I Just can't leave **** alone. :-)

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Ok, the latest fiasco involves some major changes to the rear lighting.
I always wanted more visible than stock lighting in the back and tried a few different options including replacing my backup lenses with normal tail/brake/turn lenses and using all four as Tail/brake/turn, and sacrificing backup lights.
I have decided to put the backup lights back in service, but with modifications (of course) and only use the two outer lenses like stock.
Of course there are bulbs of all kinds, and I like the LED options for their lack of power drain on the electrical system and switches.
I tried a lot of different bulbs and combinations, working both with and around the angled sockets in the housing and just never liked the results.
I have used normal plug in LED replacements, plug in's modified, as well as a couple of different types of strip lights
Then there is the part where the OE lenses were far from perfect and not uniform in color but useable.
So I used the good part of them (the surrounding housing only with the red lens trimmed out.
These are 32 ultra bright red LED's on a diamond pattern red reflector background.
There are two panels of Lexan (one with the red LED's through it from the inside side of the lens) and then the front tinted cover.
I use stainless allen head machine screws for attaching hardware with a small stainless washer and a neoprene washer between that and the outer glass/Lexan for moisture proofing.
These new lenses/lights are sealed from moisture but can easily be disassembled for repairs or cleaning.
Not too sure I like the red reflector backing, but it sure stands out when lights hit it. (like when parked)
Then there is the occasional glow from other light hitting them at different angles even if they are not on themselves, as can be seen in a couple of the pics.

The M (for Mopar of course) is the tail lights and when the brakes or signals are used the entire 32 LED's are active in each lens.
Next I'll do the same with the two inner lenses and make them back into backup lights, but with the same type design but with white light.
The last pic is the effects of the camera flash without any lights on at all.

Not really sure I like them, but we'll see if they grow on me or get changed yet again.:D

This is going to drive poor Dan nuts. :D

start.jpg

panel.jpg

reflector.jpg

ready.jpg

ready1.jpg

M.jpg

off.jpg

reflectorhue.jpg

Ok, the latest fiasco involves some major changes to the rear lighting.
I always wanted more visible than stock lighting in the back and tried a few different options including replacing my backup lenses with normal tail/brake/turn lenses and using all four as Tail/brake/turn, and sacrificing backup lights.
I have decided to put the backup lights back in service, but with modifications (of course) and only use the two outer lenses like stock.
Of course there are bulbs of all kinds, and I like the LED options for their lack of power drain on the electrical system and switches.
I tried a lot of different bulbs and combinations, working both with and around the angled sockets in the housing and just never liked the results.
I have used normal plug in LED replacements, plug in's modified, as well as a couple of different types of strip lights
Then there is the part where the OE lenses were far from perfect and not uniform in color but useable.
So I used the good part of them (the surrounding housing only with the red lens trimmed out.
These are 32 ultra bright red LED's on a diamond pattern red reflector background.
There are two panels of Lexan (one with the red LED's through it from the inside side of the lens) and then the front tinted cover.
I use stainless allen head machine screws for attaching hardware with a small stainless washer and a neoprene washer between that and the outer glass/Lexan for moisture proofing.
These new lenses/lights are sealed from moisture but can easily be disassembled for repairs or cleaning.
Not too sure I like the red reflector backing, but it sure stands out when lights hit it. (like when parked)
Then there is the occasional glow from other light hitting them at different angles even if they are not on themselves, as can be seen in a couple of the pics.

The M (for Mopar of course) is the tail lights and when the brakes or signals are used the entire 32 LED's are active in each lens.
Next I'll do the same with the two inner lenses and make them back into backup lights, but with the same type design but with white light.
The last pic is the effects of the camera flash without any lights on at all.

Not really sure I like them, but we'll see if they grow on me or get changed yet again.:D

This is going to drive poor Dan nuts. :D

View attachment 1715104108

View attachment 1715104110

View attachment 1715104112

View attachment 1715104113

View attachment 1715104115

View attachment 1715104119

View attachment 1715104120

View attachment 1715104121

I like that reflectorized sticker idea.

Where did you get those red/white reflector stickers? I like that idea, I may wannt hrow that in my tail light housings...

I like that reflectorized sticker idea.

Where did you get those red/white reflector stickers? I like that idea, I may wannt hrow that in my tail light housings...

I got them from Home Depot in the tool section with the safety tapes and things like that.
Of course those had to be the most expensive dang ones there are, but I liked the diamond pattern enough to pay 10 bucks plus tax for 4 stickers than I only needed 1/3 of two of them.:D
I don't think they would work in a curved housing surface though, as they are fairly stiff.
Sticky as hell on the backing, but still.

You should have made it a G not an M.

jes sayin.

Bumper humper. That's a good one.

It works too apparently, because I notice people rolling up and stop suddenly.
That was my second choice actually, because this is what I really wanted to say.:D
Ya know how people wander around Walmart talking on their phones and being in everyone's way and then suddenly walk right in front of you with no warning at all?
That's how they drive here, no signals or nothing.
They don't enforce signals, tailgating or stopping at a red light before turning right around here.
All the road sign might as well be yield sign here, and they ignore the hell out of those as well.
Ever go through a busy round about where nobody yields when they are supposed to?

tires.jpg

Last edited:
How about "F" on the driver's side and.......

TB if I live long enough, mine will get some sort of low profile "light bar" setup IN THE REAR WINDOW. Studies have shown that higher mounted lamps AT LEAST stop lights........reduce rear enders

My wife has a bumper sticker on her old jeep that says:
If you are going to ride my ***, at least pull my hair.

Nice work TB. What about using D and T for the outer lights, then A and R for the inners when the brake lights are activated ?

Either way, it looks good. Dare to be different!! :)

Thank you.
Some letters don't lend themselves to having squared corners or there would be lots of possibilities.

Maybe on the left side "GH and on the right "EY".

LMAO!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Maybe on the left side "GH and on the right "EY".

LMAO!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Figures you would come up with that.:D
One of the other Mopar guys around here asked if I finished my Revlon Red paint yet.
Actually those tail lights are just a bit on the eccentric side for my taste, but they work well so I'll leave them for awhile and see if they grow on me or not.
Who knows, they could be totally different next month.

-
Back