i need some engine advice

-

muscleman

Reaction score
Hi, i'm kinda new to workin with American muscle and need some advice. I have a 1974 duster with a 1972 340 engine. Is there anything i can do to it to give it the same performance of a 70-71 340 without adding any accessories to it? and if not , is it worth replacing it with the good ol' 70-71 340?

Yeah change the cam. Also check the heads and see if they have an X next to the spark plug. If not you'll have to pull the head to see if you have 2.02in 1.60ex.

as far as I know and thats not much any 340 is a GOOD 340 with a simple head swap to some early 340 heads or X heads I think you will be right as rain

yea, keep the 340 you have. all 340's from 68-73 are good. even though in 72 i think they came with cast cranks and lower compression. but still, that can all changelater when ou decide to do a complete rebuild.

The biggest changes to the '72 and '73 340's was the cast crank, lower compression, and smaller valves.

The cast crank really doesn't affect hp, and it will be just fine up to 400+ hp, so no real worries there.

The smaller valves are still 1.88/1.60, so while you may lose a little bit on the top end, this isn't a huge power robbing change, especially with a stock cam, intake and carb. Start opening up the flow elsewhere though and it can become a bottleneck.

The compression ratio is where you really take a hit. '72-'73 340's had different pistons to get that lower ratio. '68-'71 340's had pistons that came out of the cylinder by .018" (which can actually be detrimental if you want to run aftermarket heads, since most are closed chamber and can present clearance problems.) Needless to say, unless you're going to do a complete rebuild you probably won't be changing the pistons, so you'll have to look at getting more compression another way.

I wouldn't go looking for an earlier 340. You'll spend a bunch of money, and after a rebuild it won't matter anyway, since you'll probably have to replace most of the different stock parts anyway. To up the power, your best bet is to raise the compression. A set of closed chamber heads would do this in a heartbeat (RHS X heads, Edelbrock, or even just stock magnum heads off a later 5.2 or 5.9). To do it without buying any big ticket items, you can pull the heads and have them milled down a little. Depending on your budget, you could even have the larger valves added too. The only thing to remember is if you shave the head, you'll also need new pushrods, and unless you happen to be able to use a standard size you'll have to buy custom pushrods, which will set you back ~$200, in addition to the cost to mill the heads and replace the head gaskets.

Switching in a cam will help some, but keep in mind you still want to match the cam with the compression ratio. Just dropping in a big cam with an 8.something:1 compression ratio will probably not get you the results you want. Run a big enough of a mismatch and you might even reduce the performance.

Also, making some changes of accessories can help get you more hp without getting too deep into the engine. A Edelbrock performer rpm or airgap intake manifold will perform better than a stock 4 barrel intake, so you can get some hp there. Headers can buy you a few more ponies too, even without other changes. Go with a well tuned newer carb and just those changes can move you closer in performance to an earlier stock 340.

In the February 2001 issue Mopar Muscle ran a bunch of dyno runs on a stock 340, keeping track of intake (air gap), carb (eddy 800cfm), header and cam and valve spring changes. They ended up getting up to 400 hp on the dyno after those changes, up from an original 280hp. Now, they were using a '70 340 with a higher compression, so you might not see all the same gains, but you'd better believe that if they can add 120 hp you can still improve things quite a bit without needed to really get into the engine.

Pm me with an email address and I can send you the article if you're interested.

Someone here told me that the 72 340 I was selling is a glorified 318 & it wasn't desirable because it has a cast crank & 1.88 valves. lol

Someone here told me that the 72 340 I was selling is a glorified 318 & it wasn't desirable because it has a cast crank & 1.88 valves. lol

remember, what ever your selling isn't worth anything
what ever your buying is worth its weight in gold

Yeah I thought it was funny too. I just told him no thanks rather than laugh @ him. His offer was $350 for a complete carb to pan 340 too.

i would have offered you at least $351 lol! seriously i have seen complete 340's on here posted anywhere from $2500 to $5000. Although the crank and the rods are the same size i don't think the 318 ever came with the hipo versions of it. they did get the forged stuff for the first couple years just like the 340's but they were a little different i think (had holes drilled to lighten them or something like that) someone will tell me if i am wrong. then you got the bore which is bigger than a 360. maybe a glorified MONSTER not a 318. if i were putting a set of eddys on a 340 it would be the ones for what i got there are 2 sets. one for the high comp 68' to 71' and the ones for every other small block mopar

Stick a mild cam in it and super-tune it.

I'd super tune it first. Timing, total advance, good TQ carb set up just right. Should have "J" heads on it already, should have a premium forged crank, but maybe not. Should have the good 340 cam and springs. You can not run 68 to 71 pistons on pump gas with the stock cam anyway. If you get it tuned perfectly, maybe some gears. 3.55 or 3.91 with a sure-grip. Enjoy! If that is not enough for you then as Moper says...

thanks for all this info , and what i plan on doing is restoring it to give it the stock power of a 70-71 340 and building it up from there. but i ran into a road block atm. i have to find out whats wrong with my ignition now haha oh the fun of working on muscle, not to mentioni only have time to work on it once or twice a week haha

I'd super tune it first. Timing, total advance, good TQ carb set up just right. Should have "J" heads on it already, should have a premium forged crank, but maybe not. Should have the good 340 cam and springs. You can not run 68 to 71 pistons on pump gas with the stock cam anyway. If you get it tuned perfectly, maybe some gears. 3.55 or 3.91 with a sure-grip. Enjoy! If that is not enough for you then as Moper says...

A '72 340 most likely has a cast crank instead of forged. It's possible it had a forged crank, but the cast is more likely.

You can definitely run 68-71 340 pistons with pump gas and the stock cam with most stock engines. The factory spec'ed 10.5:1, but the compression was rarely that high. The compression on my '68 340 was closer to 9.5:1 stock based on the chamber volume of the heads, it would run 91 octane no problem.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aiKrwGXFOo&feature=related"]YouTube - '69 Cuda 340[/ame] add a hughes whiplash cam , low compression 340 , with this cam hauls asss ! more footage and details on youtube

Muscleman, your 340 has a "340" can. Just like every other 340 has. You just have minor diferances between your engine and the earlier ones. They would be a cast crank, less compresion and a smaller intake valve. That is where it ends. That's it.

Follow what 72bluNblu said with ol'kimmers distributors advice.
Moper has an excellent tip as well.
Honorable mention to JOHNNY MOPAR for that video and Huges whiplash cam suggestion.
Huges has a good idea with that cam for lower compresion engines to help build up cylinder pressure.

Sedanman, that guy who said "A low comp 340 is a glorifed 318" needs to be shot! LOL. If he wants anything inthe future, I'd charge him double for spite. LMAO!

You can definitely run 68-71 340 pistons with pump gas and the stock cam with most stock engines. The factory spec'ed 10.5:1, but the compression was rarely that high. The compression on my '68 340 was closer to 9.5:1 stock based on the chamber volume of the heads, it would run 91 octane no problem.

I guess that pinging was in my head. Of course I ran full advance.

-
Back