I screwed up, neep help

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Working on my 66 Dart. I started polishing some of the trim that goes around the back window and I see that apparently the trim should have been put on before I had the rear window installed along with the rear clips. So now that the rear window is installed I was wondering what my options are? How can I take these clips that are screwed in out so I can put the trim on and move forward? Im adding some pics to show what Im up against.
Below you can see I already have the clips screwed in and the rubber blocks me ability to get at the screw heads.
DSCN0904.JPG
DSCN0905.JPG
DSCN0906.JPG

Below you can see that the trim should have gone on before the clips and window.
DSCN0907.JPG
DSCN0908.JPG
DSCN0909.JPG

The two pics above show the trim that I need to install.
I will be anxiously awaiting a secret how to get this in without having to remove the rear window! Help!!
Rod

I don't know anything about a 66 dart, but based on your pictures I would say the back window has to come back out... :(

From what I see in your OK quality pictures, you may be OK. Your clips look kind of like the ones in my 69 Barracuda. They hold the trim in place by "popping" the inside lip of the trim into the space between the clip and the window frame. On my car, the proper order was, 1) Install clips, 2) Install glass, and 3) Pop trim into place. That is what I see.

I agree or find and ask window installers . b cool old window people r gittin hard 2 find ask around a good stock and complete set of fact. repair books r pretty well complete on installs.

Sorry WE OLD. but a complete set of repair books do have the way they installed even wetting stuff down .

Can you pull back the window gasket and see if there are holes in the window frame that match up with the trim. If so, they you probably have to remove the back glass. I bet @whitepunkonnitro might can tell you for sure. He's probably taken more of these apart than most people have ever seen.

The trim picture appears to be for on roof around the door not the rear window. The rear window trim should snap into place using the clips - not screwed in.

Keith, the clips hold the 2nd trim in place which I now know. I am going to attach a pic that shows 2 trim pieces go around the side and top of the rear window. Im sure that there is a way to do this but it looks like a ***** to get to. I will try making a screw driver just for this if i have to. I really dont want to remove the glass again. Although the back looked much easier to do then the front was! I dont have a close up of the back trim but here is a pick the shows 2 pieces of trim the outside trim is the one that should have gone behind the clips and then the clips hold the inside piece in place.
Copy of IMAG0004.jpg

Rod

Heres another pic that might show better the 2 trims that go around the rear window. I dont have any good pics to show this clearly so you might have to blow this up to see it. But if you look close you can see the trim that runs up the top of the rear quarter becomes the outer trim around the side and top of the rear window. Then there's another trim that goes completely all around the window inside the first piece. The outer trim is suppose to go behind the clips and then the clips hold the inner trim in place.
DSCN3245.JPG

Rod

I just went through something like this with my 64 Dart. The trim you need installed first should be installed before the glass goes in. That trim gets screwed into place using the trim clips as the hardware. Those trim clips then hold the weatherstrip trim in place.
I needed two clips at the bottom and I was able to rivet them into place from the inside of the trunk. If I needed the others, I would have had to pull the rear glass. There is not enough room between the body and the rubber to run a screw in or out. Let alone the fact you would need four hands to hold trim, screw in a clip and hold back rubber all at the same time. Good luck and let us know if you find a way to do it without pulling the glass.

I will try later today to find a way to get to the 12 screws but if i cant the question is can i remove the rear window without ruining the new rear window seal?
Damn, i hate it when i screw things up!
Rod

Since that weatherstrip uses the metal trim as the “lock strip” I would think you could remove it without incident. Unless you glued it in with a urethane.
After the first piece of trim is in, and the window is back in, don’t forget to throw a liberal amount of butyl sealer in the gap between the car body and the rubber window seal. This butyl will be covered by the metal trim that locks against the rubber and it will prevent water from working its way into the car. Butyl stays soft and flexible it’s whole life and doesn’t shrink. From what I can tell, the factory did this exact operation.

SO far I was able to get 10 of the 12 screws out. The going back together will be harder because of starting the screws. I may grind a little of the screw tip off which will give me a little more room but will make starting the screw slightly harder. As for the 2 I haven't gotten out yet it because the window sits slightly to the one side and there is just a slight less space to work with. Im done for a while as the wife has some chores for me since the sun is shining. lol. I will keep you updated. Doug.S thanks for the reminder of the butyl as I will be using it since the screw driver is pushing on the rubber seal and could possibly cut a small slice as I turn it! I am using a very thin and very long phillips to do this and the handle is so small and it makes gripping and turning very hard.
Rod

Working on my 66 Dart. I started polishing some of the trim that goes around the back window and I see that apparently the trim should have been put on before I had the rear window installed along with the rear clips. So now that the rear window is installed I was wondering what my options are? How can I take these clips that are screwed in out so I can put the trim on and move forward? Im adding some pics to show what Im up against.
Below you can see I already have the clips screwed in and the rubber blocks me ability to get at the screw heads.
View attachment 1715253221 View attachment 1715253222 View attachment 1715253223
Below you can see that the trim should have gone on before the clips and window. View attachment 1715253224 View attachment 1715253225 View attachment 1715253226
The two pics above show the trim that I need to install.
I will be anxiously awaiting a secret how to get this in without having to remove the rear window! Help!!
Rod
The clips only go along the bottom of the window to fasten the bottom stainless molding strip. The stainless molding pieces around the sides and top of the window should be screwed into place using short rubber coated screws, then the window with rubber molding installed.
If you have access to the side and top screw holes, where you have mistakenly placed the clips, you should be able to remove the clips and insert the stainless molding and screw it in place. If you don't wish to purchase the short molding screws with the rubber sealant, at least put some sealant on the screws to keep water from seeping into the screw holes.

