I Hate Suspension Work!

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Since the engine is out of the Cherokee I fugured I'd go ahead and replace the upper and lower control arm bushings. What a *****! I had to make a temporary collar to keep from bending the control arms, one for the uppers and one for the lowers plus use combination of sockets, washers and bolts in conjunction with a ball joint press to get these things in and out, plus some judiciuos grinding so one collar will fit over the lips of the LCA bushings. I'm on the last control arm and found that ONE bolt was rusted into the metal sleeve in the bushing. I was able to press it out with a ball joint press but the bolt is not reusable due to corrosion. Looks like it's a trip to the boneyard to get another one, but my engine is still in the back of my RC and I don't really want to drive all the way across town with an engine in the back. I can't pull the engine out until I get the control arm back in 'cause the Jeep is in the way and I need to move it. Shoot.

I guess I'll put a temp bolt in after I press out the old bushings then get this Jeep moved so I can unload the engine. What a PITA!! I'm beat, I need a beer.

ah yes, the wonderful world of front-end work. I learned the meaning of BFH at an early age. look at it this way though, you probably won't ever have to them again?!

I have to do mine and I keep putting it off. I know that I can't put it off more than a couple months at most. I tore my rotator cuff and it will be a while before I can use it and now I use that as my excuse.
But I know after that I have to, ugh!:banghead:

Well Dayam man, I wish I was up there I would sure enough go bye ya one
And drive you to the bone yard tomorrow 8)
I spent a couple hours with Victoria today and wish I had the front set out :bootysha:.
laying on my side and removing parts and getting measurements and locating the throttle system.
But sounds like a peace of cake compared to what you had to do to day.
Some one get this man a cold one :cheers:

Ahh, I feel better, misery loves company :-D I'm stripping paint off the build I'm doing for my wife, what a pain. :cussing:

must be a 1999+ grand cherokee? My 4x4 ball joint press was able to press in all of the bushings on my friend's Chevy Nova control arms

LOL some must remember my wineing last winter,but you know i would do it again now i know what i am doing.

LOL some must remember my wineing last winter,but you know i would do it again now i know what i am doing.

I think you mean whining, wineing is what I do, love my reds :drunken:

"AHHH grease, grime, and smashed fingers. It's man land for sure. Man up or get out from under there. OUCH!!! I got some thing in my eye. I want my mommy!"

It always ends the same with me and suspension work. LOL

I here you Joe. It's a tough job but some ones got to do it.

ah yes, the wonderful world of front-end work. I learned the meaning of BFH at an early age. look at it this way though, you probably won't ever have to them again?!

That's exactly why I'm doing them now, while the engines out. :) I should never have to them again.....Unless I decide to put a big lift kit on it one day but those come with new control arms and use johnny joints instead of bushings. I don't really need to lift this thing anyway. It's supposed to be my DD.

I have to do mine and I keep putting it off. I know that I can't put it off more than a couple months at most. I tore my rotator cuff and it will be a while before I can use it and now I use that as my excuse.
But I know after that I have to, ugh!:banghead:

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the injury. I'd much rather do an A Body than a Jeep if that makes you feel any better. I hope you have a big hammer, lol.

Well Dayam man, I wish I was up there I would sure enough go bye ya one
And drive you to the bone yard tomorrow 8)
I spent a couple hours with Victoria today and wish I had the front set out :bootysha:.
laying on my side and removing parts and getting measurements and locating the throttle system.
But sounds like a peace of cake compared to what you had to do to day.
Some one get this man a cold one :cheers:

I'm covered head to toe in grease, gravel and metal filings. This wouldn't have been so bad with a lift, lol. Thanks Mike, I got 'er mostly done with the exception of a real bolt. I can't torque any of these bolts until I get the engine in anyway. It's supposed to be at ride hight before I torque the upper to 55 ft lbs and the lowers to 133 ft lbs. All I have to do is get the wheels back on and push this thing around and get the engine out of the truck.

