I just scored

-

HotLines

Realist - Free Thinker
Reaction score
To start the new year off on the right foot I saw a 72 dodge van 8 3/4 rear for sale on Craigslist for $125., called this morning and said, sight unseen drop it off at my house and I'll give you 150, he said 140 and 20 minutes later he was here with it. Its got a 489 case and feels real good as it turns freely. He left the brake cables uncut, even gave me the u-bolts and fittings. A guy called him last night and said he wanted to view it today but I called this early this morning as he was removing it from the van and made the deal as the other guy hadn't shown up, yet when he was leaving for my place, the guy calls and the owner said it was already sold.and the other buyer kept asking him questions of where he was delivering it because he knew it was me as there are few Mopar persons here in this valley.

I am stoked as this was just the case I needed as mine is a 741 3:55 sure-grip, $140. what a score :)

Good deal. Way to start off the new year! Is it the right width you need or are you going to narrow it?

Yeah i'm curious to. Did u buy it for the 3rd member only? Did you know th ratio or if it was a syre grip? Lastly, whats wrong with the 7:41 SG?

...........Good score.................most ppl believe the 741 r weak...........just remember the 741 was all they had in the early sixties behind the mighty MAX WEDGE and HEMI.............kim..........

You got me wondering about the ratio too. Last van rear I saw had 3.91s in it. Had a massive amount of play in it & was already spoken for but I still would've grabbed it if I could've.

Lets look at reason for a second, the 741 is the weakest link no matter what one thinks, the 742 is what persons actually use and the 489 with a 742 sure-grip is the Preakness

741 has a 1 3/8 inch pinion
742 a 1 3/4 inch pinion
489 a 1 7/8 inch tapered pinion

Up the road I have gone through 5 or 6 741's in my Signet as well as 4 engines and its time for a change as I will run the 489 case.

I am under the understanding that it would be smarter to use the B body rear with Mustang 17's and would run rear discs as well. At this time I am totally not sure what exactly I will do or what gearing as my A body rear has the big bolt pattern axles in it now but forgot if I had different axles or if I drilled them out as its been 25 years since I put that rear in the Signet.

Middle of this month after I finish my LT4 - T56 chebby truck, I'll make a decision of what I will use as I get to re-educate myself in the Mopar world. I made a mistake a long time ago when I listened to persons telling me to use a 727 against my modified small blocks when I should have run a 904 as cutting up the car made no difference at the time and still doesn't. I am no trend follower and will only do whats strongest and the most trouble free. I thought about pro touring with the Signet many years back but for some reason other then the fact I had to make every part which was needed, I just left well enough alone yet run all the correct parts, shocks, stance etc. These days are different but as the car gets older and other drivers become a nuisance on the road as well as the gasoline I find myself wanting to just use it around home and not for long trips so that is why I been building this chebby truck which I will finish by the end of this month.

-
Back