I HATES Windoz HEIGHT!!!!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
So I get this "8" Grateway from a friend to take a look at

I figure, "easy." I'll slave the HD to my (mostly unused) Wihozed 7 machine, update AVG antivirus and do a scan on the hard drive

Then I start finin' stuff out...........

THERE IS NO Windows 8 sticker (AKA Windows 7) with a product key

The product key IS BURIED IN THE BIOS

You cannot reinstall it "fresh" unless you get "the proper" media matching what's on there so this is "iffy."

AND if you have a HD that has blown a rod, YOU CANNOT EVEN RECOVER THE PRODUCT KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bear in mind nothing here, that is being tried or contemplated is ILLEGAL

So I hook the HD up to my USB device and ..........not recognized

So I hook the HD up to the motherboard spare SATA port and........not recognized.

THANKS Bill!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for nothin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would slave the hard drive through a USB port ....if you go though the spare Sata port it can get kinda kooky especially if the hard drive has its own O/S

Download "MagicJellybean" the free version will find product keys :)

Then back up and get something with windoz seven.

8 is the biggest piece of crap, just as bad as the vista. Lord do I hate windows 8, I run 7.

....I like vista....the fed government finally updated from XP..

I would slave the hard drive through a USB port ....if you go though the spare Sata port it can get kinda kooky especially if the hard drive has its own O/S

Download "MagicJellybean" the free version will find product keys :)

Tried that Rani, both with a "dongle device" and by actually hooking the drive to a spare SATA port

Then back up and get something with windoz seven.

Not an option. Trying to fix this machine for a guy. This is the first time I've REALLY been stumped. I've got prollly 45 minutes of Google time into this.

Just curious.
Does the Gateway BIOS even see the HD?
And it won't boot in the Gateway even in safe mode (I don't know if it has it) with internet?

In the 7 machine on the sata connect did you try refreshing in computer mgt / storage to see if anything shows up?

sorry couldn't resist

Attachments

• 210d73fb9a948234fecbee54993e2fabf60b55dbdbe1382ce17e57152e2cff12.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 168
  • f2ee4be52332b9c148396abd78d73f35281cc0973560e828fb985083635b74c2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 210
  • tech-support-funny-cat-pic.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 164
  • h1B1191C8.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 181
The only slaves are the sheeple that keep blowing money on inferior products from a convicted monopolistic company.

Ask me how I really think of them :)

Never in my time with building and fixing pc's have i ever gotten MagicJellyBean to work. It only likes to translate the product key into a bunch of XXXX's.

mehhhhh mehhhh im a sheep then because i prefer Microsoft to apple .....i have no idea why people in my demographic would buy an I-phone or anything made by apple.

Talk about a greedy company that wont even let you do you want with your device without having to buy their restricted and controlled programs ....like I-tunes and all the rest of it ....yuck.

At least Microsoft is more flexible and you can manipulate it to do what you want.

In the 7 machine on the sata connect did you try refreshing in computer mgt / storage to see if anything shows up?

How do I do that?

I've not done anything more today. I've only once had one other drive "not be recognized" by my hdd file transfer gizmo

It's similar to this

usb1.jpg

and comes with a power supply. You can hook up full size or laptop EIDE drives or SATA

Never in my time with building and fixing pc's have i ever gotten MagicJellyBean to work. It only likes to translate the product key into a bunch of XXXX's.

That will be on the agenda. I don't think I've ever NOT had it work but all I've used it for is W7, XP

mehhhhh mehhhh im a sheep then because i prefer Microsoft to apple .....i have no idea why people in my demographic would buy an I-phone or anything made by apple.

Talk about a greedy company that wont even let you do you want with your device without having to buy their restricted and controlled programs ....like I-tunes and all the rest of it ....yuck.

At least Microsoft is more flexible and you can manipulate it to do what you want.

Maybe that is why apple has less than 5 % of the computer market share...and people don't buy i phones because they are made by apple..they buy them for the gazillion of apps made by non apple companies... Apple's stock price fell a big chunk last week,,,they are being tromped by Galaxy..

Used to do apple support at a call center...they are not fun to fix..

Apple brought this on themselves...besides, Steve Jobs was a nasty piece of work...

nowadays, I cannot think of a single reason to buy a Mac unless you want to spend more money...

Also I don't see how even with windows 8 the drive is not recognized. I'm assuming if it's the HP computer's primary drive, then it should at least be FAT or such. If you have it attached to the SATA input on your MOBO and nothing popped up, I'd say it's just a toasted drive. Is it saying "device not recognized" or is just nothing popping up? Nothing at all would suggest a power issue of the mobo itself, possibly a cold joint on the input, but being not recognized, I'd say maybe it's a possibility it's in a weird format. Is this a solid state?

AS for windows 8, it's incredibly difficult to get rid of. I bought a laptop with 8 on it, and had a copy of windows 7 I bought about 3 years ago and never used. I tried installing it, and lo and behold 8 recognized my 7 copy an a non-genuine copy of windows, it then installed some code program that told me I needed to buy a new copy every 5 minutes. Microsoft help would not activate it either due to me not having a proof of purchase anymore. I went with ubuntu on that machine - it works ok. I too hate windows 8.

behold 8 recognized my 7 copy an a non-genuine copy of windows, it then installed some code program t.

Don't know. In a case like that "some sort" of 3rd party partitioning program........including a Linux based one, should have been able to get rid of pretty much everything on the drive so you could start from scratch

On the other hand, it's obvious Microshit has gone to a lot of trouble for this

"I get" how they are against piracy, but stopping people from legitimately RE installing software that they paid to have the rights to, and making it this difficult, I cannot believe there has not been a class action suit.

What is this like?

This is like a store checking your driving record before they sell you a case of beer, or maybe even hamburger.

The "big thing" for me, is that there does not seem to be a way of recovering the key if the hard drive has failed. The key should not be a secret from the guy who bought and paid for the damn thing

It's bad. Every time I've tried to locate the key for 8, basically all the information you come up with is "there is a key." and that's it. Never tells you what it is, not even with magicJB.

It was a good $270 purchase I made from BestBuy for that copy which is now apparently blacklisted and worthless.

I have 8 on my Gateway quad core computer and I hated it until I found a program called Classic Shell. Once installed it makes your Windows 8 machine work like 7. All the crazy tiles are in the background and you get a regular start menu. You can download it at www.classicshell.net.

Forgot to mention it shows up in the bios on the Grateway

I'm about done with this. This was a favor, and it did as I hoped.....taught be more than I ever wanna know about the latest BS from "the two Bills"

The next step is to try and download the entire AVG install file and updates, and see if I can run it with the HD in the original machine. Part of the problem is that he says you cannot download anything. I won't spend much more time on this.

Thanks for the input.

How do I do that?

I've not done anything more today. I've only once had one other drive "not be recognized" by my hdd file transfer gizmo

It's similar to this

[URL="http://www.thetechmentor.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/usb1.jpg"][URL="http://www.thetechmentor.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/usb1.jpg"][/URL][/URL]

and comes with a power supply. You can hook up full size or laptop EIDE drives or SATA

Might be worth a shot on the W7 sata connect.
It was not a W8 but I was able to open a corrupt hard drive in "control panel/ all control panel items/ administrative tools/ computer management/ storage/ disk management" on my W7 machine after refreshing under "actions"...................

Attachments

• IMG8.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 98
-
Back