Ahh, I feel better, misery loves company :-D I'm stripping paint off the build I'm doing for my wife, what a pain. :cussing:

Body work....Aaaarrrggghhhh!

must be a 1999+ grand cherokee? My 4x4 ball joint press was able to press in all of the bushings on my friend's Chevy Nova control arms

It's a '92. I really should check the track bar too. It's got 223K. Ball joints are all good though, I think they've been replaced. The bushings were trashed and one was siezed to the bolt so it should ride nicer now. I also wanted to get all this crap done before I get tires and an alignment in the future.

Yeah, the next one should go quick but I'm going to bill big time, lol.

I think you mean whining, wineing is what I do, love my reds :drunken:

MMMmmmm.....Red Wine!

"AHHH grease, grime, and smashed fingers. It's man land for sure. Man up or get out from under there. OUCH!!! I got some thing in my eye. I want my mommy!"

It always ends the same with me and suspension work. LOL

I here you Joe. It's a tough job but some ones got to do it.

LOL! I hear ya, I need to quit whineing. :) Well, it's pretty much done and I feel good about it. Now I can get back to what I love, and that's building engines. :cheers::cheers::cheers: I'm damn glad I figured how to press that siezed bolt out of the one bushing. I rented a BJ press from Vatozone and expected to get a beat up POS but it was brand spanking new. :) It's not anymore, lol.

A BIG THANK YOU goes out to Motopsycho for the bushings! You are the man and a parts guy that has his **** together! I wish all parts guys were like you. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

It's easy work for those that make it look easy. LOL When I had my front end rebuilt a couple months ago. I helped the guy out as much as I could. It took about 8 hours but it was worth it when it was all done. toolmanmike

There 'aint nothing like a real shop with a real lift and professional tools to get the job done right and quick toolman!

That being said, I got the engine out of the back of the RC by using a comealong to drag it out to the tailgate with one end hooked on the Jeep hitch and the other on the engine. Then I was able to hoist it off the tailgate with my engine lift and just drive the RC forward. Got to love that RC. That whole Jeep 4.0L HO engine with manifolds and everything didn't even budge the tailgate. That is some bad *** engineering. :)

I found a beer in the fridge, time to relax a bit after a 12 hour day.

What's wrong with suspension work......:toothy10:

Glad to see you're getting it fixed ramcharger. 8)

I may have a serviceable bolt from my Cherokee suspension tweaks a while back. I'll go have a look.

What's wrong with suspension work......:toothy10:

Glad to see you're getting it fixed ramcharger. 8)

LMAO! And thanks 6pk!

I may have a serviceable bolt from my Cherokee suspension tweaks a while back. I'll go have a look.

If you can find one I have a 117 amp alternator, exaust manifolds and a coil pack for ya and all for a '99+ Jeep. :-D Oh I forgot, I'll also toss in a fuel rail and a set of injectors. Pretty good deal for a freaking bolt, lol.

The one I have appears to be 12mm X 118mm. If that'll get you where you need to go, I can bring it over in about 15 minutes.

That may be an engine mount bolt, I'm showing maybe 13mm (a 12mm wrench won't fit over the shank and about 4 1/4" long. Sorry, no metric ruler here, lol.

I've got a 1/2" bolt in there temporarily and it's loose.

That may be an engine mount bolt, I'm showing maybe 13mm (a 12mm wrench won't fit over the shank and about 4 1/4" long. Sorry, no metric ruler here, lol.

I've got a 1/2" bolt in there temporarily and it's loose.
This might be the critter. I was gonna pass a die over the threads to clean it up a bit, and it's definitely not M12.

Edit to add: the head appears to be 21mm

Excellent :cheers:cold beer for ya =P~ And you got the engine out of that beefed up monster you built :cheers:

Glad you are getting it knocked out and have some company Joe.

Any cold beer left? Lol.:-D

Ramcharger, there are really nice tubular control arms with heim joints available, if you're so inclined :p

My old Jeep:

7-14018.jpg

-
Back