the chef to grill it for you at a discount?"

Usually I walk away smiling as they are swearing or staring into oblivion>>>>>>>>>>>>LOL.

I'm dealing with a Craig's list flake myself but I'm trying to buy something. Yoiu'd think if you called someone and told them you were interested in giving them money they'd be trying to make sure it happened,but this is notalways the case.

Due to my new job, my wife and I need a second car. We have no money, so we're looking at really cheap beaters. Found one we liked a few towns over, made contact with the owner. I swear since last Sunday I've called/emailed/texted this guy like 30 times trying to set up a time to come look at his car so I can potentially BUY it but he's such a flake,I have not been to see it yet.

Amazing thing is that he re-listed it 3 times since I've been calling him. Idiot!

How about when you are selling services and you start high knowing the cheap *** is going to cry like a baby until you come down to your "real" price anyways so he thinks he just became the "bargainologist" of the year, then he asks if he can supply his own parts.

At this time I usually say the deal ender because I am already fed up with their crap and don't feel like doing anything for them at this point so I say "Do you buy a steak at Krogers, then take it to longhorn and ask the chef to grill it for you at a discount?"

Usually I walk away smiling as they are swearing or staring into oblivion>>>>>>>>>>>>LOL.

'spaz, I'm with you on this one! Having been a tech/service writer in Ithaca, NY, with it's high Asian population you get the hang of haggling. They want "the bestest" deal on everything (sorry, not being racist or anything, just realistic). I mean, come on, they spend hours on the phone calling around for oil change prices or spend hours running from shop to shop to shop seeing who's going to beat whose estimate. So, jack the price up a bit, haggle a little bit, throw a coupon on the estimate discounting to the original price...sounds dishonest, but really it's only way to do business in that town.

Had the "can I bring my own parts" thrown at me so many times..sure, but I won't warranty 'em, so if something goes wrong you have to pay me twice the labor, in full, plus the parts I'll warranty if something does go wrong. Or, sure, if you want to buy your own parts, you can buy your own tools and do it yourself, too. Sounds brutal, but I've been in that situation, too.

Or, here's the one I always liked the most: when Pop and I had our resto shop, we'd have the shopper come in a explain in detail exactly what he wanted his car to be. So I'd write the estimate, for say a complete cosmetic resto. Pull the interior, pull the engine for detail, pull the glass, all the trim, take it bare for new paint, pull the body apart to make sure edges and jambs, engine compartment, trunk are all done correctly, replace weatherstripping and badges as needed, clean everything before it went back together. I'm quoting a good 100+ hours, here. A week later same person comes back with another estimate from Joe Blow's body shop for a Maaco style paint job for a 10th of what I quoted demanding to know why I quoted so high. After explaining the differences between apples and oranges I would then tell said customer, "perhaps instead of coming here demanding to know why I'm so high, you should be going to Joe Blow and demanding to know why he's going to do the 'same' job for so cheap."

I just had a kid offer me half of what Im asking for a real nice 2 ton floor jack. I offered him my old beat up piece of crap instead. He emails me back with a link to a Harbor freight POS 1 ton aluminum jack and said, Look what people are selling for $50. I told him, Thats pretty nice, You should buy it.

My biggest rant here is the people who advertise that they are looking for something specific and you hit them back with the exact part they need,price including shipping and they never get back with you but keep bumping up their wanted ad. I had a complete A-body 4 speed setup and didnt advertise it but answered many "I need a complete A-body 4 speed setup" some with "asap" and never sold it to any of those people. Instead I parted it out and got more than my package deal, now thats good for me but if you dont intend to pursue the parts let alone buy them then dont waste our time by advertising you need them. I could name the aforementioned driveshaft buyer but so far he is just one of them and never did me wrong personally and might be a great guy so why persecute him over $50 worth of parts. By they way on that I went so far (by his request) as to get it all ready to ship, then never heard back from him after him declaring he "wasnt one of those deadbeats here". I cant believe its so hard to make deals through sites like here,its almost easier to cart the crap around everywhere to swap meets when we thought this way was going to be easier. Bottom line here is I love my Mopars always have always will and if your not going to follow through on YOUR ads then someone else will get your parts!!!

Yep, will always get someone who is looking to get it cheaper...I'm the same way, always looking for a deal..It never hurts to ask if they will take less...Most people price high knowing people will try to offer less. I do, but will not go below my price I really want...

I do have a John Deere self propelled mower on cl right now for $175.. They sell for around $250 in the same shape as mine..Had a guy ask me what I would sell it to him for..I just replied that he would need to come check it out and then make an offer.....Should of told him $174.99

Looks like the tools are all going to a member. Hes on his way know to check them out and leave a deposit. All it took was him calling and asking about them instead of the idiots that email me some ridiculous offer.

