I have a few lifters making noise until well warmed up

-
Reason I asked about rockers is if your running the adjustable rockers, maybe they backed off slightly allowing for a little slop until the lifters pump up.

I always use a bottle of zddp with every oil change , and change it every 2000 miles , 80% highway driving cruising at 70 - 80 mph , no short trips .
What royal purple oil should I use , and would it need zddp added . The garage I change oil at carries royal purple XPR 10 40 , 20-50 and HPS 10-40 , 20-50 , I use 10-40 weight synthetic oil now .

The only Royal Purple I've seen is what AutoZone carries and it says it's fine for flat tappet lifters and I've read it has a good ZDDP package already. Sorry but I'm not a Royal Purple guru to know the differences between the XPR and HPS. Maybe check out their website and it'll say.

I've checked web site , not clear on xpr ZDDP levels hps they say is high ZDDP .

Remember too, too much zinc is also a bad thing.

Remember too, too much zinc is also a bad thing.
It's confusing as hell , come say zinc or zddp is not needed after cam is broken in itherssay always needed , I always add a bottle of ZDDP , but never used a high zinc oil . Found this on RP site , guess Ill buy some XPR 10 40 and skip the zinc .

"" Yes. All Royal Purple engine oils contain the zinc/phosphorus compound zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate (ZDDP). Royal Purple HPS and XPR lines of engine oils are formulated with a higher concentration of these elements and are suitable for both roller and flat tappet valve trains.""

The need for ZDDP really depends on the cams rate of lift (intensity, if you will) and the valve spring pressure. If your running a stock or lazy grind cam with low spring pressures it may not be needed. But for a cam like yours I can't say I agree with only needing it for break in if your running the springs it calls for. I figure it's cheap insurance

did you replace the exhaust valve seats ? sometimes they get loose and sound like lifters noise and tighen up when they get hot, seen this many times on brand x before.

did you replace the exhaust valve seats ? sometimes they get loose and sound like lifters noise and tighen up when they get hot, seen this many times on brand x before.
When rebuilt yes , that was 5 years ago , about 12,000 miles . Will look into it though . THANKS

you got me on this one.

i think it's the water pump lol.

anyways try the rubber hose trick using it like a stethoscope

just a thought tho, because my 340 ran vigorously would wear out cheap water pumps quickly.

is the noise bank specific? Like say the left side or is it both sides? If it seems centralized to the left bank there is a plug in the rear of the lifter bore that I have seen missing and/ or loose. This plug is sometimes missed or not tightened on rebuild. If you pull the dizzy out it can be seen through the hole.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=266852

Second the 4 bolt cam thrust plate the secures the camshaft. There are two lifter bore plugs behind there, or not, I have seen them both ways w or w/o.
best to read about it here. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=175598

-
Back