I may have found a new A body

-

scott2683

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know I haven't been on in a while, I sold my duster back in the winter and its been killing me to get something new. I even called the guy and tried to buy it back. I ended up having to move for work, and I don't have a garage now, so its hard to keep an old car with no garage, and living in an apartment.

Anyways, I can store an old car at my dads through the winter, and keep it at my apartment this spring and summer. I found a 74 dart sport 80,000 original miles, numbers matching 360 matched to a 4 speed. It has a 8 1/4 sure grip with new 3.73 gears. Engine, transmission, and front end have all recently been rebuilt, new brakes and new paint. I think I can get into the car for $5500-$6000. I'll post some pics, you tell me what you guys think. I'm looking forward coming back to the A body team, every time I wear my FABO shirt people always ask me if I own a Mopar .... and I have to say no :(

I appreciate the help guys!

Here's some pics

Attachments

• DSCN2420.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 315
  • DSCN2426.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCN2432.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCN2424.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCN2436.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 309
look down the side if it waves at ya move along . look for signs of bad body work with newish paint we had a demon that looked that good years ago that was nothing bud bondo

I appreciate the advice, pics are so misleading ... its over 2 hours away, so I hope it looks just as good in person.

Ya pics dont tell the whole story lol . Take a paded magnet with you . Im sure you know where thay rust . make sure she aint full of bondo . The demon we had i hit with a slege hammer and the whole 1/4 fell off lmao .

Wow! thats crazy, I'll check it out really good. If its solid do you think the price is right?

Well is the price right . If i had the cash . and it was a clean car . I would say 5000 aint bad ive never been good at pricing things . Its really up to you what your willing to pay for it .

I suck at pricing them as well, that's why I ask opinions. I can come up with the money without it breaking the bank, but I don't want to be a sucker either.

Well I dont think 5000 is outta the ball park . if it was a 63 to 66 a body i would be alot more helpful lol

I would be completely lost on early A bodies. I haven't been pricing anything in a while, I feel like the prices fluctuate on cars so much, or maybe there are just more people out there asking crazy prices for their driver quality cars.

Well ya every thing gos up and down . but if this one dont work out . Check out some early As there good cars .

I'd drive an early A in a heart beat. a dart with a 273 would be a cool car to cruise town in! I think they have great body lines.

the body lines On them are why i love them ! Even a 4 door . ive never had a v8 . but even with the slanty my last one . did me just fine .

Indiana is still in the rust belt
a 74 is worth less then a 71
a 360 is worth more then a 225 but less then a 340
a 4 speed is worth more then a 727 which is worth more then a 904
a 8 1/4 is worth less then a 8 3/4 but more then a 7 1/4

considering all that, if the body is good, the frame rails are solid and the interior is nice then it might be a good price

the big question is...is this what you want?
or are there options missing that will need to be added on (and paid for) later?

the body lines On them are why i love them ! Even a 4 door . ive never had a v8 . but even with the slanty my last one . did me just fine .
The leaning tower of power is an awesome engine. I've had two 4 door mopars. Neither have been A bodies, but I respect all classic cars the same! Mobile time machines.
Indiana is still in the rust belt
a 74 is worth less then a 71
a 360 is worth more then a 225 but less then a 340
a 4 speed is worth more then a 727 which is worth more then a 904
a 8 1/4 is worth less then a 8 3/4 but more then a 7 1/4

considering all that, if the body is good, the frame rails are solid and the interior is nice then it might be a good price

the big question is...is this what you want?
or are there options missing that will need to be added on (and paid for) later?

The car is pretty much what I'm looking for. I don't think they made a 340 is 74, but I could be wrong. I'm more of a 70-72 fan, but I don't really mind the 73 and newer dart sports either. I know they aren't as desirable as pre 73 darts and dusters, but as far as having a classic cruiser to drive around town and take to cruise ins, I thought this would be a decent buy that I wouldn't lose money on if I decided to sell it. Honestly all I would do to the car is detail and buff it, put different wheels on it, and maybe put some rally stripes down the side, other than that ... it needs driven!

Being in the rust belt is one thing that does suck about living in Indiana. Finding an old car that is rust free is hard to do sometimes. I've been lucky a couple times, but its hard to find a good solid car. Pictures can lie, I've been fooled before. I'm hoping in person its solid as hell and doesn't have more waves than a school bus full of children.

My next day off work is thursday, so perhaps I'll make the 2.5 hour journey to go look at it. I better get some good music loaded up on the ipod.

The leaning tower of power is an awesome engine. I've had two 4 door mopars. Neither have been A bodies, but I respect all classic cars the same! Mobile time machines.

The car is pretty much what I'm looking for. I don't think they made a 340 is 74, but I could be wrong. I'm more of a 70-72 fan, but I don't really mind the 73 and newer dart sports either. I know they aren't as desirable as pre 73 darts and dusters, but as far as having a classic cruiser to drive around town and take to cruise ins, I thought this would be a decent buy that I wouldn't lose money on if I decided to sell it. Honestly all I would do to the car is detail and buff it, put different wheels on it, and maybe put some rally stripes down the side, other than that ... it needs driven!

Being in the rust belt is one thing that does suck about living in Indiana. Finding an old car that is rust free is hard to do sometimes. I've been lucky a couple times, but its hard to find a good solid car. Pictures can lie, I've been fooled before. I'm hoping in person its solid as hell and doesn't have more waves than a school bus full of children.

My next day off work is thursday, so perhaps I'll make the 2.5 hour journey to go look at it. I better get some good music loaded up on the ipod.
My 1st car and my only v8 car . sold her many years ago .

Attachments

• 25998100020_large.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 278
Ya but i should have put he didnt do the parting job lol Thats what he got her for . Last time we talked he sold her to some one that was going to but a motor in her and drive her agin . So if thats ture thats good news .

If you can get that much car for that price I need to go where you are ! I'd just look for rust and make sure all the basics check out

sounds like it would be worth your time to go look at it, but go with the mindset that you might not bring that car home yet
they made a TON of dusters so this might not be the one for you

but if it is you'll know :cheers:

A factory 360 4 speed car would be a rare car. The price doesn't seem out of line

It would have had a 8 1/4 also

If the body solid you couldn't build a car like it for less

73 was the last year for a factory 340

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm going to go look at it on thursday. I think it will be a blast to drive! I'll update everyone on what I decide to do. I hope its as solid as the pictures look.

.... Apparently I thought wrong. I had the guy send me some more pics last night, and the car looked solid. We spoke on the phone several times, and I felt he was being honest. I packed up this morning and make the 2.5 hour drive to look at the car. As soon as it came into view, I knew he had lied. There were several rust bubbles on the rear quarters, the whole car had heavy orange peel, which I could have fixed ... but it's the principle behind it. There was a hole in the "solid" floor board, and the interior was ragged.

What bothered me the most, it's 35 degrees outside, he fires the car up (he wouldn't let me drive it) lets it run for literally 2 minutes, and we take off ... pedal to the floor going through the gears as fast as he can, I mean he was hard on that poor old girl. we hit a dip in the road at 80, the headers hit the road hard, sparks go everywhere. He drove like this at every stop sign we came to.

I'm not upset, my friend and I actually laughed the whole way home ... we thought we might die in his dart! I'll keep looking, I'm sure something will turn up before summer!!!

-
Back