The FSM assumes the stainless molding is in place and makes no mention of the order of installation. It's fairly useless to guide anyone who hasn't done this installation before.

They only used the Butyl and not a lot of it either.
65ChargerDart, I guess I need to look at the trim a little closer before I go any farther. I thought the inside stainless was held in place by the clip but your saying its not. How is it held in place? I know the outside is held on with the small screws but was thinking the clips went on there as well. I better take a look at it tonight before I go any farther. Either way I need to get the remaining 2 screws out and I know im going to have a tuff job getting them back in! Do you have any pics of this assembly as you did yours?
Thanks Rod

65ChargerDart, I guess I need to look at the trim a little closer before I go any farther. I thought the inside stainless was held in place by the clip but your saying its not. How is it held in place? I know the outside is held on with the small screws but was thinking the clips went on there as well. I better take a look at it tonight before I go any farther. Either way I need to get the remaining 2 screws out and I know im going to have a tuff job getting them back in! Do you have any pics of this assembly as you did yours?
Thanks Rod
I had to re- do my front glass and cleaned up butyl mess off seal with lacquer thinner. But that might be risky on your paint. If needed there, I would try alcohol.
Could you just back the screws out a little and cut a slot in trim to slide it on?

Keith, I thought about that but i decided to try to get them out first. I'm down to 1 screw, of course getting them back in is not going to be fun either. The good thing is 65 ChargerDart is saying that the top parts don't go into any clips so i dont have to put them back in.. I brought in the trim after some polishing of the headlight trims and placed them on the car. I agree that they dont get snapped into a clip but I'm not sure whats going to hold them in place. I"m hoping either 65ChargerDart or another Dart owner has some pics of theirs and how they installed them. Here are some pics of the trims from the rear side and some pics with them sitting in place.
Below is both trim pieces sitting in place.
DSCN0910.JPG

Below is the upper trim turned over and you can see no tabs to go into clips
DSCN0913.JPG

Below is just the outside trim that I will need to put my screws back into to hold it in place

DSCN0914.JPG

Below is the side trim that has about 6" on the bottom then goes up the side and will slide into the top trim piece. You can see the tabs for the lower side screw and the bottom screw.
DSCN0916.JPG

Below is the window area with no trim on and you can see the holes for the screws. I had put the clips all the way around but have taken them out now to hopefully put them back in for the trim.
DSCN0917.JPG

If anyone has pics of what holds the lower top trim in place I would like to see it.
Thanks Rod

Rod, I just had the “lower” piece of trim out on my 64. The “upper” piece is screwed into the body with the screws from the trim clips. The clips go all the way around the window, bottom, top, and both sides. The “lower” piece of trim will snap into place against the rubber of the weatherstrip and the clips hold it against the “upper” trim. There are three pieces of lower trim. Two for the top that slip into each other a bit and go down the sides. One straight piece that slips into the other two and still has clips holding it in place. Again, clips all the way around. If any are missing, that lower trim will not snap into place and stay.

Thanks Rod
I gave you incorrect information. It's been a long time since I removed mine and the bottom clips on my stainless trim were badly rusted and that's what stuck in my mind. You and others are correct that the inner stainless pieces are held on by the clips as there is no other way to attach them. Sorry for misleading you. I believe the outer stainless trim pieces need to be installed when the clips are being screwed in, as they are only attached by the clip screws.

I haven't installed my stainless moldings yet but have looked at them and it appears that the outer stainless molding is put in place first, then the clips are screwed in which holds the outer stainless molding in place, then the inner stainless is snapped into place.

I wouldn't say you mislead me. First I should have taken better pics as I tore it apart. Second I already had it screwed up when I just put the clips on and not the trim. I'm going to polish both the trim pieces and try to get it back on this weekend. I bought 2 new screwdrivers yesterday and plan to grind down the shafts so I can get closer to the rubber for a straighter shot at bolts. I know it's not going to be easy. Thanks for every ones help and advise. I will update as i attempted to get it put back together.

I wouldn't say you mislead me. First I should have taken better pics as I tore it apart. Second I already had it screwed up when I just put the clips on and not the trim. I'm going to polish both the trim pieces and try to get it back on this weekend. I bought 2 new screwdrivers yesterday and plan to grind down the shafts so I can get closer to the rubber for a straighter shot at bolts. I know it's not going to be easy. Thanks for every ones help and advise. I will update as i attempted to get it put back together.
wonder if the thin part of shank on one of these would be long enough?
Z20-J-fo5oz.jpg

How much would you have to compress the gasket with the screwdriver shaft to get a straight shot ? Is it possible to use a x-tra short bit and a 1/4" wrench?

-
Back