I hate to ask but

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with our mopars,but my 2sd oldest daughter Toni has a problem,here it goes her friend has a 2001 Chev Caviler ,the friend had the key in her ignition and car was running.they got fighting ya cat fight lol,my Toni went to grab the keys from the ing and pulled them out at the same time the car was about to shut off.Now all the key will do is go in but not turn the ing is lock.I tryed to grab the wheel and rock it back and forth wile trying to turn the key nothing.It gets worse now the friend wants a new ignition.My girl is doing the best she can on her own but has no money,I feel I need to help her,I know nothing about removing the Ing switch on this car.I call2 shops one said to get the switch and key and we will install it for 89 bucks,anouther shop says we have to reprogram the computor so the switch will work at about 200 bucks.Whosss right.Could someone help here,If i get the switch I would try to install it,but need pics or step by step on how to do it.Many thanks,sorry I know a bit long.

I would not claim to be an expert but I have a 2004 Alero and ran into an issue with the ignition switch. Apparently late model GM stuff has a security bypass that will not allow the car to start if the key is hit too hard or put in too hard. I guess it thinks you are trying to jam the lock. I talked to a friend from a GM dealership and he said the only fix is to replace the ignition switch if mine keeps acting up. He said it would be around $200. I would think that is why they said they would have to reprogram the computer, you must have to get the chip in the ignition to interface with the computer.

I know that doesn't exactly solve the problem, just some insight. Also if you do get the security error if you can get the cylinder to turn you have to turn the key to on and leave it there for something like 10-15 min and the light will flash and turn off, then turn the key off and it should start.

Well thanks for the help i got a feeling what the dealer and your friend says sounds alike.not what I want to here.The key fits in and there is the sound of beep beep but no way to turn it forward just stuck there.

Key probably has a chip in it....maybe just the key is damaged??? If it is a chipped key its big bucks...I think around $80-100 bucks. Good luck!!

4sp and au I think its a chip key ,ok lets see how we get that ing out than may be take it to an auto locksmith and repair the unit.Still need someone who knows how to remove it.Like does the steering heel have to come out and dis alarm the air bag.

I have had pretty good luck on YouTube getting instructions or repair videos for the newer cars that I don't know much about. Did you try that? Good Luck!!

I have had pretty good luck on YouTube getting instructions or repair videos for the newer cars that I don't know much about. Did you try that? Good Luck!!

just goggle 4 different ways to do it ,no vids as of yet, that would be the cats ***.

I just tried calling a traveling lock smith we have in town that does this kind of thing in your drive way "A1 Lock and Key" Jeff know's me and I asked him to give me a call when he can 8) he might be able to clear this up for us.
My wife's key went bad and it was 75 dollars to have a new chip put back in
I ask what the heck do I have on my insurance :angry7::angry7:
drive train and other stuff but not a key going bad :angry7:

Can you take the key out?? And if its a chip key, take the key to a dealership see what they say. I believe dealerships are the only ones that can make a chip key anyway.

I just tried calling a traveling lock smith we have in town that does this kind of thing in your drive way "A1 Lock and Key" Jeff know's me and I asked him to give me a call when he can 8) he might be able to clear this up for us.
My wife's key went bad and it was 75 dollars to have a new chip put back in
I ask what the heck do I have on my insurance :angry7::angry7:
drive train and other stuff but not a key going bad :angry7:

Thanks Memike thatssss a big help buddy.:cheers:

Can you take the key out?? And if its a chip key, take the key to a dealership see what they say. I believe dealerships are the only ones that can make a chip key anyway.

O ya the key comes out goes in no problem even when it bottoms out the warning sound comes on but ya cant move it forward,I think there is a spare but the outher gales parents have it and are dicksss.She is afariad to tell Momy and daddy.

Might sound stupid but did you try rocking the steering wheel while turning the key?Could be the column lock jammed not allowing key to advance.

Is there a decent libray near you? If so, they might have the Mitchel on Demand software that you can use.

If she owes money or behind on payments the car key can be shut off
They can shut the key off Snake,
Next step, See if you can put the car in neutral while holding the brake and turn the key.
Next step would be the owners manual, look for a reset switch in the trunk for the fuel system. Jeff asked if your auto door locks are working and said do the batter disconnect and take the battery out of the key all at the same time, then hook the battery back up to the car then the key Battery. Hope this douse it

If she owes money or behind on payments the car key can be shut off
They can shut the key off Snake,
Next step, See if you can put the car in neutral while holding the brake and turn the key.
Next step would be the owners manual, look for a reset switch in the trunk for the fuel system. Jeff asked if your auto door locks are working and said do the batter disconnect and take the battery out of the key all at the same time, then hook the battery back up to the car then the key Battery. Hope this douse it

What does he mean shut the key off?,Cant shift into N even wile pushing on the brake,ing has to be in run pos to shift,trying to find out if this car has a chip in the key,I have search and no luck how does one tell if this key has a chip.The key goes in but wont move back and forth.My little girl called last night crying over this,dam wish I had the funds to just send it in but living from pay check to pay check cant do it.Well thanks for the help.

