I have a 68 barracuda dash cluster that I don’t need, all guages are clean except the speedometer, ?

What’s a fair price for a 68 barracuda dash cluster with a 150 mph speedometer that has rust spots ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

Jbcuda

Reaction score
What’s a fair price for a 68 barracuda dash cluster with a 150mph speedometer that has rust spots, other guages are clean? Thanks jb

The fuel, oil, and temp gauges are thermal. They have a resistor wire wound on a bimetal beam inside that heats up to move the needle. At 50 yrs old, clean to look at on the outside doesn't mean much. Even worse is this 3 post rally fuel gauge having the thermal limiter inside. More heat in it and twice as much to fail. Without opening, inspecting and testing, these 3 are 15 dollar each gamblers chance or cores.
This amp gauge is a better built compared to some others but it is often converted to a Volts gauge regardless. Again 15 dollar core.
A working vacuum performance indicator will bring 40 dollars. I have yet to see a dead one of these instruments.
I honestly dont know what a untested tachometer sells for. I'll leave that one to others comments.
Now the speedometer, 150 mph or 120 mph, when we see them photographed they are resting on their input shaft. This little bit of pressure didn't shift the magnet center and lift the needle away from zero when they were new. If I see the needle lift to 7 mph or more I am concerned with the wear. I also know my car isn't a daily driver, so this instrument might last a few more years for me. I wont go into the issues that come with the additional trip clock. I can hold out for one that shows less wear or plan on paying as much as 200 dollars for restore on top of my purchase price.
Beyond all that, screen cleaning or decals, needle repaint, cosmetic is the least of it.
Circuit boards without loose/bent/broken contact pins or other damage are typically priced at half to two thirds of the new reproductions retail price. The smaller left side board with contact pins near the top of it is the more often damaged and needed.
The 68 model pot metal inst' housing applies thru 71 models (67 is different). I don't know what a stripped bare housing is worth to a buyer who is starting from scratch.
So... some guidance for you and some guidance for others looking at your pics, what they are looking at, what to look for. Good luck.

-
Back