i hate smog equipment

-

MikeyBoy

Reaction score
I have heard so many diffrent opinions of which smog equipment is useful, which isnt, what to take off, what to leave.

It seems that even if it wasnt harmful i would still like to remove it, if nothing more then to make my engine compartment less cluttered. I have AC that works, so i dont wanna take that out, so in order to have less things in teh way i figure the smog stuff can go.

But i am not really sure what exactly is smog and what is not, and what to do with all the hoses that are from smog, and everything.

Is there any kind of comprehensive guide around that has pictures, descriptions, just the full deal.

If nothing more i will include a picture or two of my engine compartment now, if you guys can circle all the crap that can go or offer any advice i need it.

Im a total newbie, and am really tryin to get into this.

engineandcarb001.jpg

engineandcarb002.jpg

engineandcarb009.jpg

Ps im sorry guys for all the questions i ask, i know its probably frustrating dealing with someone so clueless

im no exact help, but dont expect to lose much. A lot of that clutter is the a/c system. Charcoal canister i think is about all you will have.

Launching the air pump is worth a couple HP. If you get rid of the EGR you'll pick up a little, but your jetting will be off. Charcoal canister is a good thing, helps keep your gas from evaporating away.

Realistically, you won't notice much difference unless you bump compression and go to a larger carb,

Might help gas mileage if he takes those things off though, won't it? I've heard EGR helps mileage a bit if it's working correctly (which usually isn't the case). If I were you, I'd look for a Super Six intake and Carter BBD 2-barrel carb to put on there. That would make a big difference in performance.

A copy of the service manual for that year would have detailed diagrams of the different systems. I have one from 75' if you need a scan.

yah, i have a manual thats like a haynes for the various years. i guess im also worried that once i take stuff off, i wont know wat to do with the places the hoses used to attatch on other stuff

Personally I'd just replace any cracked or rotten lines and hoses and just leave it alone.Give it a good tune up and change the oil to Mobil-1 and that will probably do more for mileage than trashing the emissions stuff:read2:

Launching the air pump is worth a couple HP. If you get rid of the EGR you'll pick up a little, but your jetting will be off. Charcoal canister is a good thing, helps keep your gas from evaporating away.

Realistically, you won't notice much difference unless you bump compression and go to a larger carb,

Losing the egr wont gain you anything since it only functions at part throttle/cruising situations. WOT it is not functional.

Hi, I don't know if your state has strict inspections but one thing comes into mind, a lighter car is a faster a car. I have a 73 Scamp with a slant six and no air conditioning. Do you need air conditioning? Looks like a hundred pounds of air conditioning stuff under your hood. It also looks like an air pump in there, can you get rid of that too. Since my car is a 73, theres no air pump or catalytic converter. My state only requires catalytic converters on 1983 and newer vehicles and where I live theres no emissions testing. Check your state laws first. Just a thought. Tim

here is my slant after ditching the AC. the person before me took most the smog off, but i still want to simplify the rats nest of wiring. oh and im also planning on ditching the power steering and power brakes.

engine_after.jpg

oh this would be a good place to ask. the only thing left going to my charcoal canister is the fuel line vent i guess. can i just take that off and put a little hose vent or something. i want to get rid of that big old canister. thanks.

At $4 a gallon, why would you want to get rid of something that controls fuel evaporation?

cuz its big and ugly, and you wont loose much without it

Ugly? hmm..lol *cough* daytons on a duster *cough*

Couldn't help it. :D But yes you will lose a bit over time without that system. Especially since most of our cars aren't used on a daily basis. Nice vented 16gallon tank of fuel (or however much his is) at $4/gallon will add up. Quicker if it isn't garaged and kept out in the sun all the time.

because i drive my car two days a week to a local show and dont care what milaege it gets. and for commuting i have a toyota yaris that gets 40 mpg while beating the **** out of it. its like having a big go cart. oh and i dont see a duster on here with daytons. i do however see a dart sport with daytons on it.

guido1.jpg

because i drive my car two days a week to a local show and dont care what milaege it gets. and for commuting i have a toyota yaris that gets 40 mpg while beating the **** out of it. its like having a big go cart. oh and i dont see a duster on here with daytons. i do however see a dart sport with daytons on it.

Dang such a difference between the two, my mistake. I was confused by the dollar bills on the side. Sweet econo race car. I'd think your Slant would do pretty well mpg wise too, race that one too?

lol, that was a quick photoshop i had someone do for me, and i can garentee you that mine wont have that dollar bills on the side, or daytons, but it will be on 14" wire wheels :D (daytons cost too much,ill just get a set of cheap chinas lol)

the point is i asked a question and wasnt looking for a smart *** remark, and im sure he doesnt appreciate your comments. at least he isnt running mustang wheels on an e body and posting on an a body website. and no i dont race the slant.... not yet at least. but that is why im building the suspension. autocrossing your car is a great way to learn how to drive it. i guess a better question would be. what do the older darts and such have connected to the fuel tank instead of this charcoal cannister.

-
Back