I may have made a mistake and AFU

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I posted this about the SV Seeker boat project:

S/V Seeker heads for the port!!!

and then this morning came across this disturbing allegation:

Which alleges that Doug the "main guy" in this boat project pulled a scam/ hoax/ prank which was a bit more than a joke, so I searched "SV Seeker hoax video" and sure enough:

Tulsa boatbuilder's extreme prank stirs anger and support online

Tulsa boatbuilder's extreme prank stirs anger and support online

TULSA, Okla. (KTUL) — In a video posted Monday morning to the SV Seeker YouTube page, Doug Jackson's girlfriend delivers a dire message.

"He was basically unconscious. There was a lot of blood. I really don't know what happened," Betsy Warner said in the video.

But that was an act.

"We've had no injuries here beyond a Band-aid," an alive-and-well Jackson told Tulsa's Channel 8.

Jackson revealed his prank at 9 p.m. on YouTube to his followers, a full 12 hours after the first video told them he was in a coma.

"You can't let a head concussion stop you from building a boat. I'm sorry. Yes, you've been pranked," Jackson said in the video.

Jackson planned the explosion with the help of several friends.

"I couldn't figure out what the audience was going to do," Jackson said. "You know how when you smash your thumb, everyone says, 'Ooh,' and you say, 'Ahh, I gotcha!' It's one real quick thing. When you make it longer, you test people's tolerances, I think."

His prank split his fanbase into factions: those who believed him and were sending well wishes, and those that didn't, calling it a disgusting joke.

Internet sleuths have gone as far as to call the Tulsa Fire Department, the Tulsa Police Department, and EMSA to see if they had responded to any calls at SV Seeker's place.

"Let's apologize to the dispatchers, the doctors' office, the hospitals, the fire department, the police department," Warner said.

Although Warner went along with the prank, she hasn't enjoyed the backlash.

"They don't really care about Doug anymore. It's not about Doug. They want to know if they're right or wrong," she said.

Jackson says this was, in part, a social experiment, but also a way to weed out who the true Seeker devotees were.

Did he go too far? Not in his mind.

"The only people on a boat that you can count on is your crew. There's no 911. No ambulances. You count on the people around you," Jackson said. "So, why do I filter? Because I want the right people around me."

While some have said they enjoyed the prank and his content, many have said they will be unsubscribing.

One YouTube user said they had subscribed for boat building, not for psychology.

Last edited:
-
Back