I need help but am afraid I'll get shot

-

Brambles

Reaction score
Sorry about this question but its another 833 decode.

I was at the autowrecker today and inquired about a 833 tranny, he said he has one but isn't sure if its a 4 spd or a 4sp OD tranny. He said it can from a 75 duster.

It has a cast iron case and the numbers on the ID pad are
1B235854
P833 3376

Some other numbers are

C-99126-3 on the Tailshaft
C-99386
C99129H can't remember where these last two numbers were located on the transmission!!

Could someone please help me decode this. If its worth buying I don't want to miss out.

Another question is how well the 4spd OD handles performance upgrades, my engine is 425-450 hp. Will the 4 spd OD live very long? and will it kill my performance? I have never driven a 4 spd OD so I don't know if there is too much gap between gears for decent performance?

Thanks

Brambles

Go and get the tranny ASAP.That code you gave me is for a 71 model year tranny.Your imfo on the side stamping pad should be this.
PP or PK 833 3376 and a 4 digit code after that.The code is a build unit that day.
The 3376 shows it to be a oct 23 1971 on a sunday.
Do count the number of splines on the input shaft 18 or 23.If its a 23 its a normal tranny,18 its from a 440 6 pack car or a hemi car.
Mrmopartech,P.S. make sure you have put the check in the mail.

Thanks for the help if its a 1971 tranny the it is definitly a 4 spd and that would be awesome :toothy7:

One thing I found out though is
From what I could tell the "1" in 1B235845 could have ment 1971

I also found a website that referred #3491 as 2/17/1971
The only thing that confuses me is that my number is 3376 which would mean it was an earlier tranny right? This would almost be 4 months earlier.which would be 1970???

Am I wrong.

My Chrysler interchange manual doesn't have any numbers even close to what is on the tranny???

Your help is greatly appreciated

Brambles

Yes, it was built in Oct. 1970. Oct. 1971 would be a 1972 model year tranny.

AAHHHH I see. Thanks guys,

The guy only wants $250 cdn for it so I think that is a great deal, an average how much is it to rebuild something like this? The engine has between 425 and 450 hp and I want the tranny to last however I don't imagine I'll ever side step the clutch at 5000 rpm, not really into beating on my stuff too badly :angel9:

Thanks again

Brambles

I have always used the brass stop rings in the trans, unless they are in really bad shape. Clean it up, check the clearances. It's not a bad idea to replace the bearings and seals. You can do all that for under $100.

Is replacing the bearings and seals something that a guy can do himself with average tools or is it rocket science with special tools?

Thanks for the help

Brambles

It's not difficult to do, but it is a bit of a Chinese puzzle. Read the manual a couple of times and then tackle it. Most parts are available from Passon or Brewers. They may even have a manual for them.

-
Back