I need advice! stupid laptop.

-

SirDan

Reaction score
Nerds preferred here. I bought a alienware m15x laptop in june 2008. Was a great comp, then the graphics card died. Got it warrantied then a year later it died again! tried to get it warrantied and those guys overseas just jerked me around and i got nowhere. the graphics card isn't cheap either. i think a new one is about 500 bucks. i just got fed up and got a desktop thats way better than the laptop. But the thing i really need advice on is what to do with it? i spent 4,800 dollars on this thing! every time i think of how much i spent i want to commit suicide. I thought i was getting a better product than i got. anyway im considering trying to sell it. I really need money to work up this 318 i have in the garage. It just would hurt so much to sell something i bought for 4,800 dollars for like 400 or 200 dollars! but what else am i going to do with the thing? i could make it a server for games but honestly 200 bucks sounds alot better than a server for a stupid damn game. Im sure a 300 hp 318 will bring me a lot more joy than a server. i just don't know if i can come to terms with selling this darn thing. it just hurts so much. what do you guys think am i crazy or stupid? help me guys!!!! what would you do? whats logical?

I couldn't imagine spending that much on a laptop... What were the specs? I'm sure you won't get anywhere near your money's worth out of it though. Maybe the best way would be parting it out like with an old car. If you have the tools and knowledge to dismantle and properly package each piece... Then you just gotta find a buyer... Myself, I went with a good ol' Macbook, you don't have all the options to customize however they are very reliable. Just my 2 cents

originally i was going to go with a macbook but the specs were terrible for the price. but honestly after this experience i think i should have spent the money making a 500hp small block mopar. would have lasted longer and provided more enjoyment. but i cant go back in time unfortunately. i guess we all have to get screwed big time once rite?

Once? Most of us screw up regularly... lol. Mac's are expensive but they are like a fine-tuned machine. All of the internal parts were made for each other. PC's are like when you start fabricating and using universal parts, you have a better chance of something going wrong. but yes, better than a laptop would be a 500HP small block! :p

Unfortunately it is easy to get caught up in the "latest and greatest" when it comes to computers. $4800 is a boat-load of money! Was it the highest end gaming computer at the time?

Anyway, if you decide to buy another pc just wanted to NOT recommend Toshiba. Their prices are really nice but mine, my nephews, and 2 friends have had to get warranty repairs within 2 years of owning one. And those $20 laptop cooling stations are worth their weight in gold.

Your mistake was getting the latest technology. It's like buying a brand new car - huge depreciation. Today's $3000 gamer rig will be ho hum in a couple years. I think all you can do is replace the video card with something that will work (not necessarily the best card) and sell it for what you can. Try Ebay with a reserve that you could live with.

Try www.newegg.com for a video card.

Good luck.

Your mistake was getting the latest technology. It's like buying a brand new car - huge depreciation. Today's $3000 gamer rig will be ho hum in a couple years. I think all you can do is replace the video card with something that will work (not necessarily the best card) and sell it for what you can. Try Ebay with a reserve that you could live with.

Try www.newegg.com for a video card.

Good luck.

Agreed to a point..... today's latest & greatest gamer rig will be ho hum in a couple of months!!!( more like it)
I am not a gamer at all but there must be something REALLY special about your LT...4,800 is HUGE money...and here is the sad part....used laptops have a VERY soft resale market....good luck

For $4800, I could build six, yes 6 great gaming rigs. You must have been ripped off, or went with the latest and greatest intel along with the best graphics card(s). Did you go SLI on the video card? Intel or AMD cpu? I'm guessing you went intel, considering they charge a fortune for their newest/fastest cpu's, we're talking $1000 for just the chip.

What are the specs of your computer?

BTW, here is a link to a great computer forum. You will probably get a better response there:

http://www.computing.net/forum/cpus/1.html

I didn't even know you could spend 5 grand on a laptop. I spent 300 bucks on this POS Aspire and run Linux on it.

-
Back