i need a cam

-

christineman

Reaction score
ive got a 360 with j heads, 202s, its bored.030, headers, with factory thermoquad. i need a cam that will give me the most i can get and still streetable for the wife if needed... laboring idle is fine,, nothing lopy.. any specs from your past experiance would be appreciated...

ive got a 360 with j heads, 202s, its bored.030, headers, with factory thermoquad. i need a cam that will give me the most i can get and still streetable for the wife if needed... laboring idle is fine,, nothing lopy.. any specs from your past experiance would be appreciated...
whats your compression and gearing?

streetable is a BIG range. What are your plans for use? as mentioned, gears, compression, exhaust, are you running a stall converter?

streetable is a BIG range. What are your plans for use? as mentioned, gears, compression, exhaust, are you running a stall converter?

Streetable, plus the word wife, narrows the streetable range considerably in most cases.
I think what he's trying to say is that he wants something extremely trouble-free so his wife doesnt have any problems driving it too.

I consider anything streetable. LOL But a bigger cam with a rough as hell idle might have a tendency to stall and be problematic in the wrong hands meaning someone less experienced with a motor like this.

A comp xe268 and the xe274 are pretty cool cams and will work great.
really good stoplight to stoplight cams for a mild build. Just my opinion.

Considering the lack of info and the general broad range of the question and without taxing the performance of the car without the info, a great cam suggestion is impossible to make, but, I have an excellent suggestion.

The OE 340 cam is a good performer. While it's idle is a mello one, a "Laboring" idle can be achieved with the updated version @ a 110 centerline and slightly different specs, but still performing in the same RPM range.

This cam is capable of everyday driving and of a easy 14 second 1/4 mile pass, quicker if you know what to do. It's not a radical re-design, so the ThermoQuad will not have a hard time with it. We have a few guys running in the 12's with less cam.

How about one of those muthathumper cams from comp? Sound very cool.

268 and 274 comp too big......

tellin ya, cant go wrong with the 260/260 comp........ And the mileage is great!
isky also offers a 262 on a narrow lsa that will give a slight chop at idle,but not give up low end.ive run the comp 260 h in a 318,good torque,an almost stock idle.i swapped it out for an isky 256 on a 108 .it lost vac,but picked up response/low end.

Naaaaa, Go BIG or go HOME. JMO haaaaaaaa:-D

Im with you, though with a BIG cam you'll also need a looser converter and steeper gears.. But if you run a stick...8)

A bit off topic but, I have the voodoo 60104 cam in my 283sbc 63 chevy pickup with a granny 4 speed, 9 to 1 comp and 373 open rear, and it can be quite a dog on the low end, but when the revs hit about 4800, hold on because your heads going over the back of the seat till the limiter hits at 6800.

And dumped as easy as one since theres as many cams as possible next girlfreinds.

Mad, he started alot of threads that could have been handled by this one thread. Same topic, same question, different wording sometimes. Where he has been, IDK? But he needs to come back and read this and help us help him with some additional info.

-
Back