I love my ThermoQuads, but one of them has a problem

-
In my TQ travels, I too, have been looking for the magic glue or epoxy for those wells. A few years ago somebody recommended Devcon Plastic Welder, Part no 14300. I bought some at our local Grainger store. I never got around to trying it and I see that it expired in 2012. It comes in a little 2 tube syringe that gets mixed after you squeeze it out. I just bought some Seal-All, to see if it works. I do remember that the Devcon was a little pricy, but if it would work it would be worth it.

Here's where I'm at on my TQ. It's a 6461S (has the large 1-3/8" primary bores) that I'm using on a fairly hot 360. The primary well extensions had fallen off again. They were glued on with JB Weld plastic epoxy last August, and I think they began to fail pretty soon afterward. JB weld just doesn't work (I think the ethanol must attack it?), so don't waste your time!

Thanks, Rusty, for recommending Seal All. I'll try to find some (unfortunately I don't think Home Despot sells it, though). Some other TQ hotshots are recommending Miller Stephenson's MS 907 epoxy, saying it is really the bee's knees and the "only" thing to use (can provide links if anybody wants them). I sent Miller Stephenson an inquiry begging them to sell me some because I couldn't find a distributor, but they have yet to respond. I think maybe they don't sell to individuals and/or have a large minimum order, but I'm not sure.

Would anybody know of any plastic epoxy that will stand up to ethanol, and that you can either buy at, or order through, Home Despot?

So I had better learn to work on TQs! (I've already learned that when your idle goes to hell, you start smelling gas and the idle adjustment screws don't do anything, it is probably because the TQ is dumping way too much fuel into the engine, and maybe you'd better check into it!)

I ordered a pair of brass floats and "O" rings from Walker Products. I'm pretty sure that Walker is shipping the latest, up-to-date version of the "O" rings. I have the carb disassembled and my big-assed old van is sitting in my shop, taking up room, while I wait for parts. Walker still sells all the TQ parts (they're out of stock on the fuel well extensions, though), but they've stopped selling complete kits themselves and have RustyRatRod's employer sell them instead. That's convenient for me because I always go to O'Reilly's anyway. (Did I mention that I play the O'Reilly's theme song over and over because then I can't hear those irritating voices?)

It sure would be nice if I could learn to assemble a good TQ! Having a mechanic do it is getting to be ridiculous ($). It doesn't really look that complicated (famous last words); I am watching all the rockysroadshow rebuild videos on youtube; and I'll be happy if the damned thing just works decently and doesn't leak.

My JB Weld is in the trash. I have used Devcon Plastic steel epoxy on Q-jets and TQ before without problems. It claims resistant to gasoline.

http://www.itwconsumer.com/userfiles/files/techdata-sheet/DV Tech Data/52345 TDS.pdf

Here is the other you mentioned. But I have not used it.

MS-907 Two-Part Epoxy Adhesive Kit | Epoxy Kit | Miller-Stephenson

Last edited:
Using a little Seal All on both sides of primary the "O"-ring seals?:
Using a little dielectric grease on both of the gaskets?:
Good Ideas or Bad Ideas??

When converting from the stock nitrophyl floats to brass floats, and when the float drop seems to be set correctly, the brass float is hitting the gasket. Is it OK to cut the gasket back a little bit?

O-rings as they come, nothing else. Never used anything on the gaskets. I can't remember cutting the gaskets. Are you following the directions that came with the new brass floats? Looks like the made them backwards, then came up with a different way to measure to make up for it.

The TQ seems to be running well so far!

I guess only time will tell whether the Seal All continues to hold. I've got my fingers crossed.

As Eric O. says on South Main Auto, "If I can do it, you can do it!"

-
Back