i really need some help

-

17dartandbroke

Reaction score
this is totally non mopar related, but im really hopeing that one of you guys can help me with this

my 96 nissan pickup has a 5 speed manual trans in it. i am about two hours away from home and the stupid thing refuses to go into reverse. is there any quick fix to this sort of thing. it has never before shown any signs of having transmission problems. what is wrong with it?

How many miles are on it? If you shut the engine off, are you able to put it in reverse? This may be a temporary thing to do just to get you home.

Might be time for a clutch, and like Adam said, check the clutch master to see if there is any fluid in it. Might be a leak in that system too.

Good luck with it. :thumleft:

Chris

If its the master for the clutch I hope its easier to get then the one for my Talon was. Took me 4 days to get it, I was 200 miles from home and it tuned out to be a bad slave cyl.

its at the line that says max. its a brownish color with a little bit of white stuff in it.

it just really puzzles me because its strictly in reverse. what could be wrong?

the truck has 80k miles on it. should i try to fix this myself, or do you think that i would be better off taking it to a shop?

2 wheel drive. if it is the stock clutch..........could that be the problem? it really doesn't slip in any other gear though.

Probably not the clutch if its just Rev.

Try putting in rev with the truck off and then start it.

ok, i got it into reverse. now when trying to back up it will pop out of gear. if i try to put it in and hold it it wants to grind the gear

does this help isolate the problem

**i'm not aware of any manual tranny with reverse synchronized**

sounds to me more like a bent/broken reverse fork, which CAN happen all of a sudden.....

me not being too familiar with nissan, i thin kyou'd most likely have to find one in a scrap yard......IF that's the problem

i don't see low fluid being the culprit...i think that will just cause noise and wear....however....if you check your fluid and it's low, top 'er off and see what happens......best case you've solved it. worst case, if it's low, it has caused damage...either way, if the fluid is low and topping off doesn't fix it, then you're in for a tear-down

green67cuda said:
**i'm not aware of any manual tranny with reverse synchronized**

sounds to me more like a bent/broken reverse fork, which CAN happen all of a sudden.....

Im not ver familur with how a manula trans works. I jut jab it in gear and go. :D

Being I work for Nissan in the service dept. I can throw out a few ideas. First of all, make sure there is nothing bent or broken under the shifter plate at the base of the shifter. All the linkage is internal with an opening at the top of the transmission incorporating the shift gate. You can check this from inside the truck by popping up the console trim and unbolting the shift boot retainer. If this checks out OK, and the clutch master & slave are not leaking and operating properly, you may have fragged the shift fork for reverse as previously mentioned. While this is NOT common, I never rule anything out.

The Nissan drivetrains are fairly bullet-proof with the exception of maybe doing a clutch every 180,000 miles or so :D

Let us know what you find.

FASTBACK340 said:
The Nissan drivetrains are fairly bullet-proof with the exception of maybe doing a clutch every 180,000 miles or so :D

Nothing is bullet proof when your a 17 year old guy thats in to cars. :D

AdamR said:
FASTBACK340 said:

Nothing is bullet proof when your a 17 year old guy thats in to cars. :D

You do have a point Adam! I've seen stuff blow-up that should have lived....

Quick story:
My sister growing up killed 3 VW Beetles, a 6 cyl/ powerglide Chevelle, a Toyota Celica, slant 6 Duster, and a small block Monte Carlo. I swear she could break a crow bar in a sand box! She killed the best of`em. She's gotten better. Her current car she's had for 3 yrs. :roll:

thanks for the advice. i made it home, so that is definetly a plus. im going to do the fluid thing, and then ill check under the shifter today. ill tell you guys what i come up with. i think the culprit is the fact that i almost have enough money to finish building my 340. and of course something must arise to prohibit that from happening

thanks again,
daryl

update:

well, i drained the transmission today and these four little rectangle shaped pieces fell out. they have a groove in the center of them on one sid and the other has raised section in the center going the opposite direction of the goove.

the fluid looked like it got some water in it. it also was a little low.

any clue as to what these little things are?

-
Back