i swear i will...

-

Bulldozer

free ice cream sandwiches
Reaction score
.....chop this car in pieces.......Does it really encourage people to buy cars when the owners threaten to chop it up , cut it up, or part it out if it doesnt sell? are people more inclined to buy a car when it may be subjected to a demolition saw? any one buy a car because its about to be parted out? i see read this crap all the time ....

this pic is unrelated to any add..

Attachments

• cutup.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 270
if a seller threatens to cut it up or crush but is asking wayyyy more than scrap value .....then i usually think "what a pouty jerk, let him do it"

if a seller is making same threat but is asking scrap value or one or two hundred above scrap value then i think " i better hurry and get this before he does it for real"

if a seller threatens to cut it up or crush but is asking wayyyy more than scrap value .....then i usually think "what a pouty jerk, let him do it"

if a seller is making same threat but is asking scrap value or one or two hundred above scrap value then i think " i better hurry and get this before he does it for real"

Very well said.I agree 100%

i see this with complete cars. running and driving possibly, but complete. even "numbers matching" cars. they even set deadlines. my thought is this , if it doesnt sell and you are that sick of looking at it , just do it already and stop making threats about it. why do they want to threaten people with it and instead , just gut the thing and sell the parts...

Yikes! Poor Charger. Reminds me of my rusty 68 Charger, still have the rolling shell but it won't be around too much longer :glasses7:

I do hate when people threaten to cut cars up if they don't sell......all the parts from mine went to good homes, even the shell will help save 2 more cars, the roof is going on my friends 1970 Charger R/T 440+6 trac Pak Hemi orange car :glasses7: Every good part was pulled from this car, even after the pics were taken. Still need to pull the front suspension and 8 3/4 out, the roof comes off the remaining car will be in half, the firewall is good so I cut that section out, probably the rear tail panel too.

Attachments

• Picture 117.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 237
  • Picture 143.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 240
  • Picture 122.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 235
  • Picture 144.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Picture 126.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Picture 102.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 242
  • Picture 119.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 248
  • Picture 136.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 240
i see this with complete cars. running driving possibly, but complete. even "numbers matching" cars. they even set deadlines. my thought is this , if it doesnt sell and you are that sick of looking at it , just do it already and stop making threats about it. why would you want to tell people about it and instead , just gut the thing and sell the parts...

yup, no need to set deadines ...the scrap yard is a for sure buyer and they are always there LOL

Yikes! Poor Charger. Reminds me of my rusty 68 Charger, still have the rolling shell but it won't be around too much longer :glasses7:

I do hate when people threaten to cut cars up if they don't sell......all the parts from mine went to good homes, even the shell will help save 2 more cars, the roof is going on my friends 1970 Charger R/T 440+6 trac Pak Hemi orange car :glasses7: Every good part was pulled from this car, even after the pics were taken. Still need to pull the front suspension and 8 3/4 out, the roof comes off and the firewall is good so I will keep that too.

yup, even the dash frame from that poor charger is going in my coronet, for rally dash conversion:cheers:

I do hate when people threaten to cut cars up if they don't sell......all the parts from mine went to good homes, even the shell will help save 2 more cars, the roof is going on my friends 1970 Charger R/T 440+6 trac Pak Hemi orange car :glasses7:
yes Keith , that i completely understand. what i dont get is when folks lay out a for sale add for the complete car, and then later down the road threaten to chop it up when it doesnt sell for 4 to 5K . if there is more money in parts , then part it out already...LOL

to me when someone posts that they are going to chop it up if it doesnt sell fast, then i assume they are trying to sell it for more than it's worth, trying to wring a couple extra thousand off me. so i look elsewhere lol.

I don't care for those type of ads either unless they are really serious and the car is beyond reasonable repair. There are times I am glad for them to chop it up because it gives the rest of us a parts supply that we wouldn't have had. I have scored some good parts off those ads but usually they are just full of it.

I don't care for those type of ads either unless they are really serious and the car is beyond reasonable repair. There are times I am glad for them to chop it up because it gives the rest of us a parts supply that we wouldn't have had. I have scored some good parts off those ads but usually they are just full of it.
i agree that some must die so others can live. but to take a decent very restorable car and threaten to destroy it is just ridiculous. i also understand that this is not a sellers market right now. i've read adds all over the place stating it will be cut up and nobody will get it if you dont give me what i ask for it.....:violent1:

Well said. I really HATE to see people make empty threats. Lets see, buy my XYZ car its numbers matching and really clean with good documentation but I am going to cut it up and spend a long time and a lot of effort to make somewhere near my asking price. LOL. There is a guy on here pedaling his plum crazy Duster numbers matching 340 FC7 car, he is gonna part it out if you dont pay his price. I kinda lashed him for making that statement. I have a sold a few cars in my day and I make the decision right away whether or not to part it out.

