I have a question about gearing for the strip.

-
Might be Dave Lolly, I believe he lives in Burlington which is south of Bellingham. Drives a wing car to the friday nite car show at the Burgermaster drive-in in Mt Vernon.

Grant
But yeah you nailed it he does live in mt Vernon, now I remember

Might be Dave Lolly, I believe he lives in Burlington which is south of Bellingham. Drives a wing car to the friday nite car show at the Burgermaster drive-in in Mt Vernon.

Grant
Last time I saw him he had 5 wing cars and a convertible 69 roadrunner 383 4 speed that was in 2019

I ran 4.56 in my duster and best et was 6.455 in the 1/8, switched to 4.10 and it's gone 6.461. Pretty much same mph 103-105. 60' used to be 1.39-1.41 usually goes 1.42-1.44 now.

I ran 4.56 in my duster and best et was 6.455 in the 1/8, switched to 4.10 and it's gone 6.461. Pretty much same mph 103-105. 60' used to be 1.39-1.41 usually goes 1.42-1.44 now.

I think Matt did the same thing in his duster. 4.56 to a 4.10 and I was kinda pissed because I thought it would really slow it down but it didn’t. His car when running is a moving billboard for me and has gotten me a lot of porting jobs.

I think Matt did the same thing in his duster. 4.56 to a 4.10 and I was kinda pissed because I thought it would really slow it down but it didn’t. His car when running is a moving billboard for me and has gotten me a lot of porting jobs.
Well hell yeah

With the torque your engine makes, you could run a 3.91 gear. If it hp peaks at 5800 you don’t want to be going through the traps at 7400. Hopefully you can gear it to touch the rev limiter at the stripe a few hundred above peak hp. Like 61-6200.

With the torque your engine makes, you could run a 3.91 gear. If it hp peaks at 5800 you don’t want to be going through the traps at 7400. Hopefully you can gear it to touch the rev limiter at the stripe a few hundred above peak hp. Like 61-6200.
Yes, I definitely don't want to be at that rpm. I worry to much and gaskets aren't cheap anymore.
I think the 4.10 gears will get me there with a almost 31 inch tall tire.
Calculator says 6100 ish I believe. I'm not afraid of running it out to 6500, it's still making good power.
But I don't know how accurate the calculator is.
Still going to talk to ptc first before I put any gear in just in case they have something to say.

Last edited:
Yes, I definitely don't want to be at that rpm. I worry to much and gaskets aren't cheap anymore.
I think the 4.10 gears will get me there with a almost 31 inch tall tire.
Calculator says 6100 ish I believe. I'm not afraid of running it out to 6500, it's still making good power.
But I don't know how accurate the calculator is.
Still going to talk to ptc first before I put any gear in just in case they have something to say.
Just make sure you factor in converter slip. Most calculators don’t.

I have 4.56 in my Dana and I'm 60 footing 1.37-1.39. I'd like to try going from a 12" slick to a 14" slick but it will be 2.5" taller. I don't think that is enough to affect E.T.s but maybe 60 ft.

It’s not at all uncommon for a typical “bracket car” with the usual bracket converter to show close to 10% converter slip at the end on the 1/4.

It’s not at all uncommon for a typical “bracket car” with the usual bracket converter to show close to 10% converter slip at the end on the 1/4.
So according to calculator I could be looking at 6600-6700 with 4.10 gears . That's doable

I’d definitely call your preferred converter manufacturer and tell them what you’re up to. That converter setup is more important than picking a gear ratio in my opinion. Especially for a bracket car. Talk about gear ratio with the manufacturer and I bet after you hang up the phone you will know the direction you want to go.

I’d definitely call your preferred converter manufacturer and tell them what you’re up to. That converter setup is more important than picking a gear ratio in my opinion. Especially for a bracket car. Talk about gear ratio with the manufacturer and I bet after you hang up the phone you will know the direction you want to go.
Thank you, yeah that's the plan,

IIRC, my 8" ATI Treemaster TC that stalls at 5000 rpm has about 5-6% slip through the lights (1/4 mile). 28" tire with a 4.10 axle, 6150 in the lights at 118.3 mph.

I'm going to give Neal Chance converters a call this week and see if they'll talk to my dumbass

-
Back