i need input on this rearend. please help me out

-

Mopar318Guy

bear jew
Reaction score
thats right. 3.55 3.91 4.10 and 4.56 gears for a 7 1/4. i was always told how they were worthless piece of **** rear ends. but if people are ACTUALLY selling gears for them whos the liar?? what kinda hp have they broken at that you know of. what breaks, why dont you like them and why are they so frowned upon? im guessin ill just spend my 120 on the 8 1/4 and buy the 167 dollar 4.10s

I broke one one time at the track with a stock 360, 72 dart. not a heavy car at all. There not complete junk, but it just depends on how hard ya wanna play, everything has its breaking point, I have seen Dana's break. you just have to mix the right parts. you can't build a bad *** motor and trans and expect them to hold up. But I think they are great under a car with a 170-198-or 225, you don't need a monster rear all the time.

I just snapped an axel in a 8 1/4.I guess you could put c-clip eliminators in it if your not running to much horsepower.Just my 2 cents.Good luck

well, I wouldn't waste any money building a 7 1/4. just build the rear you want to now, them later if ya go bigger/badder on the power, the rear will already be there ready for it

yea. im thinkin 3.91s or 4.10s how bad would the gas be with 4.10s on a 3 speed 727. what kinda rpm would i run at 45 and 55 and 64 mph??

Laws of physics simply state the smaller parts won't handle the load when made of the materials used at the time of manufacture of your 7 1/4 unit.... At least use an 8 1/4. I would go no lower than 3.55 if you want an economy/performance compromise.

im going 410 in the 8 1/4 with a 904 and a 28in tire and will be at around 3000 rpm

-
Back