I have a question about gearing for the strip.

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Besides rpm difference what would be the expectation from a 4.56 gear vs a 4.10 gear ?
I'm going to be putting my dana 60 together in a couple weeks after I finish prepping it.
The car is a 70 dart, I'm guessing it will weigh 3300 with me in it.
The slicks are 30.6 tall.
By the Dyno numbers I'm guessing it will run low 10s and 130-135 mph.
I have done the calculations for both gears.
I started off with the 4.56 but since my 470 is making peak power at 5800 I decided I don't need to rev it out another 1300 rpm.
I don't know what my converter slip would be either since I don't own one yet.

When I ran the 408 in my Swinger, I broke the 4.56 I had in it. Only thing I had to put in right away was a 3.91. I saw absolutely no difference in e.t. and picked up 1.5 mph.

When I ran the 408 in my Swinger, I broke the 4.56 I had in it. Only thing I had to put in right away was a 3.91. I saw absolutely no difference in e.t. and picked up 1.5 mph.
Wow, now that's unexpected. Did your rpm at the stripe stay the same or was it less ?

Wow, now that's unexpected. Did your rpm at the stripe stay the same or was it less ?
That would trap about 7400 with the 4.56. With the 3.91, it dropped 300. Should also note, this wasn't really a well sorted combo. But, it was pretty consistent. Makes no sense, I know.

That would trap about 7400 with the 4.56. With the 3.91, it dropped 300. Should also note, this wasn't really a well sorted combo. But, it was pretty consistent. Makes no sense, I know.
Wow okay, well if it works out that way in my car I'd be happy crossing under 7000...there's really no reason to be up there for too long

I ran a 4.30 in my Daytona for years and loved it. Started out running 9.0’s and ended up 840’s@160mph. Such a universal gear. In my Duster when I was running 9.30’s@138mph with a 4.88 gear and 14-32 slick I was just about ready to change it and everyone switched to 1/8 mile racing in my class. Make sure you know all the needed info before you decide.

Last edited:
I ran a 4.30 in my Daytona for years and loved it. Started out running 9.0’s and ended up 840’s@160mph. Such a universal gear. In my Daytona when I was running 9.30’s@138mph with a 4.88 gear and 14-32 slick I was just about ready to change it and everyone switched to 1/8 mile racing in my class. Make sure you know all the needed info before you decide.
Thanks, I do have both sets of gears already and have been also thinking about 4.30s but I'll need another carrier since I don't think there are any 4.30s that are thin, like 4.10s have

My track bounces back and forth between quarter and eighth seemingly for no reason so that's something I need to ask the track manager too.

FWIW...I swapped from a 4.56 to a 4.10 in my avatar. 408 stroker engine with 28" tall slicks. 5000 stall converter off a footbrake. Both rears hook up equally well. Have run lower ets with the 4.10 as the 4.56 wanted to spin the engine to 6700-6800 at the stripe. Power peak more like 5800 hence the 4.10. It now traps in the 6100-6200 range ([email protected] best).

FWIW...I swapped from a 4.56 to a 4.10 in my avatar. 408 stroker engine with 28" tall slicks. 5000 stall converter off a footbrake. Both rears hook up equally well. Have run lower ets with the 4.10 as the 4.56 wanted to spin the engine to 6700-6800 at the stripe. Power peak more like 5800 hence the 4.10. It now traps in the 6100-6200 range ([email protected] best).
Now that's what I was aiming to hear lol. Lol, sold ! I will probably be using a 5500 stall.

I ran 4.56, 4.11, and 3.91 in my 440 62, and with the lousy heads I'm using, the extra rpm from the steeper gears only wear out the engine sooner. I saw no change in E.T or mph for any gear change. I also noticed there was no need to spin it to 6500, or even 6200, it runs the same shifted at 5900.
My Tina started out with 5.57s, ((14x32 tires, and a glide/brake) changed to 4.57, it was quicker and faster (n/a small block)
My Opel has 3.50s. When I get the 496 or 540 in it, I'll probably keep the gear. Meantime, with a 454, I'm planning on .3.90s
In your place, I would chose the 4.10s, 100%.

I ran 4.56, 4.11, and 3.91 in my 440 62, and with the lousy heads I'm using, the extra rpm from the steeper gears only wear out the engine sooner. I saw no change in E.T or mph for any gear change. I also noticed there was no need to spin it to 6500, or even 6200, it runs the same shifted at 5900.
My Tina started out with 5.57s, ((14x32 tires, and a glide/brake) changed to 4.57, it was quicker and faster (n/a small block)
My Opel has 3.50s. When I get the 496 or 540 in it, I'll probably keep the gear. Meantime, with a 454, I'm planning on .3.90s
Good info thanks

I was going to say 4.10's is what I would go with on your combo but it looks like you decided to do just that so good.

My build started out with 4.10's and 28" tall tire but then I ordered up a set of 29x10.50's which are actually 29.3" tall so I ordered a 3rd member with 4.30's. I'm guessing I will be bouncing off the rev limiter at 7000 at the stripe. If so, I'll throw a 7100 or 7200 pill in the box.... lol

I was going to say 4.10's is what I would go with on your combo but it looks like you decided to do just that so good.

My build started out with 4.10's and 28" tall tire but then I ordered up a set of 29x10.50's which are actually 29.3" tall so I ordered a 3rd member with 4.30's. I'm guessing I will be bouncing off the rev limiter at 7000 at the stripe. If so, I'll throw a 7100 or 7200 pill in the box.... lol
I just received some great information from another member mentioning that I should contact a converter company 1st and give them my dyno numbers with the car weight because if I pick the wrong converter my torque might drive right through the converter. But he said just don't pick the gear yet until I have that info to, which I appreciate greatly since I'm very good at buying stuff twice & not good at selling what I don't need lol.

Is your engine a 408 ?

I'm very good at buying stuff twice & not good at selling what I don't need lol.
lol, I’m the same….. I’m on my 2nd dropout and gear, third set of wheels and tires, 3rd shifter, 2nd gallon of paint (different color), 2nd interior package, 2nd distributor and ignition box and now a 2nd intake manifold! All before I got the engine back from the builder and my car isn’t even close to being done yet! :lol:

I would definitely feel better about running that rpm with a small block indeed. Hey, do you know the guy who brought out the super bird to the Mopar drags ?
I met him before he's got a garage full of wing cars

lol, I’m the same….. I’m on my 2nd dropout and gear, third set of wheels and tires, 3rd shifter, 2nd gallon of paint (different color), 2nd interior package, 2nd distributor and ignition box and now a 2nd intake manifold! All before I got the engine back from the builder and my car isn’t even close to being done yet! :lol:
Yep. Lol, mirror image

I would definitely feel better about running that rpm with a small block indeed. Hey, do you know the guy who brought out the super bird to the Mopar drags ?
No I don’t. Was meaning to talk to him but never had the chance.

Well shoot, that’s not far from me! I’m in Arlington.
Really nice guy, he was working on a mint red with white stripe daytona and the jack somehow slipped and put a big dent in the quarter panel.
He didn't swear and said well it's just a car.
My reaction was not that.

Might be Dave Lolly, I believe he lives in Burlington which is south of Bellingham. Drives a red/white wing car to the friday nite car show at the Burgermaster drive-in in Mt Vernon.

Grant

Last edited:
Might be Dave Lolly, I believe he lives in Burlington which is south of Bellingham. Drives a wing car to the friday nite car show at the Burgermaster drive-in in Mt Vernon.

Grant
His name is Greg Peck I think.

-
Back