I picked up a block today

-

brian6pac

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Found this 318 block dated 8-1-66 with 4 bolt motor mount, brought it home and put the ultrasonic thickness tester on it and found .250 thick walls

IMG_4826.JPG

IMG_4827.JPG

IMG_4829.JPG

IMG_4823.JPG

IMG_4822.JPG

I was thinking that both sides had the 4 ears but this block they are only on one side, is this the way they are ?

I was thinking that both sides had the 4 ears but this block they are only on one side, is this the way they are ?
It varies.
That's the cylinder core/block casting # I used for 4.040...now keep it quiet before everyone catches on...

We need to keep the bullshit 318 story going so us few can keep benefiting. Lol

Is it a LA or the old wide block 318? Kim

I was thinkin it was a poly block. That would explain it. They are not easy to tell apart unless you know what you're lookin for.

That's the cylinder core/block casting # I used for 4.040...now keep it quiet before everyone catches on...

A long time ago, there was an article on some shop what was boring out early 318's - like .150" over - and welding up cranks to make big inch motors. This was long before you could buy a stroker crank. I'm not sure if it was a magazine or an old book on Mopar engines.

8-1-66 date would put in a early 67 car, LA engine

"I picked up a block today"
Was it heavy?

A long time ago In the winter I built a 340 short block in my basement and in the spring me and my friend carried it out, about half way up the stairs started creaking, popping, and making all kinds of noise. You never seen 2 guys carrying a block move so fast.

-
Back