Yup, I see these asshats all the time. When I was looking for a car to build, I found one near me, a 71 Demon, a real rust bucket, nothing left from the middle of the doors down. He wanted $1500 and not a penny less or it was going to the crusher. I offered him $500. No dice. It is still there 8 years later.

Jack

^ What she said (not sexual inuendo)

Some cars are just too far gone, and that's when it's time to strip it and scavenge it, to keep her siblings on the road a bit longer. Though I've never parted out a vehicle, I had a few I should've. Still, I've used quite a few scavenged parts and therefore I have no right to tell someone not to cut-up a parts car...

I do not like seeing nicer, more complete, less-rusty cars go to scrap/parts yards, but it's just the cold hard facts of life... I spied a beautiful blue '91 Impulse RS (one of 800 ever made) sitting in a parts yard circa 2003... Had a bit of body damage, but was otherwise in perfect shape! It must've been a mechanical failure that nobody wanted to spend the money on.... Yard wouldn't sell it with the title no matter how much convincing and coin I tried to throw at them, as they're a "pieces only" type of yard regardless on how complete or perfect the vehicle may be. Within six months, it was crushed. :sad2: And yes, I have lost sleep over that car.

Sh*t like that bothers me... Cash 4 Clunkers, a friend of mine who worked at a Ford dealership was tasked with blowing-up a cherry '95 Explorer XLT with 38,000 original miles; little old lady's truck... He had a VERY hard time blowing it up, but he absolutely had to... No other way around it.

Still, it's the owner's decision on the ultimate fate of their machine... If I wanted to take my Duster tomorrow to a crush yard and sell her for scrap, that's my choice... Will it happen? NEVER! But I still reserve the right to do so, no matter what anyone says.

So yeah... Now that I've vented, I'll go back to lurking the N&P, waiting for unsuspecting Liberals to harass. :evil2:

- CK

The real sad thing is they are worth more parted out than if they are left in 1 piece. If the guy does part it then he is called a fool for parting it. On cars for less than 2 grand it happens all the time. I have parted several already in the last few years because a complete car is worth over 2 grand stripped and parted but will not sell for anything over a grand. It is a double edged sword on those cars.

^ Exactly it too... Why sell a car for $1000, when the engine pulled is worth 500 (or a thousand if running, 1500 with trans, maybe even more depending on what it is), rear end 100-200, trans a few hundred or more, trim a few hundred, good panels a hundred or more, mirrors, interior pieces, suspension parts, drivetrain, etc. etc. etc.!?

- CK

i dont wanna but when we bring home a car we set a deadline to chop it up cause we cant have a car sitting in the front yard for more then two weeks then get complaints so i would say 1/2 the people are forced to have a deadline from previous times of doing it and know how long is too long.

if i could i would be like 66340 i kept a shell of a 75dart 4 door around for months until it went to the scrap yard cause i didnt want to chop it up and was hoping to sell the shell to someone for 100bucks or free if they hauled it i gave it to the junkyard basicly for the tow ride.

I get Old Cars weekly and several years ago was reading KENNY'S CLUNKERS, this is a for sale section for cheap cars

There was a 1981 Imperial for parts sale and the rest to the crusher

Well having a 1981 Imperial and knowing that it is a rare car with some Imperial only, 3 year parts thought I would call and see what was left.

He had taken every bit of the running gear out to use under a 40 Chrysler street rod. It was a 67,000 mile car complete body and interior. The 2 pieces that my car could have used were there, but not any better than what I had. So after talking to him for 20 min. Or so ask what will you take for the whole thing to be able to have extra body parts that in some point in the future if I were ever to need them.

He told me the crusher guy told him $100 for it and so if I wanted it for $100 I could have it.

So a trip to central IL. Was made and with my buddies F 350 crew cab dually with 460 and 4.10 gears I spent $157 for fuel to go get a $100 car. The body was in great shape almost complete interior, sunroof car which was a 1981 option only. There were just over 7200 '81 3,400 ' 82 and 1,700 '83 Imperials built, so sometimes it pays to check into these cars that are going to the crusher. He wasn't wanting to make a killing, but I think he figured out that it was a rare car before sending it to the crusher. He even gave me the fuel injection system off the car.

But the guys that want crazy money for their junk, even though rare junk needs to part them out doubt very few send them to the crusher just blowing smoke

-
Back