i need valve spring help,please

-

tobysoldblue

tobysoldblue
Reaction score
Ok,heres the deal,i have some new mopar performance valve springs,they were ordered with a 557 solid cam.I dont have the part number right here with me,but i was wondering if they will work with my competetion cams,280-480 cam.Its an old grind(i heard they changed the centerline in the 90s?)but it is brand new,well its got one 1/8 mile run on it,and was deemed too small for the 340 we were running it in.I am planning to upgrade the cam in about a month,to a lunati voodoo,with 494 intake,and 513 exhaust lift.I dont wont to wipe the cam lobes off either of these cams,and also,i know that too strong od a valve spring takes away power,unnecessarily.Please help!

They are a dual valve spring http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4542&N=700+400172+4294822607+115&autoview=sku i remeber they were expensive when i bought them back in 2001,but they have never been out of the box.I also have a mopar 509 cam i could put in this thing for a little while,and crane adjustable rockers.The engine is a 318,bored .030 over with flat tops,proted and gasket matched 302 casting heads,torker 340 intake,dynomax headers,750 holley vaccum secodary carb,904 tranny,still got to get the converter for that.Im going to order a stealth intake at the same time as the voodoo cam,because they seem to be a perfect match for each other.All this stuff will be put in a 360 in a years or so,so if the 318 is over cammed,and a slug,i guess it will be ok for a little while,lol

Well unfortunately Mopar has changed their part numbers so looking them up by part number to get the pressure specs. is impossible. I would guess and say no they are not too much for the Comp cam you have. If you have access to a spring pressure tester have them checked. You should be looking for something around 120-130 seat pressure @1.68" and 310-330 open at 1.2".

Here's the only catch. Have your spring pockets been cut to accept dual springs? If not they won't work correctly and you'll need to pull the heads to have them done or just sell what you have and get a good single spring that'll do the job. If the pockets are cut you'll also need valve spring locators to keep them from walking around. You'll need to match the locators up with some on Summit's website that fit according to the I.D. of the spring and O.D. of the valve guide.

Oh and I can allmost guarantee you that .509 cam will be a slug in a teen unless it has real high compression (like 11 to 1 or higher). Especially with that junk Torker intake. I had one on my 360. It's worth more in scrap aluminum than anything. JMHO

If your planning on a new cam in just a month why are you going through all this work? Seems like alot of work to only use for such a short time and gaskets and oil and antifreeze ain't cheap.

those should be a double spring which is too much for a hyd cam. Do yourself a favor and buy what the cam manufadturer recommends. They might work and they also might wipe the cam.

I looked in the summit website,and the lunaticam calls for a stronger spring than what i have now,so i dont know if ill use these springs or not
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?CP=1&part=DCC-3614542&N=700 0&Ntt=DCC~3614542 or CCA~20~232~4 or DCC~4120233 or DCC~5249847 or CCA~901~16&Ntk=&rsview=sku&Ns= these are what i have http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?CP=1&part=CCA-901-16&N=700 0&Ntt=DCC~3614542 or CCA~20~232~4 or DCC~4120233 or DCC~5249847 or CCA~901~16&Ntk=&rsview=sku&Ns= this is waht the comp cam calls for http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=LUN-60403LK&autoview=sku this is the cam im gonna get http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?CP=1&part=LUN-73949&N=700 0&Ntt=DCC~3614542 or CCA~20~232~4 or DCC~4120233 or DCC~5249847 or CCA~901~16 or LUN~73949&Ntk=&rsview=sku&Ns= this is the springs the lunati cam calls for,so you smart guys(not being a smartass there) please tell me what you think,if not,ill just pack everything back up,and wait until i get my tax money back for the cam,and valve springs kit.And i figured the torker was junk,compared to what is avalible today,thats why i want a weiand stealth intake

Well there may not be much diff between the Comp springs and the Lunati springs. I see the comp springs are rated at 353 lbs./in and the Lunati's at 363 lbs./in. Although the Lunati are double springs where as the comps are singles. Not sure how that would affect things. If their starting pressure is the same then their ending pressure would be close since they are close to the same rate. Problem is it don't tell the pressure at installed height. If it did that I could say positively if they would interchange or not. Maybe go onto Lunati's website (part of Holley div.) and see if it tells the spring pressure required. Also again another consideration is whether or not your heads have been cut for dual springs like I said earlier. If they haven't you would be better going with the single spring unless you want to remove the heads and have them done.

Sometimes you just have to match up springs by the pressure required by the cam mfg. and what your putting them on. You also have to match the retainers to the springs so they fit tight and can't walk at that point and you should run spring locators to keep them from walking around on the head. That is detrimental to springs and head surfaces. And lastly set the spring heights to specs.

i see comp cams have a complete valve train kit,with cam,lifters,valve springs,retainers locks,and timing chain.For the money,i think its the way to go,because everything will match,so there shouldnt be any guess work.Thanks for all the advice though.

-
Back