I have a 1972 Plymouth Scamp that's been sitting for 25+ years, how much is it worth?

-

dgfalk

Reaction score
Brand new here, hopefully I am posting in the right forum. A few years ago my grandpa gave me this 1972 Plymouth Scamp. He built a shop at least 25 years ago and told me he drove the car in this shop, parked it, and it hasn't moved since. Unfortunately he passed away last year so I can't get any more info on the car. All I know is it's a 6 cylinder, the body and interior are in good shape (except for the roof), and I don't remember the millage off hand. There's no sentimental value to this car and I want to sell it to fund another project. I live in Montana, what could I sell this car for? I only have 1 picture of it right now, but can get more once I get it unburied. I also have the title in hand and the last time it was registered was back in 1981.

IMG_0132.JPG

The overall condition of the car, will reflect its value.
So dig it out and take some good pictures.

My condolences on your loss. We'll need MUCH better pictures than that if you want anywhere near decent answers.

My condolences on your loss. We'll need MUCH better pictures than that if you want anywhere near decent answers.
Thanks. I'll work on getting some better pics next time I visit grandma. Is there a bare minimum price I could except?

Thanks. I'll work on getting some better pics next time I visit grandma. Is there a bare minimum price I could except?
Without better pictures, I'm saying whatever scrap price is.

Without better pictures, I'm saying whatever scrap price is.
RRR, you are such a crank! and this new guy might not get that you are just prodding him for the pics in your usual warm fuzzy way...

RRR, you are such a crank! and this new guy might not get that you are just prodding him for the pics in your usual warm fuzzy way...
I'm not prodding anything. I'm dead serious. If he doesn't understand the need for good pictures to get a good price, then there's nothing I can do. I'm not gonna sugar coat it. If he posted that anywhere for sale with that one picture, the lowballs he would get would be lower than a 100 year old man's cod sack.

Welcome! With that one picture it’s gonna be tough for anyone to toss an educated price to you. It looks like it’s missing trim (headlight and headlight trim at a minimum).

Best to unbury the Scamp and take a bunch of photos. Looks like it’s gonna take a while to get to the Scamp given how close other two cars are parked beside it.

Do any of the cars run? Could be a day job hauling the cars out.

3 hours more or less. Get some pics once you get it out. Inside, outside, trunk, underneath. See if the front end is there.

Nice, not far away at all. I'm almost positive all the front end parts are in the trunk.

Welcome! With that one picture it’s gonna be tough for anyone to toss an educated price to you. It looks like it’s missing trim (headlight and headlight trim at a minimum).

Best to unbury the Scamp and take a bunch of photos. Looks like it’s gonna take a while to get to the Scamp given how close other two cars are parked beside it.

Do any of the cars run? Could be a day job hauling the cars out.

Once I get some time I'll get it out and get some more pictures. Shouldnt be to hard now, the white Mustang is out of the shop, and the blue Galaxy is moved over so I can at least open the door.

The slant 6 cars are worth less than the factory V8 cars.

There is one reason some of these cars are still around, because they had a slant 6.

☆☆☆☆☆

Nice, not far away at all. I'm almost positive all the front end parts are in the trunk.

Once I get some time I'll get it out and get some more pictures. Shouldnt be to hard now, the white Mustang is out of the shop, and the blue Galaxy is moved over so I can at least open the door.
Maybe we have a member closer than three hours away who'd be willing to come give you a trained eye and help assess the car a little better. I could see someone doing it for maybe gas money or a sack of Burger King or something.

Please don't be upset with some of the answers. Our members are just trying to be honest. It's like trying to call a doctor on the phone and get a diagnosis on a difficult medical problem. He will politely tell you it isn't possible. He will tell he will have to see you and check you out. If he is honest, he might even tell you it could be something very bad, and that you need to come in right away. Well, we need to see the car and check it out also before we can give you the diagnosis (price quote) you want.
Before taking the pictures, you need to do the following things:
1. Roll it out, wash it thoroughly on the outside. If the paint looks pretty good, you might even try to polish and wax one place (like the hood or a whole fender) to show us how good the paint is.
2. Then clean it up thoroughly on the inside, and I do mean thoroughly. We need to see how the interior looks.
3. Thoroughly clean out and clean up the trunk.
4. Thoroughly clean out and clean up the engine compartment.
5. Try to get it running. It will be worth a lot more if it runs. It is not a difficult task. the gas in the tank will be garbage, so you will have to bypass that. If you have any questions, ask on this forum about a week before you try to start it.
6. Now you ready to take pictures. Take lots of pictures. If there are any bad places, make sure to show them. The presence, or absence, of tears in the interior, big dents or rust spots/bubbles in the body, the price will be affected. Crawl under the car and look carefully for rust anywhere. Rust in frame rails, floor pans, trunk area, etc will affect the price.

Then post the pictures. I do not know what the limit of pictures per post is. You might have to do it in two posts.
Then we can give you a better idea.

From what I see it has AC , 3 speed wipers and turn indicators on the fender. So it could have some nice options. Just what is visible if the car is rot free and the interior is nice 10K. If it has nice bucket seat interior with other options 15K. Get it out , Wash it and Post more pictures. Start High you can always reduce the price. Put it on this site and I am sure it will sell. 1972 is the last of the nice Scamps

There’s also a tag inside the drivers front fender. You’ll want to cover the VIN on it(it will correspond with the windshield VIN tag) and post it with pictures, too. You’ll also want to inspect closely around the rear window and feel for any soft spots underneath the vinyl top to report, too. Looks like a good candidate for a Big Block swap, though!

Last edited:
There’s also a tag inside the drivers front fender. You’ll want to cover the VIN on it(it will correspond with the windshield VIN tag) and post it with pictures, too. Looks like a good candidate for a Big Block swap, though!
Heresy! lol

-
Back