I love plowing snow!

-

ILLDuster74

Reaction score
We got about 8 inches of snow today here in N IL so around 4pm, I fired up the old plow truck and did the drive way. I plow my driveway and the old guys next doors two driveways. I also swipe out the neighbor across the streets drive way to get rid of the plow mess. Well i decided to cruise around town and see if anybody needed any help. I drive around and nobody is really out shoveling, every body has a snowblower. Only person is a guy down the street shoveling, I offer to do his driveway, for free of course but he tells me he likes the excercise. OK I tell him, if he wants help just let me know.

Well I decided to plow the street, up and down a few times and bury a couple of signs. Man I love having a plow. I think tomorrow i'll make the kids a big hill to sled down the street on.

I got a old 91 RamCharger with a plow on it, I got ready today because snow is coming our way, But I hate plowing/shoveling snow...Its a waste of time.

Freaken snow is too much work, wish it was rain, lol

We are lucking out again here near Detroit, got about an inch and maybe 1 more to come, then its hello mid 40's on Monday--hope it all melts away soon

We got about 8 inches of snow today here in N IL so around 4pm, I fired up the old plow truck and did the drive way. I plow my driveway and the old guys next doors two driveways. I also swipe out the neighbor across the streets drive way to get rid of the plow mess. Well i decided to cruise around town and see if anybody needed any help. I drive around and nobody is really out shoveling, every body has a snowblower. Only person is a guy down the street shoveling, I offer to do his driveway, for free of course but he tells me he likes the excercise. OK I tell him, if he wants help just let me know.

Well I decided to plow the street, up and down a few times and bury a couple of signs. Man I love having a plow. I think tomorrow i'll make the kids a big hill to sled down the street on.

Go for it...good for you ! We got about 1/4 - 1/2 inch on top of a bit of freezing rain here in CU. We've been spoiled so far this winter, only problem is replentishing the ground water. BUT, it HAS been easy so far.
Best regards.

we got hammered in southern Wi. I have a john deere 318 with a 49" blower in it and it is awesome! I did 8 driveways(average size) in about 45 minutes. all the guys with the two stages takes them forever! no pics with the blower on it, need a cab for it though! later, Jared

Attachments

• john deere 318 001 (Small) (3).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 497
my little plow truck.....

Attachments

• 612656n_20.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 483
  • Ford Ranger 005.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 496
we got hammered in southern Wi. I have a john deere 318 with a 49" blower in it and it is awesome! I did 8 driveways(average size) in about 45 minutes. all the guys with the two stages takes them forever! no pics with the blower on it, need a cab for it though! later, Jared

I didn't know that John Deere used 318's. Wow what a coincidence. do they have a 340 upgrade???

How about a hemi but you might want to save it for the bigger snowstorms

Attachments

• hemi%2520snow%2520blower.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 460
One of my old rides.

Attachments

• bw with oskosh small.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 419
The short story is the Ranger in the rear carport is STILL not fixed, and the
Cletrac was "landlocked" in front of it. But I got permission from my
neighbor (the one who finally cut down all the dangerous dead trees) to
allow me to ferry it out through his back yard So here it sits in the
FRONT yard for the time bein' The forecast for the week is bizzare,
periods of snowing, melting, freezing. This COULD turn into another ice
storm year, and Seattle has already "had some" of that.

The Toyotrac / Cleota parked in front. (Toyota 20R engine/ 4 speed, old Massey sheet metal)

w6ru40.jpg

Formerly known as "Landlocked"

16hq2q9.jpg

Homebuilt carport, "not quite long enough." We had wind, snow blew in. I intended to sheet in the sides at least 3' down from the top, and didn't yet do so

vcuclz.jpg

35l6hat.jpg

qn7dqc.jpg

u4olx.jpg

I had earlier hung my old old Meyer blade onto the little Farmall. It came in handy, afterall

2ahh6vp.jpg

From one ham to another, sweet tower! Looks like a 2m vertical, an 9 element (?) 2m horizontally opposed yagi for SSB work and a very nice mutli-band HF yagi.

Attachments

• 35l6hat.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 504
From one ham to another, sweet tower! Looks like a 2m vertical, an 9 element (?) 2m horizontally opposed yagi for SSB work and a very nice mutli-band HF yagi.

The stick is a cheap (forgot name) 2M/ 440 dual band antenna

Top beam is a fairly expensive Cushcraft 6M beam, but it has swr problems 6 elements on 6

Bottom beam was free for the taking, sad story. The owner had got killed near Spokane, working on some other tower, which turned out to be NOT PROPERLY ANCHORED. It's a big 'ol Wilson "System One." I thing the boom is 26 ft. It's a pretty big beam, 4 elements on 20/ 15, and 5 on 10M

All this rides on a home made "hazer" cage which wraps around the tower and can be winched up or down. So I can get most of it down to roof level You can get an idea of the hazer the mast and rotator are on brackets on the outside of the hazer, on the right side. Also on the hazer lower, is two UHF TV corner reflectors, pointed off to a translater site

That tower is a good example of what you can do on the cheap. The tower sections came from three separate used towers, the hazer winch was a garage sale cast iron geared winch for 25 bucks, I got a good deal on a used rotator the HF beam was sorta free, and the 6m beam was 75 bucks. I even scored some big rubber covered cable for rotator control cable from a garage sale cheap, and had some heliax from other commerciall upgrade projects.

The hazor itself, I bought the "wrap around" pieces from Hazer, and made the rest out of angle and strap iron. If I could still climb (arthritis) I would not have built it.

One guy goes over the house into the front, used to be a tree. So to raise it, I use the winch with a steel "rub plate" on the roof peak, and use the front guy to tilt it up. The house becomes a "gin pole."

Sad story is, the sunspot cycle hasn't been all that impressive.

