I just intalled new door handles and I need help

-

JohnnyJet

Reaction score
I just installed new exterior door handles on my 73 duster and they look great but now the doors dont lock. It has something to do with the connectiing rod shifting the lock mechanism in the door. Anyone else have a similar problem or solution. Thanks

I just replaced the handles on my 72 which should be the same. I only had to unhook one piece of linkage. went back together the same way. I used some repo handles and had to switch a piece of linkage on the door handle with a piece of the originals. Maybe thats it.

I did the same thing with the upper piece of linkage but it threw off the entire lock set in the door, only about a 1/4 inch or less but the doors wont lock now. They close fine but just dont lock. Which I guess Ill live with cause I never take the car to the mall anyway

I installed new door handles and and lock cylinders and the doors open fine but wont lock. If you use the key to try to lock/unlock it seems that the linkage only moves 1/2 way, same thing if using the push-pull knob. Has anyone figured out a fix for this?

Did you knock the rod off of the lock mechanism. The two are not connected there is a pivot point on the door for the locks you might could adjust or the new handles were just off on the connection

All the linkage is connected correctly, seems like the throw from the lock cylinders is to short, its the same on both sides. guess i will try disconnecting the cylinders and see if it locks normally without them hooked up. Just a pain in the butt when new parts dont work!

Sometimes you need to tweak the rods to get it to work, double check the rods that they are oriented correctly. Make sure the rods are not flexing, or hanging up against one another or anything else. I have had to take aftermarket cylinders and swap out the actuating tab back to the original one because they were incorrect.

Sometimes you need to tweak the rods to get it to work, double check the rods that they are oriented correctly. Make sure the rods are not flexing, or hanging up against one another or anything else. I have had to take aftermarket cylinders and swap out the actuating tab back to the original one because they were incorrect.
Thanks, ya i had to change over the tabs when i was installing the new ones. I thought all was well as the push-pull knob seemed to be working up and down fine, but i never thought to check the operation with the key before buttoning up the doors. That will teach me! If I remember correctly you should be able to lock the door with the knob and hold the door button in while closing the door and it should stay locked?

There's a small hole in the jamb side of the door where one can poke a allen wrench / hex key and adjust that linkage rod length. This effects how far in we need to push the button to get the door to open but... I would speculate that some small difference happened or maybe this has been adjusted before due to worn button mechanisms. I would attempt to adjust there before pulling the interior door panel again, especially where the slightest button movement now activates the latch.

If I remember correctly you should be able to lock the door with the knob and hold the door button in while closing the door and it should stay locked?

Never had to hold the button in. Sometimes you just have to get a light and your face in there to see whats going on. Sometimes if the rod going from handle to latch is carrying tension or pressure it wont allow the lock to work. Packing the latch with lithium grease creating more resistance. Sloppy latch. Sloppy clips. Tossing stuff out as I think about it.

Thanks guys for the ideas, i`ll poke around in there and see whats going on. I`ll take a look for that allen key adjustment, i didnt know that was there. I`m figuring it has to have something to do with the new lock cylinders as both door locks act exactly the same way.

That adjustment is exterior door handle linkage, not lock cylinder. And I forget exactly how that adjusts. My memory fails. It might be just loosen the screw so to let the linkage settle, springs do what they do, and tighten again. Not much angle up/down adjust would happen through a small round hole anyway.
You might find better info in a service manual. Good luck

That adjustment is exterior door handle linkage, not lock cylinder. And I forget exactly how that adjusts. My memory fails. It might be just loosen the screw so to let the linkage settle, springs do what they do, and tighten again. Not much angle up/down adjust would happen through a small round hole anyway.
You might find better info in a service manual. Good luck
Thanks, I checked the service manual but it`s pretty vague at best :)

Go through small round hole in door,loosen small allen head bolt. Pain in the ***, mine had same problem,after installation of new locks/handles. After I loosened the allen bolt,mine kinda slid over, and solved itself.

-
Back