I have had a few members ask

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here is what I did, I asked waggin to build me a set of these 4 years ago, and they have been flawless, I wanted a split manifold so #1,2,3 will flow threw there own pipe a few feet, and the 4,5,and 6 have there own.
He (waggin) a member/staff here split my manifolds and smoothed them out and attached 305 chevy flanges to them
So I ran 2'' from each manifold to the tail shaft then to a single 2 1/4 to a 273/318 stock muffler the exited with a 2'' off the muffler, this works great for my low deck 170/6, but if and when I go with my new big valve shaved head I will change my muffler and exit with a 2 1/2'' tail pipe.

Here is a video the day I got them all hooked up and headed to the muffler shop

Pictures will fallow in my next post

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JInsZEHyig"]41120010HolleyNEW!! 003.avi - YouTube[/ame]

Pictures for all the members I got pm's from asking how this was dun :glasses7:

I agree that going to a 2 1/4 down pipe is all I really need at this time, but I am now ready for a bigger shaved head and let it breath a bit better and not conflict back back pressure so close to the head .. Just me :thumblef:

Attachments

• GEORGE%20RAYS%20GONE%20TO%20BE%20%20STRONG%20045.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 589
  • JEEP%20FRESH%20AIR%201993%204_0%20131.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 574
  • Speep%20056.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 647
  • Duals%20all%20HOOKED%20UP%20032.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 624
  • Duals%20all%20HOOKED%20UP%20029.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 610
I have the only other set of those "split" slant 6 manifolds on Bruce's old 65 dart wagon. The mufflers rotted out, so we cleaned up and made it 2" all the way from manifold to dual 2" tailpipes with Dynomax mufflers. Nice and quiet for around town but gets a little throaty when you rev it up.

Some parts of the exhaust that came on it were necked down to 1 7/8", so we had it opened up to be all 2". It sounds better, and runs much smoother. The pipes come out just behind the rear wheels, so fumes don't come in through the tailgate if you drive with the window down. They are pretty cool!

I have the only other set of those "split" slant 6 manifolds on Bruce's old 65 dart wagon. The mufflers rotted out, so we cleaned up and made it 2" all the way from manifold to dual 2" tailpipes with Dynomax mufflers. Nice and quiet for around town but gets a little throaty when you rev it up.

Some parts of the exhaust that came on it were necked down to 1 7/8", so we had it opened up to be all 2". It sounds better, and runs much smoother. The pipes come out just behind the rear wheels, so fumes don't come in through the tailgate if you drive with the window down. They are pretty cool!

I did not know you had the other set :cheers: I just learned today that the valve cover I had powder coated was Bruce's also :shock: I am so proud to have a piece of Bruce's car, RIP our friend .

So I ran 2'' from each manifold to the tail shaft then to a single 2 1/4 to a 273/318 stock muffler the exited with a 2'' off the muffler, this works great for my low deck 170/6, but if and when I go with my new big valve shaved head I will change my muffler and exit with a 2 1/2'' tail pipe.

Hey Mike, I was just thinking....

If you run two 2" pipes into one pipe, what diameter pipe would be equal to the area of two 2" pipes? (that way you should have less restriction with the single pipe area the same as two 2" pipes) I did the math, and came up with 2.83". So in theory one 2.83" diameter pipe will have the same area (and hopefully equal flow) as two 2" pipes. Since 2 3/4" pipe is not common, it would be interesting to see what would happen if you made a Y-pipe to take both 2" exhaust into a single 3" system all the way back.... Since parts for a 3" pipe are more common and would be cheaper than 2 3/4"... :happy2:

Just something to think about for your next "stage" of upgrade... :scratch: :-k

I did not know you had the other set :cheers: I just learned today that the valve cover I had powder coated was Bruce's also :shock: I am so proud to have a piece of Bruce's car, RIP our friend .

That's interesting. Something else that we have in common!

RIP Bruce.

Hey Mike, I was just thinking....

