I need help....

-

fstbackfish

SS/AA
Reaction score
Ok so i feel really stupid asking for help with this, but i don't know anything about brakes at all....

I have 10 inch drums on all four corners of my 68 barracuda. I just put new shoes on the front (both sides) and adjusted all four corners. The back brakes were super tight, It took some doing to get the drums off at all. After I readjusted them they seemed fine, but after one trip arounf the block it won't even power stand now? And on top of that the drivers side front doesnt even seem to be braking at all (not even with the line lock?). It pulls super hard to the right also. Any ideas? I have had trouble with the brakes before, but it just kinda seemed to fix itself. I have more than enough power to turn the tires in tyhe back, but it just won't? I dunno if it is even a brake issue, but thats what my first guess was/is anyways. I would greatly appreciate some advice on this one lol.
Thanks

The first question is, did you turn the drums?

Second, have you re--adjusted them after your replaced the shoes?

Are you sure you did not get two primary shoes on one side, and two secondary shoes on the other?

Speaking of which, did you get the short lining towards the front of the car on both sides

Replace your rubber brake hoses front and rear. Sounds to me like they are breaking down internally and acting like check valves. :banghead:

+1 to the hoses and you should really resurface the drums Even if it's just enough to remove the outer lip that makes them so hard to get on and off. Then readjust them.

The rear drums wouldn't come off not because they were too tight, but because there was a ridge on them somewhere holding them on. To get them off correctly, they should have been adjusted down so the drums could have been removed. If something's hard to do, it's because you're doing something wrong. They should be turned to smooth them out. If you install new shoes on a drum that's not been turned, you will not be making contact with 100% of the drum on 100% of the shoes. Drums need to be turned to assure a good flat contact against the shoe.

Brake hoses break down on the inside over time. What this does is make them act like a check valve holding pressure on a wheel cylinder and cause a pull. Whenever you have a pull on a drum brake system, it's almost always the hoses. Mis adjustment can cause a pull too, but not as significant or lasting as a brake hose pull.

Lastly, I would not complain about not being able to pull through the rear brakes trying to do a brake stand. First off, that maens the brakes are WORKING. Secondly, that's very abusive on just about the whole car. I am pretty sure you only want to do the brakes once.

-
Back