I Have An Idea??

-

Treblig

Reaction score
Would it be possible to create a "flag" system that will not allow a member to post anything in the for sale/trade or for that matter attempt to buy and item when their PM box is full?? I see (quite frequently) members trying to sell, buy or trade something but their PM box is full and no one can have a conversation about the item.

Just an idea>>>

treblig

Would it be possible to create a "flag" system that will not allow a member to post anything in the for sale/trade or for that matter attempt to buy and item when their PM box is full?? I see (quite frequently) members trying to sell, buy or trade something but their PM box is full and no one can have a conversation about the item.

Just an idea>>>

treblig

It could probably be done -- but it would only check when the ad was started, so if the user had 1 open conversation slot when he started the ad, and it filled up the first day, you would still have an ad with no pm ability.

It could probably be done -- but it would only check when the ad was started, so if the user had 1 open conversation slot when he started the ad, and it filled up the first day, you would still have an ad with no pm ability.

Yes that's true but as soon as the seller tries to respond (to the buyer) he would automatically be informed that his/her PM box is full which would keep him from selling his parts!! This would force him/her to clear his box so that he can continue to try and sell/buy/trade??

Treblig

No - the ad would still be live, it would just prevent him from starting another ad

No - the ad would still be live, it would just prevent him from starting another ad
I'm confused?? I wasn't talking about his/her "ad". I was talking about the PM feature. If the first buyer writes a PM to the seller and the seller's box only has one slot for that one PM (from the buyer) then the seller will get a message (alerting him/her that there's a message). Once the seller tries to respond he won't be able to because his PM box is full?? He/she would be forced to clear his/her box to continue communicating. Isn't that how it would work??

treblig

Would it be possible to create a "flag" system that will not allow a member to post anything in the for sale/trade or for that matter attempt to buy and item when their PM box is full??

This is what you asked originally - now you seem to be going in a different direction...

This is what you asked originally - now you seem to be going in a different direction...
You are exactly correct!! My qoute was "when their PM box is full". You wrote "if there is one open conversation slot", if there is one open conversation slot the PM box is not full???
If the PM box is full the seller wouldn't be able to post anything for sale/trade without having to clear their (full) box. If there is one conversation slot open then the seller would get the "one" PM (and get a message telling him/her) but then he/she wouldn't be able to respond because the PM box which would full force him/her to clear their box if they want to continue any conversations??

treblig

Ok, your talking about 2 different things it looks like...

The first -- would be when they start an ad, it would check for PM space, and if there is none, it wouldn't let them start an ad.

The second seems to have nothing to do with ads specifically but just with conversations.. Correct?

By George, I think you've got it!!

"The first -- would be when they start an ad, it would check for PM space, and if there is none, it wouldn't let them start an ad."

Yes, exactly

"The second seems to have nothing to do with ads specifically but just with conversations.. Correct?"

Well yes, I wasn't concerned with the link between conversations and ads (per say) except when the seller "starts" an ad. It wouldn't matter if there are any conversation slots open at all (whether one or two or three). The trick is to prevent a member from starting an ad and no one is able to respond with a conversation....I see it all the time. The seller will try and sell something and for days members will respond to the "ad" telling the seller his/her box is full. The seller is either out of town or hasn't been checking in at the site. Eventually the seller will check the "ad" and realize that his/her box is full.

If there was a way to keep a member from starting an "ad" (when their PM box is FULL) it would move things along much more quickly.

treblig

If there was a way to keep a member from starting an "ad" (when their PM box is FULL) it would move things along much more quickly.

That can probably be done, but like I said, it would have limited effect since if a member only had 1 available conversation it would still let them start the ad. The first PM would lock up their box again.

When a member logs in (say me) I would see first thing was a notice (Like a birthday date) , That my PM box was full and can no longer get PM's until I empty it.
Then there would be a short cut to empty my PM's.. Just thinking out loud , Good day everyone

When a member logs in (say me) I would see first thing was a notice (Like a birthday date) , That my PM box was full and can no longer get PM's until I empty it.
Then there would be a short cut to empty my PM's.. Just thinking out loud , Good day everyone

I was just thinking the same thing.....

@Treblig Looks like when a users inbox is full, they aren't warned until they try to start a new conversation.

SO maybe the better way to improve this is a warning of some sort when the inbox is full....

Any method that you can think of would be helpful. I'm not an IT guy so if you could "flag" a member when their PM box is full it would be helpful to everyone. The only reason I suggested that the member be flagged (notified) when he/she tries to sell/trade is that people are busy and some never have time to clear their PM box. I get busy sometimes so I know, I've had to clear my PM box before and it's a hassle but IF YOU WANT TO SELL something it kinda forces you to clear it out.
If they just get flagged when they log onto the site they will put it off until they want to send a PM to someone, but if they can't post a sale item....that will get their attention!!!

If I wanted to sell something and get my money I would gladly clear my PM box ASAP (if I knew it was full).

The best solution should "bubble" to the surface!!!!

Treblig

The best solution should "bubble" to the surface!!!!

Right now I'm thinking about some kind of warning that would appear anytime the max # of conversations is reached - This warning would appear on every page.

Well any kind of warning is great as long as the member isn't allowed to sell/trade (or make any transactions) with their PM box full (or near full, if possible). I actually didn't think anyone would listen to my idea.......I was dead wrong!!!!

PS - I know that making changes to the web site are not easy...you don't just snap your fingers and make everything perfect!!
Treblig

I know that making changes to the web site are not easy...you don't just snap your fingers and make everything perfect!!

Nor cheap. I have to pay a programmer to make things like this....

well any kind of warning is great as long as the member isn't allowed to sell/trade (or make any transactions) with their PM box full (or near full, if possible). I actually didn't think anyone would listen to my idea.......I was dead wrong!!!!

I don't know if linking it to selling ads makes sense in the overall scheme of things --- but just having a good warning system may be enough to solve the problem....

Nor cheap. I have to pay a programmer to make things like this....

I don't know if linking it to selling ads makes sense in the overall scheme of things --- but just having a good warning system may be enough to solve the problem....

I know it's not something that can be solved with "a snap of the fingers". But I also know that most people won't respond to a warning or message. The only thing that will get someones' attention is a "physical" barrier that prevents them posting something when there's no way for anyone to respond.

Treblig

I know it's not something that can be solved with "a snap of the fingers". But I also know that most people won't respond to a warning or message. The only thing that will get someones' attention is a "physical" barrier that prevents them posting something when there's no way for anyone to respond.

Treblig

Lets just see what we come up with and if it helps or not...

-
Back