I Love My New 10,000 RPM Drive!

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
10K RPM SATA 150 gig hard drive that is, lol. I just cloned my old drive to it and this thing rips. :) I may buy another and have two in a Raid 0 configuration, but back it up once a week. :read2:

I am a sick, sick man. I even hot rod my computers. I think I need help. In the words of Tim the Tool Man, "More Power!".

Power on there my man power on! With this quest broadband these days, it only seems a touch faster than dial up used to be! LOL

How's the root canal coming along Joe? I had one done last year then they put a crown over it! I was so worried, but in reality it wasn't bad!

I believe the age of the spinning hard drive will be coming to a close in the not so distant future. Solid State Drives (SSDs) are inching forward and as soon as the big manufacturers switch to them it's game over for disk platters and read heads.

Gotta love those Raptors ramcharger..

I hear ya redness, but at least when a 2TB drive fails, usually a swapped circuit board will get ya access to the data.. and let me tell you - no one backs theirs up..

When it comes to backups, there's two types of people - those that backup regularly, and those that will..

Grant

Power on there my man power on! With this quest broadband these days, it only seems a touch faster than dial up used to be! LOL

How's the root canal coming along Joe? I had one done last year then they put a crown over it! I was so worried, but in reality it wasn't bad!

It's much, much better today. I can feel it, as though there is pressure on my jaw, but it's very manageable. I'm assuming that it will eventually go away... :)

Have ya checked out the new "Binford" drives?:toothy10:

I'm sure Tim would have it spinning at 20k in no time, lol!

I believe the age of the spinning hard drive will be coming to a close in the not so distant future. Solid State Drives (SSDs) are inching forward and as soon as the big manufacturers switch to them it's game over for disk platters and read heads.

I came very close to getting one, but they quite expensive and have a limited life span for now. I have an old IDE Seagate 1 gig drive that still works. I can't use it for anything but I still have it, lol. I'll probably trash it sooner than later.

Once the technology and price per gig catch up, plus when they become SATA 3.0 compatible, I'll try one out. I'd really need to get a new motherboard too to fully exploit the cabability of these SSDs too.

Gotta love those Raptors ramcharger..

I hear ya redness, but at least when a 2TB drive fails, usually a swapped circuit board will get ya access to the data.. and let me tell you - no one backs theirs up..

When it comes to backups, there's two types of people - those that backup regularly, and those that will..

Grant
Yeah man, this Raptor rocks! This is the newer generation and it runs quiet and cool and has a massive heat sink on it.

In regards to back ups, I lost a drive once about 8 years ago. I forgot what a major pain it was to install windows and have to explain to MS, that no, I wasn't trying to rip them off, then reload all my software, etc. It took about a week till I was close to where I started from.

I have a 1.5 terrabyte drive and almost every machine I have has an externally availible drive bay. Once a week I slap the 1.5 t drive in, pop in the Acronis Perfect Image disk and image every machines hard drive. I can even just pop the drive in my server and access it from any machine via the network with Acronis. The drive then ends up in my small fireproof safe so I could rebuild from scratch if I had too.

See Ramcharger, you learned the lesson well :)

Best one yet was maybe five years ago. A guy comes in the store needing a new 3.5" floppy disk drive. He was ecstatic that we still sold them, plunked down his $12 and went merrily along his way. Next day he shows up, and angrily informs us that the drive doesn't work. We hooked her up, popped in a blank disk and copied a file onto it - no problem. He went home and grabbed his disk and brought it in for us to try. It did not read at all, typical Not Formatted message. I explained to him that over time a floppy disk drive will fall out of alignment, causing the 0 point to be off and the index created from formatting to occur in a slightly different position, meaning it would not be readable in the new drive.

That's when he informed me that the disk contained a novel that he had been working on for 6 YEARS! And he did not have a copy ANYWHERE but that disk!

Grant

See Ramcharger, you learned the lesson well :)

Best one yet was maybe five years ago. A guy comes in the store needing a new 3.5" floppy disk drive. He was ecstatic that we still sold them, plunked down his $12 and went merrily along his way. Next day he shows up, and angrily informs us that the drive doesn't work. We hooked her up, popped in a blank disk and copied a file onto it - no problem. He went home and grabbed his disk and brought it in for us to try. It did not read at all, typical Not Formatted message. I explained to him that over time a floppy disk drive will fall out of alignment, causing the 0 point to be off and the index created from formatting to occur in a slightly different position, meaning it would not be readable in the new drive.

That's when he informed me that the disk contained a novel that he had been working on for 6 YEARS! And he did not have a copy ANYWHERE but that disk!

Grant

Oh man, that poor guy. I've had floppies just plain wear out on in 5 years, nevermind 6.

Yeah I've learned. I've also learned (back in the day) that the recover disk may not have the specific CD or NIC card drivers you need to restore the HD on a specific machine (I remember having to load DOS and the drivers before I could restore windows) or that it may not be able to resize partitions to larger or smaller drive regardless of the amount of data. Gparted is my friend. :) . It always pays to emulate a disaster. :read2: Another problem comes from backing up images on a drive formatted as an extended partition, it must be a primary partition or many recover cloning and imaging utilities can't see the HD.

Aren't computers fun? :toothy10:

-
Back