I have been doing body work all wrong.

-
well...that Por 15 is tuff stuff. Body guys hate it because if you have to remove it, it is impossible.Most find it easier to cut completely outside that stuff to patch with metal.More and more body shops are using panel bond...it'll outlast the steel.
I agree with post #17.

He forgot the ultimate hack step, bedliner coating!

The most shocking thing is not the video itself. Its that there are people here defending his techniques as if that is even remotely a proper repair. If your filling a rust hole to pass inspection you just slam some gorilla hair in there and be done with it.

My guess is, it's looking a lot better than the body shop hell that most guys and gals cars end up in. The body man tell you 3 to 6 months and a year and a half latter you find out on faceplant he has quit doing body work and closed up the shop and could have possibly moved out of state. Just happened to a good buddy and he has no idea were his car is, trying to get the police involved now.

Well I used to patch floor pans with road signs. I knew it was not correct thirty years ago and I sure wouldnt post a video saying its a sufficient repair.
I had a 70 duster with three speed limit signs and a stop sign in it :) It had zero floor pans left.

OK. It is confession time. I used to Patch rust holes without welding, but there is a decent way to do it. I used to patch smaller holes (2" or less) by cutting all rust out, grinding about 2" past the edge of the hole, tapping the edge of the hole down, and making a patch with several layers of fiberglass mat and JB Weld epoxy. I tried to wind up with a surface that was almost level with the surrounding area. Then I would do filler work. For larger holes, I would cut all rust out, grind about 2" past the edge of the hole, tap the edge of the hole down, and make a patch with sheet metal. Then I would drill holes through the patch and car area, smear the area with JB Weld and pop rivet the patch into place. Then filler and primer. Now that I am pretty good with welding, that seems like a hack, but it lasted 20 years on one car.

Drywall seam tape, spackle, covered w/ Imron!! Rolled-up cardboard shoved into a hole, cut flush, then a blob of Tiger Hair pushed in...skimmed then covered with wax paper. When it heats up & turns solid the paper peels right off. Tin flashing & Liquid Nails. Wood screws & heavy plastic sheet left-over from whatever. Screws & washers holding shingles/roll-roofing. Just off the top of state insp.-only, or worse, actual body shop **** I've seen in PA.

Last edited:
-
Back