I need a new torque converter

-

57dodged100

Reaction score
I pulled the starter and tin plate in hopes to find the source of the metallic rattle I heard at certain rpm on my '72 Scamp. I was expecting to find the torque converter bolts tapping the tin plate.

Unfortunately, I found one of the tabs welded to the torque converter had broke off. The bolt from the flex plate still held it.

Bummer. :banghead:

So I am in need of a stock torque converter for a stock '72 225 CID /6. The only mods to the engines is pertronix ignition and 2.25 exhaust.

Does any one have one for sale? I will be having a local trans shop do the work. I at least want to research where to buy one and get an idea of a price before he tells me what he can get.

So if I have to buy a new/remanufactured one, what should I expect to pay? Suggestions where to look to buy?

if there is a converter shop near you they will probably weld it back on. if you just want a new one go for a 1800 stall (stock is about 1300). you can call edge racing converters, my 3500 is very mellow till i jump on it

and if you buy a new converter tell them you making about 100hp and 150tq as long as it has good compression and runs great.

Before I would pull the tranny off, I would just spot weld the pad back on while on the car. Pull the inspection cover (I recall you must also pull starter on a slant). If there isn't enough room, remove the oil pan and rotate the crank until the rear arm is up out of the way. I did this on my 82 Aries when one of the holes got buggered up. I just welded a threaded stud in there. You can buy a wire-fed welder for $90 at Harbor Freight. I had never welded before (except a Benz-O-matic torch), and was able to fix several things on the first attempt.

-
Back