I might pass on this... lol

-

Frankie

Member #9641
Reaction score
Chinese theme park will give visitors the experience of what it was like to go down in the Titanic

Published January 14, 2014FoxNews.com

• titanicapfile.jpg

The original Titanic sank on April 15, 1912. (File Photo/AP)
  • Lovers of Titanic will be able to experience the magic, grandeur --and fear of what it must have been like on the "unsinkable ship" as it was going down.
Scheduled to open in 2016 in China, the true-to-size recreation will be the centerpiece of a theme park in Sichuan – a landlocked province, over 900 miles from the nearest ocean, reports the Telegraph
external-link.png
. The project is estimated at $165 million.
The attraction will allow hundreds of visitors to experience the feeling of an actual shipwreck through a unique simulation. Su Shaojun, chief executive of the Seven Star Energy Investment group that is funding the project, says the new Titanic museum will offer visitors a unique experience.
“When the ship hits the iceberg, it will shake, it will tumble," Shaojun told a press conference on Sunday. "We will let people experience water coming in by using sound and light effects. They will think, 'The water will drown me, I must escape with my life.'"
The luxury liner Titanic sank on April 15, 1912, during its maiden voyage from the English port of Southampton to New York. More than 1,500 died. The tragedy was popularized through the 1997 blackbuster film starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, which went on to become the second highest grossing film of all time.
Bernard Hill, who played Captain Edward Smith in the film, traveled to Hong Kong to show his support for the new replica and believes the project is being handled respectfully. "It's been approached in a very delicate and a very sensitive way and they're very aware of the extent of the disaster in 1912," he said. "I don't think it will belittle that disaster."
And if just taking a tour of the ship isn't enough to satisfy your sea-faring ways, Australian businessman Clive Palmer is also moving forward with plans to sail his very own Titanic replica in 2016.
Let's just hope they get the right number of lifeboats aboard this time.

I thought it was in extremely bad taste.

If you mean Leanardio DeCrapprio being the "star" of something, I agree completely!!!

That too. And although I tend to agree, he was actually good in "Catch Me If You Can" you should see it. It's really good.

Terrible, and disrespectful, and so is the pillaging of the wreck for artifacts. (mainly gold and jewels)

What a bad idea IMO. Distasteful and insulting. These parks are called amusement parks, what's amusing in reliving the last moments of so many peoples lives.

I can't see it as any more disrespectful, and I don't disagree, than Horrywood making millions or billions or whatever they made, with a terribly distorted "rendition"

One has to wonder if Horrywood has EVER made a fairly true to form movie about historical events.

Google up the old John Wayne version of "The Alamo" sometime

One of my favorite Horryable distortions of events was the "Bridge on the River Kwai"

Even "Saving Private Ryan" so far as I'm concerned is a lose lose. There were PLENTY of historically correct, heroic and other important events in WWII ---HW didn't need to invent them.

-
Back