i just bought i vintage sled, is it made by Chrysler?

-

68valiant400

Reaction score
I just bought i vintage sled, is it made by Chrysler or at least the motor?it says Chrysler on my manual and in a few other places, it's a 1976 scorpion range whip

just wondering i know there some snowmobiliers on here

thanks

b2eb_19.jpg

GOOD QUESTION, I know back in the 60's and 70's chrysler made some pretty strong fiberglass sailboats, but i didnt know know about the sleds!!!!! Walt

Go to " sledder als vintage skidoo" site. You will get your answer. I have a vintage sled also. '73 Ski-doo Silver Bullet. Yep, it's a 340. I've had it for about 15 years, just sitting beside my garage. A "someday" restoration project.

139_3951 (Small).JPG

Ya I remember those Bullits, got my start as a teenager working a sled shop in Alberta. They were quick especially the 440's but a really high center of gravity. I thought the Scorpion was it's own company or affiliated with Rupp or maybe it had a Rupp engine. That was a long time ago.

Terry

Can I jump in here and ask a question?
If I remember I putted around on a Northway 440 as a young man.
I was very carefull and did not go fast "first time" It was the fastest snowmobile around town. Is there such a snowmobile.
it would have been around 1972.

I was very carefull and did not go fast "first time" It was the fastest snowmobile around town. Is there such a snowmobile.

Are you sure it was a Northway because I had a 1971 Arctic Cat 440 EXT and it was pretty quick. I raced a guy with a 440 Speedway and it was even faster. One of the quickest sleds around in 1972.

Back in the eraly 70's, there were hundreds of manufacturers. Everyone had a sled for sale. Scorpions were not part of the Rupp family, and I believe the early ones had FMC, or Mercury engines. I had a Scorpion Lil whip years ago. I think it was a 300cc. It was light green, and resembled a 69 Ski-doo Olympic.

Are you sure it was a Northway because I had a 1971 Arctic Cat 440 EXT and it was pretty quick. I raced a guy with a 440 Speedway and it was even faster. One of the quickest sleds around in 1972.
Not sure about the name But I am sure of the 440.
My mom and I was driving down hwy 51 in Illinois and he flew by us like we was standing still. We was doing at lest 55 mph.

Mine needs some carb work,but I plow snow, and miss out on the sledding. This is scary, I had a Kawi triple about 30 yrs ago. Came down #2 side road at 80 mph, and went into a wobble. Luckily it took me into the ditch, and the ditch straightened me out. Can't believe I actually made it to my 18th B.D.

Go to " sledder als vintage skidoo" site. You will get your answer. I have a vintage sled also. '73 Ski-doo Silver Bullet. Yep, it's a 340. I've had it for about 15 years, just sitting beside my garage. A "someday" restoration project.

I love vintage stuff so simple and easy to work on, i'am looking at buying a 1973 kawasaki 750 triple 2 stroke bike also known as the widow maker, fast bike. Bill I think we might have to get the 2 stroke oil out and go for a ride on our old school sleds, what condition is yours in? is it running?

aba5_20.jpg

i used to snow plow but said forget it this year, i wanted to spend time with my Daughter and my boy is due feb 9th so she needed me home, only problem is IAM SO BORED and cant wait to get back to landscaping this summer. I have so many designs to finish first tho, but i cant wait for snow to go out on sled, it also needs carb work and good overhaul but for a 76 its in great shape just missing windshield.

Northway was a snowmobiler maker in Canada, my parents had a 1971. I dont recall chrysler making motors for Scropion .

I belive Rupp was a stand alone company. But did not Chrysler build a snow scooter that looked like a mini bike with a track on the back and a ski on the front?

Yup Mike, Northway's were built in Quebec and were supposed to be pretty fast. Back in those days they used to pack some pretty serious horsepower into very lite sleds.

Terry

The scooter was called a Sno Runner, only made from about 1979 - 1981. I've got one (see pic) - maybe someday I'll uncrate it.

snorun1.jpg

There's always a few on ebay, search for "sno runner" or "snorunner".

Videos on youtube too.

I love vintage stuff so simple and easy to work on, i'am looking at buying a 1973 Kawasaki 750 triple 2 stroke bike also known as the widow maker, fast bike. Bill I think we might have to get the 2 stroke oil out and go for a ride on our old school sleds, what condition is yours in? is it running?

Wow, a flood of memories... I had a 72 500 triple, 3/4 Rickman fairing, drop racing bars, expansion chambers, K&N filters, 750 clutch springs, bored out, tuned carbs, there wasn,t a 750 of any brand other than a Kawasaki that could touch it, used to just play with the boys in there hot rods. It was scary as hell in the corners but in a straight line, wow. Used to have to tighten everything down after a run North Bay to Sudbury, man it used to vibrate but what fun. Not to many of those left, most guys crashed them, widow makers for sure. If I could still ride I would be kicking myself for
trading that thing in on a new 750 in 1981 but as it turns I crashed that bike hard and lost my left wing. I took a few pictures of posters of me on the bike, one is from drag racing somewhere in Quebec and the other is a burn out after I had re built it, custom paint and all, thanks for the memories....

2008_01210002.jpg

2008_01210004.jpg

2008_01210005.jpg

Yup Mike, Northway's were built in Quebec and were supposed to be pretty fast. Back in those days they used to pack some pretty serious horsepower into very lite sleds.

Terry
Thanks demon seed.
I am glad that my gray mater did not give up on me.:thumbrig:
When apple season was dune in Mich. I would stay in a little town called
Paw Paw Ill, and a hot rod guy there had one, He took me for my first blast on
a snowmobile, and I will never forget the ride , Now I am sure I remember what the fast ride was on.:angel4:

Its so interesting how we all seem to appreciate these old pieces history, cars sleds, bikes. I guess I now can admit that I have been hanging on to a Sears rotor tiller from the 1950,s, I hope to restore it one day, probably when I am retired is that sick or am I OK???:happy5:

The scorpions had Hirth and Sachs motors in the mid to later 60's. In the 70's they used CCW, and I think JLO. I believe they used Cayuna(sp?) just before they closed up shop. I didn't think they ever used Chrysler, at least that I can remember, but I'm old.

Mike, I seem to recall that there was both a Northway, and a Speedway. I think the Speedway had those cool butterfly handlebars, and was a 440.

My 1st sled was a 1967 10 horse Ski-Doo Oly, that I bought with my paper delivery money. I paid $295 for it in 1971. 1st of many. I have a Ski-Doo Mach 1, and a Yamaha Phazer now, and can't wait for winter to get over.:thumbrig: Tim

-
Back