Hey Snake,I have been reading this thread and trying to stay away because i stopped doing automotive work a long time ago. If the key was forcibly removed in the on position you may have damaged the tumblers in the switch.The switch is mechanical as well as being hooked up to the computer.It should turn if the mechanics are right regardless of the on board computer.If the switch is physically damaged,you're in for a hefty bill:angry7:.Memike has the right idea,I know a locksmith who does a lot of auto work and specilizes in transponder keys.I will run the scenario by him and see what he says. The actual key may be damaged,can't tell without seeing it.Put up a pic of the key if you can.Reprogramming the ignition won't help if it physically won't turn.I will see what i can find out.

Hey Snake,I have been reading this thread and trying to stay away because i stopped doing automotive work a long time ago. If the key was forcibly removed in the on position you may have damaged the tumblers in the switch.The switch is mechanical as well as being hooked up to the computer.It should turn if the mechanics are right regardless of the on board computer.If the switch is physically damaged,you're in for a hefty bill:angry7:.Memike has the right idea,I know a locksmith who does a lot of auto work and specilizes in transponder keys.I will run the scenario by him and see what he says. The actual key may be damaged,can't tell without seeing it.Put up a pic of the key if you can.Reprogramming the ignition won't help if it physically won't turn.I will see what i can find out.

Thanks how does one know if it has a chip or not.One price is like 450 if it has the chip,new switch,installed,and reprogrammed.Another price used switch 50 bucks and 90 to install it.Again how to tell if it has that dam chip,my 99 sunfire has no chip almost same car.As for pic the car is way on the outher side of town.Plan is to go over tomorrow again and try a few things again.Feeling helplessss.

Thanks how does one know if it has a chip or not.One price is like 450 if it has the chip,new switch,installed,and reprogrammed.Another price used switch 50 bucks and 90 to install it.Again how to tell if it has that dam chip,my 99 sunfire has no chip almost same car.As for pic the car is way on the outher side of town.Plan is to go over tomorrow again and try a few things again.Feeling helplessss.

I talked with another locksmith and we both agree that it is not a transponder/chip type ignition.Gm was not in the habit of putting transponder ignitions in their lower end models.When you forcibly remove a key when any lock cylinder is turned you will physically damage something,in this case I think the tumblers have been damaged. Try the key in the door,if it works good chance it's not the key that is the problem and you will need to replace the ignition.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6283320_replace-ignition-switch-chevrolet-cavalier.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_change_an_ignition_switch_on_a_2001_Chevy_Cavalier

You might get one at a wrecker or if you want I can see if a new one is available tomorrow.Your cost is my cost and the ride will be free if it helps.Just read that you are going over tomorrow.If you can get a scope or your eyesite is really good get a light and look into the ignition.The little brass tumblers are spring loaded and should move easily with a probe.There are 10 of the little bastards and they all need to move,if you find they are jammed up and not moving easily you have found your problem.It wouldn't hurt to spray a little bit of lube in there and run the key in and out to try and free them up,but i wouldn't count on that working,they have probably been bent from forcing the key out.I will pm you my number and you can call me tomorrow after 10a.m.and hopefully I will have an answer on a new one.

I talked with another locksmith and we both agree that it is not a transponder/chip type ignition.Gm was not in the habit of putting transponder ignitions in their lower end models.When you forcibly remove a key when any lock cylinder is turned you will physically damage something,in this case I think the tumblers have been damaged. Try the key in the door,if it works good chance it's not the key that is the problem and you will need to replace the ignition.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6283320_replace-ignition-switch-chevrolet-cavalier.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_change_an_ignition_switch_on_a_2001_Chevy_Cavalier

You might get one at a wrecker or if you want I can see if a new one is available tomorrow.Your cost is my cost and the ride will be free if it helps.

Now thats the newssss I wanted to here thanksss big time.

snake if you change the cylinder yourself there is a way to program it yourself if you want icould fax you the procuder i own arepair shop i n.y and have alldata

Dreno says no chip,so the plan will be to replace the ingintion switch done deal right ? or ? Thanks to u also I am starting to feel better.

-
Back