I Need Info On 1968 340 pulleys

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that can tell me about what pulleys I am going to need for this 1968 Barracuda with a 340, power steering, and air conditioning? I need either part numbers or just dimensions and also how many grooves each pulley has. I also need info on the alternator how many pulleys and the brackets needed to mount it. I am pretty sure the power steering brackets are all there. Also any pictures of the front of the motor that you might have showing a 68 with air would be great also.
Thanks
Bob

Chrysler/ Federal/ Thompson gearoter pump or the GM vane pump? take different pulleys, brackets, etc

I have a 69 with power steering and air, although it is pretty much of a Frankenstein. Had a 70’s 360 swapped in with air from a 71. Has the 69 engine front end with the water pump exit on drivers side. It is not original, but is functional. I can take some pics if that would be helpful.

I am also interested in what the stock pulley set up looks like. I have not been able to find much info, even in the FSM.

My car was an a/c power steering car. I can’t really help with pictures, but I remember it being INCREDIBLY complicated setup! It even takes a very heavy dampener like crank pulley and an idler pulley, a two groove alternator pulley.

I kind of figured that it had a two groove alternator pulley. Just more fun putting together the puzzle.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob

'68 Barracuda 340-S with PS and AC.

One pulley alternator.
IMG_20190903_173606647.jpg

View of PS and left side idler roller.
IMG_20190903_173626928.jpg

Idler roller and bracket
IMG_20190903_173659727.jpg

Left side view. 3 groove crank pulley.
IMG_20190903_173726190.jpg

Compressor brackets right side.
IMG_20190903_173743266.jpg

Left side idler roller close up.
IMG_20190903_173752473.jpg

Alternator pulley. Oops! I slipped with the tape. I'm pretty sure it is PN 2444478. 2.5", very common.
IMG_20190903_173842059.jpg

Right idler pulley and bracket.
IMG_20190903_173909454.jpg

Compressor pulley.
IMG_20190903_173924113.jpg

Yet another view of the left idler roller and PS bracket.
IMG_20190903_174009971.jpg

See next message for a few more.

Last edited:
Part 2.
Another left side view.
IMG_20190903_174612905.jpg

Not much help, but water pump pulley.
IMG_20190903_174721683.jpg

Left Idler Roller.
Left idler pulley.jpg

Power steering pulley.
Power steering pulley.jpg

I tried getting the tape on the crank pulley. Looks to be about 8".
IMG_20190903_174709269.jpg

That's all I have for now.
Do you have a parts manual? If things weren't confusing enough, it shows Air Conditioning Adapter Packages A and B for the same application. Also, an idler roller is different from an idler pulley, in that it contacts the back of the v-belt. I did some editing to reflect that.

I have a 69 engine with a.c. and ps still on it setting in my shop. Should be able to get some good pic if you could use some more. I can look for numbers on the pulleys and belts. Let me know.

I have a 69 engine with a.c. and ps still on it setting in my shop. Should be able to get some good pic if you could use some more. I can look for numbers on the pulleys and belts. Let me know.

I'd like to see it. That fan, shroud, and radiator don't make it easy to get clear shots.
If it helps, I can also scan the appropriate sections of my parts manual. Mine is quite a bit clearer than the one on mymopar.com.

Any pictures that you can put up on this thread will help not only me but anyone else that may need them in the future. If you are willing to scan out of your parts manual that would be great also, either post them on here or I can PM you and send you my e-mail.
Thanks guys
Bob

Sorry, it has been YEARS since the a/c was on the car. Only one groove alt.

Here are the parts manual illustrations of both Models A and B of the A/C Adapter Packages for '68 small blocks. The scans are quite a bit cleaner than those from MyMopar.com. Note that they aren't just for A-Bodies, but fit B-Bodies and C- Bodies as well. They aren't especially helpful in seeing how everything goes together, but it probably shows most every part required.
If you're not familiar with the format of the parts manuals, the numbers after the part description aren't part numbers. They refer to the section in the text pages in which you can find the parts required broken down by model, engine, etc.

Attachments

• Illus Page 24-18.pdf
    386.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Illus Page 24-21.pdf
    432.4 KB · Views: 142
Thank You I just printed them out, but what does that mean "Air Conditioning Adapter Package" are these parts that were used with the dealer add on Air or are these just parts that were used from the factory for factory Air cars ?

From the top of the text page 1 in the A/C section of the parts manual.

Note: All Parts Listed as Model "A" or "B" in the Part Name and Description Column Indicates used on Field Installed Units Only.

And wouldn't you know it, my parts manual was missing or had Illustration pages 24-1 and 24-2 out of order. So, here are the ones from MyMopar. These would represent factory installed A/C systems for A-Bodies. I don't believe there's a lot of difference un the mounts and pullies, but you never know. For instance, on illustration page 24-1, it doesn't show an idler roller and bracket, which mine clearly has, but the idler roller and bracket are shown as part of A/C Adapter Package (Model B), suggesting my A/C is a dealer add-on. My car clearly has the A/C firewall, however, so I'm pretty sure it's factory installed. I don't care really, it looks original and better still, it works well.

What are you trying to do? Find missing parts for an original A/C car? Or convert one built without to look original? Something else? Unless I had a show car, I think I'd just use aftermarket brackets and compressor. But, I'm a firm believer in one should do what he wants with his car. Too darn many people trying to tell others what to do.

Attachments

• Illus Page 24-1.pdf
    229.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Illus Page 24-2.pdf
    223.3 KB · Views: 100
This 68 Barracuda formula S is a factory Air car but I bought it with no drive train in it at all. I am installing a 1971 340 motor and switching everything over to the 68 set up. I have a lot of the under hood A/C parts that I have picked up here and there like the compressor some of the hard lines drier bottle some of the brackets. I do not have the condenser or the hard line that goes from the drier to the condenser I also need some of the support brackets. I do not have any of pulleys as of yet and I do not have any of the alternator brackets. I found the power steering pump in the trunk but until I get that far I do not know if it is complete or not. The motor will be going in the car pretty soon once the engine compartment is painted and I am hoping to be able to dress up this motor with the correct stuff over the winter. So everything that you guys put up on here is a big help. I will take pictures as I go along and then try to compare what I have with the pictures that you guys put up.

Here are some pics if you want more detailed pics of something, just ask. Sorry it is so greasy.

20190908_190827.jpg

20190908_190849.jpg

20190908_190901.jpg

20190908_190926.jpg

Hope I am not wasting everyone's time with these photos. That was the only belt that had a number on it. If you need more info on bolt length or where there are washer or spacers, let me know.

20190908_191240.jpg

20190908_191253.jpg

20190908_191307.jpg

20190908_191356.jpg

-
Back