I also hate selling stuff
Years ago I lived in Brooklyn NY. I guy came buy to look at my 1966 Impala SS. A few nights later he tried to rob the car from my house

I get a kick out of it. I ask top dollar so i can cut the price in half and the people who call arent calling cause i,m cheapest ,(bargain shoppers). Once you play the game enough you get the hang of it. If someones annoying I tell them i have a buyer and they will either take a crap or get off the pot. I enjoy buying from craigslist cause i can get pics before i drive for something i dont want. Maybe i,m just a sick individual

The wife and I drove 3.5 hours to buy the fibreglass front clip for the Dart. The seller drove a couple hours to meet us. So when we got there I inspected the clip and paid the man the agreed price.No way am I gonna jerk around a guy who has done me the favour of meeting me far from his home.

What really pisses me off are the buyers who turn down a smoking deal inspite of every effort you make to seal the deal. Throwing in free stuff,splitting shipping,multiple shipping quotes etc all for nothing.

Some people just want something for nothing.

I have had good luck (for the most part) in my dealings here.But there is the odd customer who wont deal with a Canadian and has a very "buy U.S" attitude..Oh well....there's always someone else in line for parts!!

My problem is if I agee to a set deal at a set time with a seller on CL and have them sell it out from under me it really po's me. I even let them set the time.

I thought it would happen last week. A guy advertised a dump truck on CL and I hit the ad immediately. I was first on it but it was one of those rare times that my schedule and his schedule wouldn't work. He did agree to hold it for me. I knew it would be an easy sale for him. He followed thru on the deal. While I was there I ended up buying his Case Maxi Sneaker, his Ditch Witch trencher, his 1943 Allis Chalmers C tractor and two junk vehicles.

He told me that he had a lot of buyers wanted the dump truck.
He was glad he had kept his word because everything had to be gone by the 22nd because he is closing the sale of the property it was on and I ended up buying every bit of it. He had very few calls on the other items and no serious buyers.

Good catch on the ditch witch..very hard to find a good used one here...and you are a bit far away for me to borrow it :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Ian.

A couple months ago I posted several items on CL and had numerous duplicate e-mails from scammers. Totally stupid stuff that didn't even relate to the ad. Then there was the one guy that did reply about a item I had for sale for half price of new and that was brand new in the box and he tells me how they were all defective and only Cost $50 new. But if I'd send it to him for free he'd buy a supposed improvement kit and be able to use it. What an axx. CL used to work good for me but lately it hasn't.

One other thing I hate that doesn't have to do with CL is when somebody on here posts a want ad and I pm them telling what I have and my asking price that's negotiable and they never answer back. I've had it happen several times and I don't think it has anything to do with my price because I generally under price stuff just to sell it quick. This has happened about 4 times in the last year. I guess it's to hard to be courteous anymore.

ah Craigslist..... I love it... its my happy local swap meet online.
you do have to know what your doing, how to sell, and how to buy. Be savvy enough to know the scammers.
I buy and sell and make good $$ from Craigslist.
The biggest item of concern on Craigs is if someone is coming to your house to buy a item... have it waiting outside. Dont open your shop/garage doors and show off all your stuff. I know that 98% of the time its all safe, but in todays world .. why risk that ?
You will always be low balled on prices. So make the price higher, but reasonable. Figure your set price (remember your selling used stuff) and then make room to counter act crappy offers. The key is to make the buyer feel like they got a warm fuzzy deal. Easy. Yes you will get flakes that dont show... or idiots who e-mail with all kinds of questions but no $$. To avoid the idiots e-mails.... make it a phone # only ad and dont leave a e-mail addy. I have had the best luck that way. Only the serious buyers will talk with ya. (for the most part anyways). I have some Ford chrome aftermarket 4x4 wheels for sale....8 " wide ..etc... all the info is listed, bolt patterns, sizes, etc... Some idiot wants me to measure the lug nut spacing again...??? except he has some dumbass way of wanting me to do it. so I do it and give him the measurement. He then asks for another... then another measurement... so I finally say. What are you putting them on ??? He replies.... A 98 Dodge Neon........... WTH ?? Uhm look idiot... these wheels wont come close to fitting !

Over all though... I have made bank off craigs.... there are other "secrets" to making deals on there though...... its swap meet lingo... it works.

As far as selling on here.... never had a problem. People think that just becasue you list a add you will sell stuff. Nope. Talk to any salesperson they will talk to 10 people before 1 buyer. Simple sales stuff.

-RPM

I have a bunch of stuff to sell off my cars to fund my build but I am waiting for the market to come back around so I can get a little more for the stuff. Right now no one is bying any thing unless you are giving it away. That and a lot of it is big stuff and I just don't want to deal with shipping.

:sign6: I got a nice 78 Nova 2 door in a three way trade a few years ago. My brother in law knew the car, and he was right: it was a quick little snot with a 400 small block, TH350 auto, 9" rear. Good stuff. I painted it, finished the interior, nice wheels etc etc. Not being a Bowtie Guy, I put it up for sale.

:poke: I feel your pain. I don't think they are real people. I've theorized they're holograms created by God to test our sanity. I never would have believed so many stupid questions could come out of a human being.

I want to sell it, but I won't give it away. Heck I'll just drive it and race it till then.

The lastest, Guys emails me and asks if I'll take $150 for the $500 engine hoist Im selling for $200. I say yes, Then he says, Im in long island will you meat me half way. Thats an hour drive and probably $50 in gas in my truck.

-
Back