I did stumble in one night to find Christmas Island on 10m Worked him first call barefoot. Radio is normally a Yaesu MK-V "Field", AL-80B amp, single 3-500Z

For 6 and maybe 2 SSB I have an Icom 706MKII (not a G)

6ycmy1.jpg

Here's a drawing of the model Hazer I built. I bought the 6 pieces that wrap around the tower, and built the rest myself As I recall, the six pieces I bought were less than 60 bucks with shipping at the time. A complete Hazer is around 500 bucks I believe.

H5-6BING.gif

After a good snow I plow my driveway, the neighbors and drive around a bit myself looking for people that would like some help. I really enjoy plowing snow as well. All those years of shoveling have made me appreciate sitting in a truck with a good heater, listening to good tunes moving a little joystick around to move tons of snow.

Attachments

• Plow Truck.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 347
All those years of shoveling have made me appreciate sitting in a truck with a good heater, listening to good tunes moving a little joystick around to move tons of snow.

Heater in my truck... Hmmm... Reminds me of a song I used to know...

This is not the version I knew, but it's close.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX6ggRByE8g&feature=related"]Rodeo Song with lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

I hope this doesn't offend anyone...

The stick is a cheap (forgot name) 2M/ 440 dual band antenna

Man, that sure looks like a Diamond. If it is, it's not cheap.

Top beam is a fairly expensive Cushcraft 6M beam, but it has swr problems 6 elements on 6

Just for shts and grns try disconnecting the vertical and see if your SWR problems are solved. I had my 2m/440 vertical mounted atop my 4 element 2m yagi on the same vertical mast and they reacted off each other, but I had a selector switch that grounded the unused antenna. once I moved them more than a wavelength apart horizontaly, the issues stopped....Just a thought is all.

Bottom beam was free for the taking, sad story. The owner had got killed near Spokane, working on some other tower, which turned out to be NOT PROPERLY ANCHORED. It's a big 'ol Wilson "System One." I thing the boom is 26 ft. It's a pretty big beam, 4 elements on 20/ 15, and 5 on 10M

Sorry to hear about this. Climbing freaks me out and I refuse to do it. I'll go on a rooftop but no tower climbing for me. 26'? Damn!

All this rides on a home made "hazer" cage which wraps around the tower and can be winched up or down. So I can get most of it down to roof level You can get an idea of the hazer the mast and rotator are on brackets on the outside of the hazer, on the right side. Also on the hazer lower, is two UHF TV corner reflectors, pointed off to a translater site

That tower is a good example of what you can do on the cheap. The tower sections came from three separate used towers, the hazer winch was a garage sale cast iron geared winch for 25 bucks, I got a good deal on a used rotator the HF beam was sorta free, and the 6m beam was 75 bucks. I even scored some big rubber covered cable for rotator control cable from a garage sale cheap, and had some heliax from other commerciall upgrade projects.

The hazor itself, I bought the "wrap around" pieces from Hazer, and made the rest out of angle and strap iron. If I could still climb (arthritis) I would not have built it.

One guy goes over the house into the front, used to be a tree. So to raise it, I use the winch with a steel "rub plate" on the roof peak, and use the front guy to tilt it up. The house becomes a "gin pole."

What a great solution! Me, being such a chicken, will need to get a tilt up telescoping tower and they are not cheap. Since I just moved, I'm still getting the garage sorted out then I'll get my vert and yagi up on seperate masts plus my G5RV. Since I'm still a tech, I only have a little slice of ten but I like to listen in while I work in the garage. I'd like to think that I'd have my General Class by spring.

Sad story is, the sunspot cycle hasn't been all that impressive.

I did stumble in one night to find Christmas Island on 10m Worked him first call barefoot. Radio is normally a Yaesu MK-V "Field", AL-80B amp, single 3-500Z

Man, I've been hearing the guys hear rave about the cycle, but I've been busy as hell buying a house and all. I've got an Icom 2800 in the work van and use my Icom 7000 for a base plus have a Yeasu FT60 HT. Tons of repeaters out here on the mountains and boy do they get out.

For 6 and maybe 2 SSB I have an Icom 706MKII (not a G)

6ycmy1.jpg

Here's a drawing of the model Hazer I built. I bought the 6 pieces that wrap around the tower, and built the rest myself As I recall, the six pieces I bought were less than 60 bucks with shipping at the time. A complete Hazer is around 500 bucks I believe.

H5-6BING.gif

I'll be stealing that hazer picture for future reference!

Sorry, couldn't resist! It has made it through 6 Durango CO. winters and just keeps trucking! Run what ya brung!

Attachments

• DSC01343.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 286
Sorry, couldn't resist! It has made it through 6 Durango CO. winters and just keeps trucking! Run what ya brung!

First time, years ago, saw an old Subie with a plow --had the plow lights mounted on the HOOD, I 'bout LMAO.

We get our share of winter here in SE Wi also. This year has not been too bad so far. One year ago was a different matter when we got 4 feet one day. A couple pictures of that mess attached.

I live on a small 30 acre farm with a 450 foot driveway to clean. Being up on a hill the wind blows drifts every which way. So I spend my fair time moving snow.

The picture inside my barn shows the open station 856 IH tractor that I use to move snow with using an eight foot wide blade on back. It can get a little cold on that tractor.

I work for a farm machinery company and they asked me to test a new machine one winter (small tractor with loader). That was very nice, but now has been sent back to engineering.

The last picture is of a IH 986 tractor that I just bought with a cab on it to use in the future for snow (that little cab tractor spoiled me!) I also bought a 7 foot wide snowblower for this new tractor in case we get another big storm like last year.

Ma Snart

Attachments

• DSC00426.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC00424.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC00423.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC01403.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC03588.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 277