I love Hylomar!!

-
Or better yet a 5-speed
If you're gonna poke in a grinder, then why not the 5? Although, even the Direct Connection "blue bible" discouraged that swap due to the challenges of getting the right parts, angles correct, and all that. We can dream, right?!

Speaking of Rob, anymore work on the "Robcat" or is that long gone?

That one got sold a while back. Someone saw pictures of it on my Facebook page and offered me a stupid amount of money for the roller. ...and actually came and got it.

If you're gonna poke in a grinder, then why not the 5? Although, even the Direct Connection "blue bible" discouraged that swap due to the challenges of getting the right parts, angles correct, and all that. We can dream, right?!
Anything is possible if you throw enough money$ at it. Maybe

A little Hylomar goes a long way. Spread a small bead and then smear it out with your finger. Let it sit for about 10 min. to let the solvents evaporate and bolt together.

I used it once on a chevy 406, and wasnt impressed with it at all-----??

We used hylomar on Harleys forever but the yamabond motorcycle case sealer is what really did the trick.

The silicone transmission pan gaskets with the torque limiting grommets and a milled cast aluminum pan (aluminum, not Chinesium) have been rock solid for me.

I have wondered if omitting the gasket entirely and using the atf-rtv with a cast aluminum pan like late models would work.

We used hylomar on Harleys forever but the yamabond motorcycle case sealer is what really did the trick.

The silicone transmission pan gaskets with the torque limiting grommets and a milled cast aluminum pan (aluminum, not Chinesium) have been rock solid for me.

I have wondered if omitting the gasket entirely and using the atf-rtv with a cast aluminum pan like late models would work.

agree on the yamabond

Back in the day, late 80s we would use mopar ultra black RTV on pan gaskets at the dealership and nothing else. Make a bead and run it around all the bolt holes. Let it tack up, then tighten it up. Never had a leaker.

Yeah, about 8.3 pound feet.
I was joking....
A buddy of mine went through two sets of wheel bearings because he torqued them to FOOT lbs rather than inch lbs. I never put a torque wrench on mine...I tighten, spin, feel for drag and free play and button it up when it feels right.

Reading about all these leaking oil pans....the wonder sealant Hylomar....makes me happy that I have used simple, cheap, reliable silicon [ on it's own ] for decades....& get no leaks.

Reading about all these leaking oil pans....the wonder sealant Hylomar....makes me happy that I have used simple, cheap, reliable silicon [ on it's own ] for decades....& get no leaks.

Yup. That's its intended purpose. To BE the gasket. That's why it's called "Form a Gasket". lol It works good.....just takes a lot to do it that way. But it sure as heck will never leak if you do it right.

Clutchflite? :p

I had one a long time ago. It was the B&M version on a 727. I found it of all places in a local junkyard for 50 bucks and sold it a few months later at a swap meet for 300. I thought I hit the jackpot. This was about 1985. lol

The nice thing about Hylomar is that it doesn't ever harden. You can reposition the gasket or remove the pan without damaging the gasket.

-
Back