If you run two 2" pipes into one pipe, what diameter pipe would be equal to the area of two 2" pipes? (that way you should have less restriction with the single pipe area the same as two 2" pipes) I did the math, and came up with 2.83". So in theory one 2.83" diameter pipe will have the same area (and hopefully equal flow) as two 2" pipes. Since 2 3/4" pipe is not common, it would be interesting to see what would happen if you made a Y-pipe to take both 2" exhaust into a single 3" system all the way back.... Since parts for a 3" pipe are more common and would be cheaper than 2 3/4"... :happy2:

Just something to think about for your next "stage" of upgrade... :scratch: :-k
This will be an easy change when I go with my new shaved big valve head and thinking/hopping to have a 225 block built with a good bump stick in it.
I see what you are saying :thumblef: but for know 2'' to 2 1/4 will keep me on the road and running smooth, I really think a little back pressure is good in some cases, I had a truck shaved/balanced/high gas 36? and it ran better with the headers hooked up to my exhaust, when I ran them open I lost 3 to 4 10ths in the 1/8 mile. Yep :thumblef: something to thing about for sure :hello2:

Actually, the firing order is 153624. But the reason it sounds like that is because it swaps back and forth between the to pairs of "3" each time it fires. So each manifold fires opposite the other. There's never a sequential fire out of one manifold collector when they are split.

Thanks mike
Suppose you don't happen to have a more pics of the care manifolds? Different angles?
Have a extra manifold so I may have to find a pair of 305 manifolds and build me a pair

Nice lil exhaust system Mike !
Thank you J.D. It has been a good system :glasses7:

Actually, the firing order is 153624. But the reason it sounds like that is because it swaps back and forth between the to pairs of "3" each time it fires. So each manifold fires opposite the other. There's never a sequential fire out of one manifold collector when they are split.
Thank you Rob, Again your are correct on the way they fire back and forth, like you said :thumblef: front manifold the rear and so on. I had to many things on my mind :eek:ops:

I like the way it sounds. Some nice engineering.
Thank you, waggin did a great job :thumblef:

Thanks mike
Suppose you don't happen to have a more pics of the care manifolds? Different angles?
Have a extra manifold so I may have to find a pair of 305 manifolds and build me a pair

Here is all I have and the first picture is the set that krazykuda has now I believe , the last picture is me showing how I used a 1/4 extension and a metal mirror to put that last hard to washer and nut on.

I do have an exhaust manifold but I am saving it, I see members here have them for sale allot here. I hope these help, and as you can see getting them to aim the way you want them should be easy, I wanted mine close to the intake and waggin fixed me up, aiming them down a bit would be a bit better, and make one about 1 1/2'' longer so the flange connectors don't hit each other.

Attachments

• 1976%20Plymouth%20Volor'E%20EBAY%201%20021.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 445
  • Speep 061.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 507
  • JEEP FRESH AIR 1993 4.0 134.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 495
  • JEEP FRESH AIR 1993 4.0 105.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 476
  • duals.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 529
  • EXHAUST%202010%20001.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 470
I always wondered why you had the pic of them on the grill. With the smoke goin now I know. You were bakin the paint on. Smart boy.

Pictures for all the members I got pm's from asking how this was dun :glasses7:

I agree that going to a 2 1/4 down pipe is all I really need at this time, but I am now ready for a bigger shaved head and let it breath a bit better and not conflict back back pressure so close to the head .. Just me :thumblef:

I'm waiting till Waggin gets some time from his other projects to finish up my set. plus the fact that I'm just now getting to the engine work helps. I do like the way you made them feed into the single(is the single 2,2 1/4 or 2 1/2? ). I'll have to ask the muffler guy to set me up similar. I thinking I might go 2.25 dual to 2 1/2 single to that, but with a header type flange near the join so I can swap in either one of the motors I'm working on (turbo or non turbo.)

Wow Mike, that's terrific! :-D

I was surprised to learn it was Bruce's too. Even finding out after it was already out of my hands didn't make it any less special though. I'm honored to know I helped a little bit in letting a small part of his legacy live on. :prayer: RIP Bruce ...

-
Back