I need your Help Fast

-

augiepaw

Reaction score
I'm at a junk yard and found a 8.75 rearend in a 72 New Yorker It has a 489 pig how can I tell if its a posi with out pulling it? I'm at lunch and in work clothes. So I don't have much time. do I need to take the rest of the day off and change my clothes and come back with tools?

Turn one tire and watch the other. If they both spin the same way, it's a sure grip, if they turn opposite, the carrier is open.

Odds are most likely it's open, so I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Thanks, only one side spins I quess iI have to go back to work. I thought that was the case. But I wasn't sure. If I didn't find out it would have bugged me all day, thinking it was a sure grip and I passed it by. THANKS

The last factory-installed Suregrip put in a C-body was probably a 300 Hurst.

I had a '73 Imperial that had a factory sure grip. It had the skid control option too.

It wasn't a 489 8.75, because the last of those left the factory in '72. 9.25, maybe?

But apart from that, they could be special ordered on anything. Except for the relatively rare performance packages that died out in the early 70's they will be the very rare exception, not the rule. Later 9.25 axles may have had more LS diffs, dunno.

A run-of-the-mill '72 New Yorker sitting in the boneyard will almost certainly not have a Suregrip.

It wasn't a 489 8.75, because the last of those left the factory in '72. 9.25, maybe?

But apart from that, they could be special ordered on anything. Except for the relatively rare performance packages that died out in the early 70's they will be the very rare exception, not the rule. Later 9.25 axles may have had more LS diffs, dunno.

A run-of-the-mill '72 New Yorker sitting in the boneyard will almost certainly not have a Suregrip.
The 8 3/4 stopped at the end of the '74 model year. All the '73-4 E-bodies had them and many of the trucks and vans had one as an option. The Imperials all had them in '73 but changed over to the 9 1/4 in '74 (which also has disc brakes!)

-
Back