I never cease to amaze myself......

-

69Chrgr

Charger/Cuda
Reaction score
At what dumb, stupid mistakes I keep making. O.k., got the distributor springs worked out, and was excited about going to the track. That morning, I replaced all the plugs with new Autolite 5224's, and the night before put one size jet(80's) in the primary side of the carb. It's a QF 750 D.P. Well, I noticed it had a BAD rough spot, and it surged while driving around in the pit areas REALLY bad. Trailered it to the track, and it barely would pull to 6000 RPM, and backfired real bad through the exhaust when I let off. I ran a 7.80 at 92, but I could tell something was wrong. So, I gave up for a while, then this morning put new plugs in, Champion RC12YC's. Still, had the same problem. So, I thought maybe it was the P.V., because all the plugs were black, and I mean really bad. It would burn your eyes in the shop while idling. Well, low and behold when I took the front bowl off, I noticed you can put the gasket on upside down, between the metering block and the bowl. However, if you put in on upside down, it appears to partially block the power valve. I thought, hmmm, I wonder if this was my problem. Turned it the right way, fired it up, and BAM, rough spot gone, no more surging, and it runs great again. Guess I'll have to wait until this weekend and find out. Plugs are now very light tan, maybe a little lean. Sorry for the rant, just thought maybe someone can learn from my bonehead mistakes. Wheww.

Done some stupid stuff before too. It only takes 1 time to learn.

Welcome to the club. I do dumb stuff like that all the time!

;-)

Mistakes are part of tuning, but the idea is to learn from them and not do the same thing twice. Tuning the mechanic is more IMPORTANT than tuning the car sometimes.

I ran my plugs at a light tan racing small blocks in Stock Eliminator and had great results........Whenever I richened it up, I suffered..........don't give it too much more..........

.....and I'll bet we all have some tales to tell about our backward moments.....

8)

Thanks guys. I just hope someone can benefit from my mistake, as I got lucky in finding it. I never thought you could put the gasket in upside down. It really helps sometimes to walk away for a while, contemplate and come back with a fresh perspective.

Remember, once may be dumb but twice is stupid. Mistakes are what we all learn from. And man, I've been learning for a long time.

-
Back