I must be dumb... Fender help?

-

Gag_Halfront

Reaction score
I need to pull the doghouse off my '68 Barracuda. I have the nose pice off. no problem there. A few bolts on top, one on the bottom, four on each side. Pfft. Childs play. Next up, fenders. Five bolts on top, one in the wheel well... and... er... well, I have no idea what's next. I must be slow or something. Can somebody please give me a two second lesson on what it takes to get a fender off?

Thanks in advance,

-- David the body newb

Oh, and your not dumb. I've been working on nothing but barracuda's for 22 years and I still have questions. If you've never done it before how are you going to know???

Open the door and look in the rear top of the fender, some along the rocker below, a few in at the radiator core support, strut rod from bumper mount to lower fender in front of tire.

Those are more places to look.

This is what I come up with:

3 to the radiator yoke crossmember
3 down into the upper inner wheelwell
1 into cowl shield (upper rear of engine compartment
2 into side sill (very bottom of aft edge - "pillar support")
2 into fender side shield (wheelhouse)
4 into upper grille panel

I think I got them all. Time pending today, I will try to scan the appropriate image in the service manual and post it if nobody has done it by that time.

You guys are great! That page from the service manual would be a huge help to me, and probably a lot of others.

As it turns out, I actually was dumb at the time. I was working on my car with a head full of nyquil. I should know better, but I was excited to be starting my project. *shrug* Anyway, there are a couple on that list that I would not have found without help.

Once I get all the bolts, will it just lift off? Is there a trick to it? It looks like there's some putty or something in a couple of places where the pannels come together.

Here you go, David, I hope this works correctly.

Copy of fender (Small).jpg

Ok... It all makes sense except that one bit right above the caption. It has labels of "Pillar Support" "Side Shield" "Cowl" "Cowl Bracket" and "Fender". I can't figure out what they're trying to show there.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

EDIT:-----------

Ok... scratch the above. That's the bolt behind the top of the door. I took off the door and got that one. So I've gotten all the bolts along the top of the fender that connect it to the inner fender well. I've gotten all the bolts that connect it to the core support. Two in front, two on top. I got the four that hold it to the front clip (front clip is entirely off) I got the brace at the top of the wheel arch out, I got the bolt at the rear of the wheel arch, and the two under the door through the rocker panel.

Near as I can tell, that's every bolt. The fender will flap. The whole thing is loose and it comes away from the car at the bottom, but it's still not letting go at the top. It looks like there's some kind of adhesive between the flange on top of the fender and the flange on the inner fender well. I've looked and looked both at the diagrams and lists in this thread, and at the fender. There are no more bolts that I can see. There must be some kind of trick to separate the fender from the car at this point. Anybody care to clue a fellow in?

I've not yet taken the fenders off my '68 'Cuda (that'll be this spring), but I seem to remember that there was some seam sealer in the same location when I took off the fenders from my '68 GTX almost 30 years ago.

Just checked the manual for fender removal and replacement and there is no mention of any sealer or adhesive in there. You might try sliding a blade through there to see what is holding up the show.

-
Back