I have 15x7 with 4.25 back space now , will 15x8 with 4.625 BS fit in back

-

jerry6

Banned
Reaction score
with 265-50/15 ? Dart 1970 all stock , 8 3/4 with HD springs . Any body run this size , not that all A bodies have the same dimensions out back .
Or should I stick with the 15x7 with 235 0r 245- 60 series tires ?
Will 15x7 4.25 BS fit in front with 225-60 15 , or will I have to go smaller , 215-60-15 ?

Thanks

Do you have the thicker flanged aftermarket or cut down 5 on 4.5 axles?

Or are you running small bolt pattern or re-drilled small bolt axles?

I know with re-drilled small bolt axle a 245/50/15 with 4.5 backspacing, the tire will be about 1/2" from the leaf springs.

IIRC, the thicker axle flange move the rim out 1/8"? Or is it 1/4".

And your 265 wide tire is wider than a 245.

My guess is that you are going to need to run a 3/8 to 1/2" spacer to keep the tire from rubbing the leaf spring.

After that, start considering the space between the tire and the fender lip.

On a 68 Dart, I have 245/60/15 with 1/2" between tire and leaf spring. And it slightly rubs the fender lip. The rear bushing are bad and the leaf springs are shot.

I don't know if the 70 Dart has more rear fender lip clearance. But I doubt it.

IMHO, it's going to be tough. It would be very helpful if the rear fender lips were bent in (lipped). Do you have aftermarket quarters on your car? Most of those have a wider than stock lip. That will really screw things up.

Be safe and just measure it. Go to any wheel manufacturer website get their work sheet to determining how to measure it. Its actually easy to do and the safest way to determine since all of our cars vary slightly from car to car. Copy and past this link it will give you the measuring you need to determine specific for your car.

http://www.billetspecialties.com/wheels/downloads/wheel-measure-guide/

15x8's with 41/2'' back space will work, but ya need off set hangers and you'll have well over a 1'' spring to tire clearance.

Do you have the thicker flanged aftermarket or cut down 5 on 4.5 axles?

Or are you running small bolt pattern or re-drilled small bolt axles?

I know with re-drilled small bolt axle a 245/50/15 with 4.5 backspacing, the tire will be about 1/2" from the leaf springs.

IIRC, the thicker axle flange move the rim out 1/8"? Or is it 1/4".

And your 265 wide tire is wider than a 245.

My guess is that you are going to need to run a 3/8 to 1/2" spacer to keep the tire from rubbing the leaf spring.

After that, start considering the space between the tire and the fender lip.

On a 68 Dart, I have 245/60/15 with 1/2" between tire and leaf spring. And it slightly rubs the fender lip. The rear bushing are bad and the leaf springs are shot.

I don't know if the 70 Dart has more rear fender lip clearance. But I doubt it.

IMHO, it's going to be tough. It would be very helpful if the rear fender lips were bent in (lipped). Do you have aftermarket quarters on your car? Most of those have a wider than stock lip. That will really screw things up.
All completely stock , SBP factory axles , so 245 /50 15 would be best , shoulds I keep 15x7 4.25 bs rallye wheels instead of going 15x8 4.625 bs

15x8's with 41/2'' back space will work, but ya need off set hangers and you'll have well over a 1'' spring to tire clearance.
Thanks , not going for offset hangers , guess 15x7 are as big as I go .

-
Back