i have 489 case open... how/what do i need to make a sure-grip?

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
i have a 489 cased center section in my 8.75. it is a open, and i am sure it has a highway gear. what do i have to replace to make it a posi unit, and i am looking to make it like a 3:73 i think woud be nice.

any companies out there that seel a full unit? or ..if i buy all the parts to put in my case, do i still need to send it all to someone to set it up or would it be a drop in thing?

You can buy a Powertrax Lock Rite and convert what you have to a similar unit to the Detroit Locker. It will operate in much the same way. It will not be a posi. It will lock the axles together under power and release them to go around a turn. They actually make an open carrier much stronger because they eliminate the spider gears. They are pretty nice and will handle around 400 HP possibly a bit more.

Check Randy's Ring and Pinion, Summit Racing, or Jegs for parts. You should just need the Sure-Grip unit and a new ring/pinion set. It is definitely not a "drop in thing". It will need set up for backlash, preload, etc. The factory Mopar manual does a nice job of explaining it. I did mine myself with no prior knowledge; just a Mopar service manual and a press. If you're not up to doing it yourself, you can buy a third member pre-set-up from Randy's Ring and Pinion, but they're pricey.

yea, too pricey for me. but it seems that noone ever sells 3:55 or :71 anymore. lol

another question is, would a 72 8.75 340 car have a small yoke or large yoke. there is a suregrip that was just listed for sale, but i do not know if it will work with my driveshaft.

the cups on my universals are 1.06" i believe,,,,,,small or large yoke?

another question is, would a 72 8.75 340 car have a small yoke or large yoke. there is a suregrip that was just listed for sale, but i do not know if it will work with my driveshaft.

the cups on my universals are 1.06" i believe,,,,,,small or large yoke?
It will work.If the yokes different count the splines and get an aftermarket yoke to fit your application. Many vendors sell them.

With the Lock Rite you don't even have to worry about gear setup because you never take the gears out. Just FYI.

You can buy a Powertrax Lock Rite and convert what you have to a similar unit to the Detroit Locker. It will operate in much the same way. It will not be a posi. It will lock the axles together under power and release them to go around a turn. They actually make an open carrier much stronger because they eliminate the spider gears. They are pretty nice and will handle around 400 HP possibly a bit more.

Surely they can handle more than 400 h.p! A good detroit locker should hold up to a big block...

-
Back